• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Families of US torops in Iraq launch campaign for their return

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Tom wrote:
    "Ignoramus4661" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    Finally, even the dumbest people are catching on to what I was sayingmonths ago.iIn article <[email protected]>, AFP / Pascal
    Barollier
    wrote:
    > WASHINGTON, Aug 14 (AFP) - The families of more than 600 US troops
    in
    Iraq
    >have launched a campaign for their return, bitterly criticizing
    President
    >George W. Bush's reasons for going to war and what they see as his>belittlement of the risks.> "George Bush said, 'Bring them on,'" said Nancy Lessin, co-founder
    of
    >Military Families Speak Out, referring to the president's response to post-war
    >attacks on US troops occupying post-war Iraq.> "Those three words galvanized Military Families Speak Out, Veterans
    for
    >Peace and other veterans' organizations to initiate the campaign we are>launching today," she said.> "We say, 'Bring them home now.' Bring them home because our troops
    should
    >not have been in Iraq in the first place.> "Bring them home because there was no imminent danger to the United>States. Bring them home because there were no weapons of mass
    destruction.
    >Bring them home because there was no link between al-Qaeda and Saddam
    Hussein,
    >" said Lessin.> "We are here today to say it was wrong for the US to invade Iraq, it
    is
    >wrong for the US to be occupying Iraq, and there is no right way to do
    a
    wrong
    >thing."> Members of her group rallied in Washington on Wednesday and Thursday
    at
    >Fort Bragg, North Carolina, home of the 82nd Airbourne Infantry. They
    stressed
    >that most of them were Republicans, had voted for Bush and had
    supported
    the
    >war based on intelligence presented early this year.> "From proud liberators in the great American tradition, our troops
    have
    >become oppressors and occupiers in a hostile nation," said Susan
    Shuman,
    whose
    >son is in the Massachusetts National Guard serving in Iraq.> "Our troops are stuck in a quagmire of urban desert guerrilla
    warfare
    for
    >which they are not prepared or equipped," she said.> "My question to Mr. Bush is, 'How many more of our sons do you need
    to
    >bring our children home?'" said Fernando Suarez de Solar, whose son,
    Jesus
    >Alberto, was killed in action in Iraq.> "How many American lives are worth one gallon of oil?," he mused.> Stan Goff of Raleigh, North Carolina, a 26-year career soldier and
    retired
    >Special Forces master Sergeant, was bitter about the war.> "You know, in all the administration's fictions of weapons of mass>destruction and nuclear programs and ... the phony al-Qaeda connections
    that
    >are being exposed as fabrications, this is not the rule of law," he
    said.
    > "This is the rule of bombs and bullets. These are rich men in very>expensive suits conducting statecraft like gangsters.> "The US does have a responsibility to Iraq and to the people of Iraq
    to
    >clean up the mess that we have made," said Charlie Richardson,
    co-founder of
    >Military Families Speak Out.> But, he added, "It can't be done with US troops. In launching the
    'Bring
    >Them Home Now' campaign, we are calling on military families and others
    in the
    >military and veterans communities to speak out against the use of our
    troops
    >as cannon fodder ... against the reckless occupation of Iraq."> pb/aln/jlp>US-Iraq-families
    It's an all volunteer Military. Even in my day I saw very few draftees.
    I
    did many things my parents didn't want me to do, let alone me! It isn't
    the
    parents obligation to help their children leave a hostile environment,
    they
    are full grown adults who have made a choice. Do you think the parents
    of
    the children of WWII wanted them there? Of course not, but at least they supported their country and prayed for a save return of their children whilst they were ridding the world of unsavory leaders. I have many friends in Iraq today and I would rather them be home then there, but I know it's only a job, and an important job at that. I pray
    for
    them to be save and to apply what they learned in their training. With
    both,
    they will come out alive and better people than they were before. Yep, that Iraq occupation is pretty dangerous. There are almost as many GIs getting killed in Iraq as there are murders in Cleveland. Bob
    There will be elections coming up soon. This would appear to be a 'cause
    celebre' for the democrats, along with the fact that all the problems in
    California and all the other states and the US are the republicans fault.

Comment

Jake Nichols <[email protected]guy.net> wrote:
      On 18 Aug 2003 20:52:52 GMT, "rallain" <[email protected]> wrote:
      There will be elections coming up soon. This would appear to be a'cause celebre' for the democrats, along with the fact that all theproblems in California and all the other states and the US are therepublicans fault.
      California has had a democratic governor for years.
      5 of them. Deregulation was Pete Wilson's baby. Not that Gray Davis wasn't
      equally behind it. Worthless, both of them, and it was much to my dismay
      no Democrat with the clout to run challenged Davis for the nomination last
      year.

I have no idea if Bustamente is any better.

Comment

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:17:50 -0700, [email protected] (Marcus Ulpius
        Traianus) wrote:
        Jake Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
        On 18 Aug 2003 20:52:52 GMT, "rallain" <[email protected]> wrote:
        There will be elections coming up soon. This would appear to be a'cause celebre' for the democrats, along with the fact that all theproblems in California and all the other states and the US are therepublicans fault.
        California has had a democratic governor for years.
        5 of them. Deregulation was Pete Wilson's baby. Not that Gray Davis wasn'tequally behind it. Worthless, both of them, and it was much to my dismayno Democrat with the clout to run challenged Davis for the nomination lastyear.I have no idea if Bustamente is any better.

Personally, I gave up on all California politics when I moved from
        there back in 1990... after I moved to florida, I recieved political
        mailings asking for my *vote* in some election.. needless to say I
        fired off a really nasty letter to them about wasting donations and
        money sending me information long after I moved and established
        residency in another state.

Had the mailing actually been forwarded to me by the post office, I
        would have understood.. but they had my new address in their database
        as a registered voter for the state, which clearly I wasn't anymore
        since I had a vehicle, drivers license and was registered to vote in
        florida... thank the gods I moved BEFORE this last presidential
        election.. talk about a fiasco.

JC

Comment

Jake Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
          On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:17:50 -0700, [email protected] (Marcus Ulpius Traianus) wrote:
          equally behind it. Worthless, both of them, and it was much to my dismayno Democrat with the clout to run challenged Davis for the nomination lastyear.
          Personally, I gave up on all California politics when I moved from there back in 1990...
          Sadly, I can see why. And local politics in the Bay Area are, if anything,
          worse.

Trajan

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X