Abused Child Needs Court Mandated Change of Custody Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abused Child Needs Court Mandated Change of Custody Wisconsin

I have a friend who last night, had it not been for me, would have committed suicide. He comes from an abusive family and he can no longer stand it. He was physically abused as a young child, and has been severally verbally abused as a teenager. He is not a "suicidal," it's just that he cannot stand being abused by those he tries to care about most. And, he will do ANYTHING to get out, which is why I am really worried. They have gone to family counseling but that has not helped. He is really smart, in fact he is in the 99 percentile for both ACT & ACT, and has a 4.0, and has a job. He really just needs to get a court-mandated change of custody.

So what I am wondering is; if in fact we can find a person who would be willing to accept custody of him until he was 18, is there anyway to get a court to mandate this change?

His parents will not give up custody of him even if it is in the best interest of their child.

Originally posted by itsbetteronamac View Post
    I have a friend who last night, had it not been for me, would have committed suicide. He comes from an abusive family and he can no longer stand it. He was physically abused as a young child, and has been severally verbally abused as a teenager. He is not a "suicidal," it's just that he cannot stand being abused by those he tries to care about most. And, he will do ANYTHING to get out, which is why I am really worried. They have gone to family counseling but that has not helped. He is really smart, in fact he is in the 99 percentile for both ACT & ACT, and has a 4.0, and has a job. He really just needs to get a court-mandated change of custody.

So what I am wondering is; if in fact we can find a person who would be willing to accept custody of him until he was 18, is there anyway to get a court to mandate this change?

His parents will not give up custody of him even if it is in the best interest of their child.
    Either you or him or both need to report the abuse ASAP. The boy needs help and he needs it NOW. He needs to be in a safe home and he needs counseling. You are very wrong when you say that "he is not a "suicidal". Anyone who is emotionally upset and talks about suicide is in danger of actually commiting suicide, ACCIDENTLY. The person just wants out or for the pain to end so at first they talk and then a point comes where they actually act. So get him help now.

Comment

He never talks about being suicidal. He just acts. He has tried twice and failed. And the incedences were more than a year apart. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I would be able to get a court to deem his parents unfit and therefore someone could either be granted custody or adopt him?

Comment

Yes, you call the Department of Children's Services and report the abuse. He will be removed from the home and placed in foster care until an appropriate guardian can be assigned.... if ever.

For custody to be removed from the parents, a fairly lenghtly process must be started. However, in the mean time, he will be removed from the situation.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

He never talks about being suicidal. He just acts. He has tried twice and failed. And the incedences were more than a year apart. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I would be able to get a court to deem his parents unfit and therefore someone could either be granted custody or adopt him?
          You have been advised both here and on another site to help your friend by contacting CPS. Please help your friend by taking the advice of many knowledgeable people. On the other site you said that you believe that all he needs is to get away from his parents and he'll no longer be suicidal.
          Unfortunately the stats show that a person who has actually attempted suicide more than once will continue to consider it as an option for solving problems. As alot of us have said, your friend is in danger and needs help very badly. Please don't ignore his cries for help.
          Just so that you'll understand that I know what I'm talking about- I have suffered from depression my entire life, I have attempted suicide on 5 occasions, twice after being diagnosed and on medications. So I know how easy it is to get caught in the dangerous trap of believing being dead is the best solution to problems, and I truly believe your friend is rapidly becoming caught in that cycle.

Comment

I know he needs help and he is going to get it. Currently we are looking for someone who would be willing to have custody of him for the next year and a half. And the hope is that his parents will do what is the best interest of him, and hand over custody.

If this does not happen he will be contacting CPS, and just telling his parents the lost their last chance at ever helping him.

I know that anyone who is suicidal needs help as I have several close friends who have had problems in the past. It's just right now the most important thing seems to be trying to get him under the custody of someone who cares. As of tonight, and after a meeting with the police, he is staying at my house for the time being.

Comment

I know he needs help and he is going to get it. Currently we are looking for someone who would be willing to have custody of him for the next year and a half. And the hope is that his parents will do what is the best interest of him, and hand over custody.

If this does not happen he will be contacting CPS, and just telling his parents the lost their last chance at ever helping him.

I know that anyone who is suicidal needs help as I have several close friends who have had problems in the past. It's just right now the most important thing seems to be trying to get him under the custody of someone who cares. As of tonight, and after a meeting with the police, he is staying at my house for the time being.
              You don't understand this. You are making a medical diagnosis of your friend's condition without benefit of education or training.

YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR FRIEND. He needs to be seen by a mental health professional TODAY before his literal blood is on your hands.

Stop playing doctor. You are gambling with your friend's life that you have watched enough "ER" and "Grey's Anatomy" to be able diagnosis the root cause of his depression. And you would be wrong.
              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

One I don't remotely believe that I have the ability to diagnose a medical problem. I can help him get medical and professional help which I am doing, but he has to be the one to take the final step and actually walk through the door. That is the one thing that I cannot do for him.

And, since he is currently not about to walk through that door, I need to do whatever else I can. But my opinion, just as a human being, is that he is not suicidal. I think he values his life too much, and that's why he hasn't been able to go through with it.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X