Growing number of white parents adopt black babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[email protected] (megan) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
    Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who are ready to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go around. So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links with that country. The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. M
    Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there are
    almost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?

Comment

>Subject: Re: Growing number of white parents adopt black babies
      From: [email protected] (Dian)Date: 12/5/2004 2:40 AM Pacific Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>me [email protected] (megan) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected] google.com>...
      Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who are
      ready
      to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go
      around.
      So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links with that country. The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. M
      Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there arealmost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?
      I'd be curious to see if she answers your question.

Kathy

Comment

[email protected] (Dian) wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
        Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who are ready to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go around. So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links with that country. The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. M
        Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there are almost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?
        Absolutely. The choice was an obvious one for us. We could wait
        indefinitely for a white new born or adopt older kids from O/S. As
        age was also a factor we couldn't afford to wait if we wanted kids.
        Like I said earlier overseas adoption was not a second choice. My
        thinking on this was that the few local babies available would be
        snapped up immediately by those who desparately wanted a baby. And
        before you wheel out the old line about adopting overseas to avoid
        complications with birth parents, we have spent the past year trying
        to track down my daughter's birth relatives. (No luck yet) My son's
        birth parents are known to us, that is we have names and addresses,
        but as he suffered abuse at their hands we will wait until he is much
        older before we start down that track.
        Does that answer your question?
        M

Comment

Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there are almost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?
          Why is this a problem, even if it's true?

Unless you are looking to adopt a particular individual, you adopt
          where you can. We adopted in my country, where the ratio is adverse --
          too many babies, too few adopters. Had it not been so, we would have
          adopted a child from a different country without a qualm -- not as
          second best, but less immediate.

Rupa

Comment

> Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who are ready > to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go around. > So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links with that country. The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. M
            Absolutely. The choice was an obvious one for us. We could wait indefinitely for a white new born or adopt older kids from O/S. As age was also a factor we couldn't afford to wait if we wanted kids. Like I said earlier overseas adoption was not a second choice.
            So in reality O/S adoption wasn't your first choice at all. It was the
            only avenue open to you.

My
            thinking on this was that the few local babies available would be snapped up immediately by those who desparately wanted a baby. And before you wheel out the old line about adopting overseas to avoid complications with birth parents, we have spent the past year trying to track down my daughter's birth relatives. (No luck yet) My son's birth parents are known to us, that is we have names and addresses, but as he suffered abuse at their hands we will wait until he is much older before we start down that track. Does that answer your question? M
            How old is much older?

Comment

"BaD *** Me" <[email protected]> wrote
              It took me a while to think about this before I answered. I still cant say I understand how parents with so many kids are able to show each one the proper amount of attention but I do have to admit that it seems like they manage. Maybe my husband and I just arent as (whatever) as parents with a lot of kids. We struggle to see that each of our has 'their' time.
              To tell the truth, I don't even know how people with 3 kids do it, and
              I can't visualize coping with 4. My two were a handful for me -- and I
              had lots of help.

Some people are just plain talented.

Rupa

Comment

From: [email protected] (megan)Date: 12/5/2004 6:47 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>p [email protected] (Dian) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected] oogle.com>...
                [email protected] (megan) wrote in message
                news:<[email protected] com>...
                > Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who
                are ready
                > to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go
                around.
                > So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links with that country. The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. M Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there are almost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?
                Absolutely. The choice was an obvious one for us. We could waitindefinitely for a white new born or adopt older kids from O/S.
                Are there no programs in Oz whatsoever to adopt older domestic children?
                What happens to older kids who have been abandoned, abused, neglected, or
                separated from their families by death, disease, mental illness, and/or
                addiction?

Dad

Comment

From: [email protected] (Dian)Date: 12/6/2004 12:39 AM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected] >
                  < snip >
                  Absolutely. The choice was an obvious one for us. We could wait indefinitely for a white new born or adopt older kids from O/S. As age was also a factor we couldn't afford to wait if we wanted kids. Like I said earlier overseas adoption was not a second choice.So in reality O/S adoption wasn't your first choice at all. It was theonly avenue open to you.
                  So what if it was, Diane? I would like to live rent free in a luxury suite
                  at Lincoln Financial FIeld, but I'll make the best of the choices that are
                  available to me.
                  My thinking on this was that the few local babies available would be snapped up immediately by those who desparately wanted a baby. And before you wheel out the old line about adopting overseas to avoid complications with birth parents, we have spent the past year trying to track down my daughter's birth relatives. (No luck yet) My son's birth parents are known to us, that is we have names and addresses, but as he suffered abuse at their hands we will wait until he is much older before we start down that track. Does that answer your question? MHow old is much older?
                  When her parents feel that he can handle it emotionally. Duh.

Dad

Comment

From: [email protected] (Rupa Bose)Date: 12/5/2004 7:14 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>p [email protected] (Dian) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected] oogle.com>...
                    > Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who
                    are ready
                    > to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go
                    around.
                    > So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links with that country. The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. M Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there are almost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?
                    Why is this a problem, even if it's true?
                    Beats me.

I'm sure that most mothers would prefer to raise their child with a dedicated
                    and committed partner. Given their obvious preference, would Dian question
                    their decision to keep and raise their child as a single parent given it was
                    not their "first" choice? We all know the answer to that one.

It's obvious where Dian's objections lie, and it has nothing to do with
                    "settling" for the less than optimum.

Dad

Comment

On 06 Dec 2004 12:13:54 GMT, [email protected] (AdoptaDad) wrote:
                      Subject: Re: Growing number of white parents adopt black babiesFrom: [email protected] (megan)Date: 12/5/2004 6:47 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>p [email protected] (Dian) wrote in messagenews:<[email protected] oogle.com>...
                      > > Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who
                      are ready
                      > > to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go
                      around.
                      > > So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race. > > > Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive > families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many > reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation > prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were > familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and > aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links > with that country. > The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research. > M Your choice to look O/S wasn't persuaded by the fact that there are almost no local/white babies to adopt in Oz by any chance?
                      Absolutely. The choice was an obvious one for us. We could waitindefinitely for a white new born or adopt older kids from O/S. Are there no programs in Oz whatsoever to adopt older domestic children?What happens to older kids who have been abandoned, abused, neglected, orseparated from their families by death, disease, mental illness, and/oraddiction?Dad
                      No, there is only a very limited push to adopt a very few local
                      children. Children in this situation preferably remain in foster care
                      until they have to fend for themselves (age varies from 16 years to 18
                      years).

If you check out http://www.acwa.asn.au/BMF/BMF_News_Index.html you
                      will see details of a handful of children in N.S.W. needing mainly
                      foster placement, mostly children with challenging behaviour and
                      severe disabilities. There are only 5 available for adoption, and I
                      recognise some of them from previous newsletters as having serious
                      disabilities.

We investigated the local scene regarding special needs and older
                      child adoption while we were adopting children from overseas. We sent
                      in a written application to adopt a local special needs child, should
                      one become available for adoption. There is certainly a constant need
                      here in Australia, but the children needing families were not
                      available for adoption. They would be placed in our family and every
                      year the court could review the placement and decide whether the child
                      should remain in care. Even if care was removed from the birth
                      family, a permanent care order was not made in any particular family's
                      favor so a social worker could move the child from us on a whim and
                      place them in another family.

Overseas adoption looked far more secure to us and the need was
                      certainly there, so it was an easy decision.

Julia

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X