X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian wants to marry American, and Stay in Canada

Hello

I've known an American woman for about 5 years now, we frequently talk on the phone, exchange emails, and chat on MSN, and we love each other very much.

I'm a Canadian born citizen, in Ontario, and we want to get married and live in Ontario, as soon as possible.

I've tried reading the CIC.gc.ca website for this specific situation but i cant seem to find it. I've read that some cases take upwards to a year or more, and honestly, we've been talking for years already, and we really don't want to wait another year before being together.

What is the quickest way for us to legally be together in Canada? I dont want to cut corners ether, because im worried it will come and bite us later.

I heard its much easier to immigrate to canada than america but dont have the particulars. Best to get a book on it down at the bookstore. I am guessing that it will be real real easy since your getting married and she if from america if she is an american citizen. If not talk to the lawyer.

Comment

Rather than a book that can be misinterpreted (or even wrong) I would recommend talking to the Canadian consulate in the city where the American lives.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Partly a good idea. She should probably call an immigration dept in canada since thats where she will be going.

Comment

Brant, since you haven't been here long, you wouldn't be aware of the fact that I am a dual citizen; Canadian and American, born in Canada. I know what I'm talking about.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Cbg, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.

Comment

I knew it.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X