Help please Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please Wisconsin

I am in need of some help or information. I was previously married for 12 years in that 12 years I helped to raise 2 girls they are now 16 almost 17 and 15. My question is the 16 year old is now pregnant the mother refused to get her on birth control. Father in currently incarcerated until June of 2012, mother just got arrested last night for outstanding tickets. The mother now has custody of the child. But is very unfit, reason why the girls where taken from her in the first place. I guess I'm trying to figure out what it is that I can do for this child who is soon to be a mother. I know that she is not mature enough to do this all on her own and her mother tells her repeatedly that she is worthless and needs to move out. The mother has also kicked her out on numerous times and the child has called me to come and get her. My fiance and I are willing to take custody of her but I'm not sure that I have any rights in this matter. I just want her to get the help and the things that she needs.

Thanks

Best bet is to get mom to voluntarily give you guardianship in writing. If she won't do that, but allows it, the daughter can stay with you (must be with her knowledge) and she can stay until mom changes her mind. If she is deemed an unfit mother, you would probably need to get qualified as a foster parent.

Best bet would be to consult an attorney - many will give a free 1/2 hour consult.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by Katie.sue View Post
      I am in need of some help or information. I was previously married for 12 years in that 12 years I helped to raise 2 girls they are now 16 almost 17 and 15. My question is the 16 year old is now pregnant the mother refused to get her on birth control. Father in currently incarcerated until June of 2012, mother just got arrested last night for outstanding tickets. The mother now has custody of the child. But is very unfit, reason why the girls where taken from her in the first place. I guess I'm trying to figure out what it is that I can do for this child who is soon to be a mother. I know that she is not mature enough to do this all on her own and her mother tells her repeatedly that she is worthless and needs to move out. The mother has also kicked her out on numerous times and the child has called me to come and get her. My fiance and I are willing to take custody of her but I'm not sure that I have any rights in this matter. I just want her to get the help and the things that she needs.

Thanks

May I ask under what circumstances you raised the children?

There is a very specific reason why I'm asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
        May I ask under what circumstances you raised the children?

There is a very specific reason why I'm asking.
        I was married to their father. We recieved custody of them a month before we got married. Their mother was found unfit for numerous reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice Dodd View Post
          Best bet is to get mom to voluntarily give you guardianship in writing. If she won't do that, but allows it, the daughter can stay with you (must be with her knowledge) and she can stay until mom changes her mind. If she is deemed an unfit mother, you would probably need to get qualified as a foster parent.

Best bet would be to consult an attorney - many will give a free 1/2 hour consult.
          Mother won't I have asked her repeatedly. She doesn't want the child but yet doesn't want to give someone else custody. She wants to claim the State Aid

Comment

I was married to their father. We recieved custody of them a month before we got married. Their mother was found unfit for numerous reasons.

You don't have standing to get custody, I'm afraid.

I'm curious though as to who "took" the children from Mom and why, if she was deemed unfit by the court, she ended up getting custody back.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogmatique View Post
              You don't have standing to get custody, I'm afraid.

I'm curious though as to who "took" the children from Mom and why, if she was deemed unfit by the court, she ended up getting custody back.
              The courts took them from their mother. After me and their father got divorced he gave her back custody. He knew that he wouldn't be able to raise them. He wasn't one his feet to well the main reason why I left is because he couldn't grow up. Was into the drugs and is now in prison. I knew that I didn't have rights to her, just want to get her out of the situation that she is in. She could be a great young woman with struckture and sablity in her life. I fear for her and this baby that she is going to be bringing into this world.

Comment

I understand and think what you want to do has a lot of merit, however I also agree with the other responders.

It would not hurt to get a free consultation with an attorney to see if there isn't something that could be done.

Comment

The courts took them from their mother. After me and their father got divorced he gave her back custody. He knew that he wouldn't be able to raise them. He wasn't one his feet to well the main reason why I left is because he couldn't grow up. Was into the drugs and is now in prison. I knew that I didn't have rights to her, just want to get her out of the situation that she is in. She could be a great young woman with struckture and sablity in her life. I fear for her and this baby that she is going to be bringing into this world.

In other words, Mom is now presumed to be fit.

I'm sorry - I understand where you're coming from, but truly doubt there's anything you can do without Mom's consent.

If you genuinely think she's at risk, you can contact child services again. But the likely result (if they thought removal was appropriate) would be that she's removed from Mom's care and placed into foster care - not with you.

(Unless you go through the process of being approved as foster parents - and you'll want an attorney for that)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X