required work off the clock,ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• required work off the clock,ohio

My employer told me I had to do work off the clock on my non working hours. This is something that wasnt mentioned to me previously when I took the job.I have been with the company for 5 years and the last two years, they got a union in which has made things difficult, I am not a member. I was given 3 days off no pay for several things including not doing extra non paid activities. They also noted things that happened years ago beyond my control and are asking me to do things now that interfer with regular duties and not normally part of my job description. Do I have any recourse?

note; I am an hourly paid employee
    kem
    Last edited by kem; 01-28-2006, 08:19 AM.

You cannot be required to work without being paid for it. If you are working, you must be paid.

You can file a complaint with your state DOL.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You cannot be required to work without being paid for it. If you are working, you must be paid.

You can file a complaint with your state DOL.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

they wouldn't "mention" this during your interview, as this would be admitting that they intend to violate the law.....if you are a member of the bargaining unit you may be required (by contract) to go through the grievance process before you may seek other remedies. check with your steward or a member of the shop committee....please don't be too quick to blame "the union" for trouble..a lot of times (especially with a new union) the company will cause trouble in the hopes that people will ASSUME that the union is causing the problems, not that there aren't union "troublemakers" (at least i'd like to think i'm not alone)........

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X