OT: Lemony Snicket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Lemony Snicket

I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their school
    year yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitely
    deserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the film
    very much.

I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully
    (though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not really
    into story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A nice
    surprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actually
    get to *see* him. <sob>

Tai

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:18:34 +1100, "Tai" <[email protected]> wrote:
    I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their schoolyear yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitelydeserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the filmvery much.I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully(though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not reallyinto story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A nicesurprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actuallyget to *see* him. <sob>Tai
    Six months ago you never heard of Lemony Snicket now he is "all the
    rage". Piffle.

Although your sentiments about Jude Law agree with you.

Em

Be careful what you wish for....

Comment

Auntie Em wrote:
      I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their school year yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitely deserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the film very much. I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully (though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not really into story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A nice surprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actually get to *see* him. <sob> Tai
      Six months ago you never heard of Lemony Snicket now he is "all the rage". Piffle.
      LOL

I didn't even realise there was a movie until a couple of weeks ago and went
      without knowing who any of the actors are. The boy looked familiar and I
      think he was in "Stepmom". (Possibly a movie you've managed to avoid
      seeing!) My son started reading the books at least three years ago, though,
      and I've read the first two or three and been happy to stop there.

I wonder if anyone's doing a screen version of the "Artemis Fowl" books?
      Although your sentiments about Jude Law agree with you.
      It's nice to know we can find common ground sometimes, Em!

Btw, did you like him in "Cold Mountain"? So far I seem to be the only
      person I know who very much enjoyed that movie ...

Tai

Comment

>> Although your sentiments about Jude Law agree with you.
        It's nice to know we can find common ground sometimes, Em!Btw, did you like him in "Cold Mountain"? So far I seem to be the onlyperson I know who very much enjoyed that movie ...Tai

I don't get this one. I understand, from other's, that he is considered
        attractive. I just don't see it, *at all*. If I were to rate him on a scale
        of one to ten, with ten being the highest, I'd rate him a four. He just
        doesn't do a *thing* for me.

Sheila

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
          Auntie Em <[email protected]> wrote:
          I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their schoolyear yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitelydeserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the filmvery much.I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully(though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not reallyinto story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A nicesurprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actuallyget to *see* him. <sob>Tai
          Six months ago you never heard of Lemony Snicket now he is "all the rage". Piffle.
          my D12 and her friends have been reading the series for several years.
          The UF series has been all the rage for quite a bit longer than six
          months.

Comment

Lemony Snicket

"Tai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]
            I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their
            school
            year yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitely deserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the film very much. I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully (though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not
            really
            into story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A
            nice
            surprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actually get to *see* him. <sob> Tai
            We're seeing it this weekend. It's playing at the $3.00 theater up the road.
            A local family restored a 1920's theater and shows first run films for 3
            bucks!

Comment

Lemony Snicket

I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their
              school
              year yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitely deserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the film very much. I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully (though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not
              really
              into story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A
              nice
              surprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actually get to *see* him. <sob>
              I'll probably be taking my littles (DS9 and DDalmost7) to this one this
              weekend. The movie looks good, but....dang, those books are overpriced! I'm
              glad DS9 didn't jump on them after we finished up all the Harry Potters
              available.

Comment

Btw, did you like him in "Cold Mountain"? So far I seem to be the only person I know who very much enjoyed that movie ...
                I really liked Cold Mountain, but mostly for Renee Zellweiger. I honestly
                believe it's possible that's the only movie I've seen Jude Law in so far,
                and I really don't remember much about his performance one way or another.
                He's definitely not "my type," though.

Comment

Auntie Em <[email protected]> writes:
                  What "you" do you mean? Maybe _you_ never heard of Lemony Snicket six
                  months ago. Most people with kids have known about him for years.

Comment

"Tai" <[email protected]> writes:
                    I took DS14 and DD12 to see Lemony Snicket today. They finished their school year yesterday, their reports were gratifying to read and they definitely deserved a treat to start off their summer holiday. Both enjoyed the film very much. I thought it was well acted by both the adults and children, beautifully (though darkly) and imaginatively crafted and quite good but I'm not really into story lines where the hook is a "series of unfortunate events"! A nice surprise was that it is narrated by Jude Law, although you don't actually get to *see* him. <sob>
                    Hmm. My wife has a thing for Jude Law too. Furthermore he ssems to
                    be in virtually every movie released in the last few months (Alfie,
                    Closer, Sky Captain..., Unfortunate Events. ...)

A busy guy.

My kids love the books which have a good sense of humor, though a dark
                    one. I'm sure we'll end up going to the movie...

Comment

Auntie Em wrote:
                      Maybe YOU had never heard of Lemony Snicket but the words have
                      frequently been heard in this house for a few years now. A very
                      popular series of books.

Tracey

Comment

Tai wrote:
                        I wonder if anyone's doing a screen version of the "Artemis Fowl" books?
                        Hmmm. We'll have to brainstorm a bit and figure out who to put up
                        for Butler.

Tracey

Comment

WhansaMi wrote:
                          Although your sentiments about Jude Law agree with you.It's nice to know we can find common ground sometimes, Em!Btw, did you like him in "Cold Mountain"? So far I seem to be the onlyperson I know who very much enjoyed that movie ...Tai I don't get this one. I understand, from other's, that he is considered attractive. I just don't see it, *at all*. If I were to rate him on a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest, I'd rate him a four. He just doesn't do a *thing* for me.
                          The first time I remember seeing Jude Law was in the movie 'Gattica'.
                          That was such a strange movie, IMO. Anyway, Jude Law wouldn't rate as
                          low as a four for me, more along the lines of a six or seven. As
                          a comparison, Oded Fehr in 'The Mummy' and Vigo Mortenson in LOTR
                          are more my idea of 9's or 10's.

But, then again, I think Tim Curry in the Rocky Horror Picture Show
                          is a 9 or 10, too. :P~

Tracey

Comment

Tai wrote in news:[email protected]al.net:
                            Btw, did you like him in "Cold Mountain"? So far I seem to be the only person I know who very much enjoyed that movie ...
                            SO's daughter has insisted we *have* to see the movie, she loved it... we
                            haven't as of yet. We have so very little time together that we rarely
                            spend it watching movies or TV.

--
                            Cal~

Calinda dot Letter S at Gmail dot com

Comment

WhansaMi wrote in news:[email protected]:
                              I don't get this one. I understand, from other's, that he is considered attractive. I just don't see it, *at all*. If I were to rate him on a scale of one to ten, with ten being the highest, I'd rate him a four. He just doesn't do a *thing* for me.
                              He's a boy. I like men. I think that's why he doesn't do anything for
                              me.

--
                              Cal~

Calinda dot Letter S at Gmail dot com

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X