This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit on car in AZ and seller resold the car. Arizona

Heres the story... I purchased a new to me car from AZ. Over the past few weeks I have been in negotiations with the seller getting him to the "right price" on the car. We finally settled on $16,000 and we both agreed upon me sending a $500 deposit via PayPal for the car to help cover his expenses for listing the car and ensure I was actually going to fly out from IL to AZ to pick up the car the following week. He knew ahead of time I would be flying out the following weekend with money in hand for the remaining balance of the car. This was all discussed via phone and in emails.

2 days prior to my flight out to pick up the car, the seller emails me saying he has now sold the car to another person locally for $16,900 and he will refund my deposit. But, not only have I booked a flight, I took 4 days off of work and booked hotels from AZ back to IL.

What are my legal rights in this situation? Am I supposed to eat my flight tickets and PTO, and just settle for a mere refund? What can I do?

You could "try" suing him in small claims court though keep in mind you are in two
    different states.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I am not saying that this is likely (or not likely), but in theory we have a "detrimental reliance" situation here. You could in theory get a AZ attorney and sue for actual damages in AZ under this theory.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

That's a thought too since the OP relied on the car being available & is
        out money due to the car being sold to someone else.

OP could certainly run it by an Az. attorney.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X