• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing number of white parents adopt black babies

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...da/counties/br
    oward_county/10286350.htm

Growing number of white parents adopt black babies

With few adoptable white babies available, an increasing number of white
    Canadians and Europeans, along with white Americans, are adopting American-born
    black or biracial infants.

BY ROBERTO SANTIAGO

[email protected]

Cuddling her week-old son, Henry, Jane says she is ready to face the challenge
    of being a single white mother to a black child.

But right now, there are more important things to think about.

''Henry will always know who he is -- an African-American man raised by a white
    mother who adores him,'' she said. ``We'll handle the challenges that are ahead
    of us. But right now, I need to change his diaper.''

Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who are ready
    to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go around.
    So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race.

Although Jane is from Seattle, most prospective parents come from Western
    European countries and Canada, seeking to adopt black, Hispanic or biracial
    babies from private adoption agencies in the United States.

''Whether it is the United States or in Canada, our priority is to place a
    child in a wonderful, loving, supportive home,'' said Nidia Sica, assistant
    director of Adoption by Shepherd Care, a private adoption agency in Hollywood.
    ``We place our children with the best families out there.''

Most private U.S. agencies working with parents from Canada or overseas find
    that they place mainly black infants, followed by biracial and black Hispanic
    infants.

And white babies, including Hispanic infants -- in highest demand among
    American couples -- are generally adopted within the United States.

Shepherd Care's placement of mixed-race babies with white families almost
    doubled in 2000. Of the 40 babies it placed for adoption that year, 20 were
    mixed-race infants placed with white families in the United States or Canada.

Changes in federal laws make it easier to do cross-racial adoptions:

• The 1994 Multi-Ethnic Placement Act declared that adoption agencies that
    receive federal aid could no longer prevent families from adopting children of
    other races.

• In 1997, the Safe Families Act created financial incentives for states to
    choose adoption over foster care.

''Private adoption agencies decided to encourage transracial adoptions,'' Sica
    said. ``Many people still don't know that they don't have to go to China or the
    Ukraine to adopt a child. They can opt for transracial adoption.''

And the costs are in families' favor.

The average adoption of a healthy Caucasian baby can take years and fees can
    run as high as $40,000, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human
    Services.

For mixed-race children, it can take a few months and cost $10,000 to $18,000.

Private agencies cap their adoption fees for mixed-race infants.

Shepherd Care charges $8,500.

The cost of adopting a white baby can exceed $22,000, according to Sica.

This year, Shepherd Care placed half of its black infants (seven) and one-third
    of its biracial infants (four) in Canada, Sica said.

Adoption-Link of Oak Park, Ill., placed one-third of its mixed-race infants
    (20) in Canada, Germany, France and Austria, director Cheryl Kinnaird said.

Hope Services, an adoption agency in Abbotsford, British Columbia, works with
    private adoption agencies in the United States.

''Seventy percent of the [50] infants we place here are African American, and
    all are from the United States,'' said Lorne Welwood, Hope Services' director.
    ``All of our families are white, all of them want a child, and almost all who
    call specify they want a black child.''

Canadians prefer black babies because the adoption process is quicker, easier
    and less expensive than if they were opting for a child from China, Guatemala
    or Eastern Europe, Welwood said.

``Adoptive parents don't have to deal with visas, language or cultural
    barriers. They can get immediate access to the baby's medical records. They can
    get background information on the birth mother. And, above all, they can get an
    infant. Everyone wants an infant.''

The demand for black or mixed-race babies has also grown in the United States,
    particularly in Washington, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado, Michigan and
    Minnesota.

Adoption agencies place 30 to 40 children a year in those states, accounting
    for more than half of the infants not adopted from Canada or overseas.

''For whatever reason, those are the choice states,'' said Mary Porter, an
    international adoption recruiter for Shepherd Care.

''White parents are not on a mercy mission,'' said Jane Bareman, executive
    director of Adoption Associates in Jenison, Mich. ``They are not saving the
    world. Beyond anything else, white couples want to adopt a child and raise a
    family. They need a child in their lives.''

The demand is so high that Adoption Associates has a list of 12 white families
    waiting for a mixed-race child. In prior years, it has been four or five
    families.

''This is the highest we have ever had our waiting list,'' Bareman said.

Last year, Adoption Associates placed 130 babies domestically. Thirty-seven of
    those were mixed-race babies placed with white families, primarily in Michigan,
    with one going to Canada.

With such private adoption agencies as Shepherd Care, the birth mother gets to
    choose where her child will be placed.

That is why Jane, a human resources manager, feels especially privileged.

The birth mother picked Jane, a 43-year-old single woman, over married couples.

''She saw qualities in Jane that she loved,'' Sica said. ``A large, loving,
    extended family. An established career. She owns a beautiful home. And most of
    all, she was moved by Jane's lifelong need to become a mother.''

Some American birth mothers prefer Canadians over Americans.

Olvia, a 22-year-old Salvadoran-Dominican birth mother from Hollywood who is
    seven months pregnant, is choosing a young, successful Canadian couple over
    American candidates for her baby.

''What they offer is the kind of life I would want for my child if I could
    afford it,'' she said, fighting back tears.

Shepherd Care caseworker Michelle Campo and her husband adopted three black
    infants 15 years ago.

The Campos did not think that race would be much of an issue. They were quickly
    proved wrong.

''Race is an issue to other people,'' Michelle Campo said. ``They will make it
    an issue every single day of your life. I now understood the world through my
    children.''

-------------------------
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend will
    be sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"
    -----Unknown

"LilMtnCbn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...da/counties/br oward_county/10286350.htm Growing number of white parents adopt black babies With few adoptable white babies available, an increasing number of white Canadians and Europeans, along with white Americans, are adopting
    American-born
    black or biracial infants. BY ROBERTO SANTIAGO [email protected]
    I know of a white family that has 16 adopted children, almost 1/2 either
    black or Hispanic. 13 are at home right now and what a transportation
    problem!

Mike D.

---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.798 / Virus Database: 542 - Release Date: 11/18/2004

Comment

>Subject: Re: Growing number of white parents adopt black babies
      From: "Mike Dobony" [email protected]Date: 11/29/2004 4:28 PM Mountain Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>"LilMtnCbn" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
      http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...da/counties/br oward_county/10286350.htm Growing number of white parents adopt black babies With few adoptable white babies available, an increasing number of white Canadians and Europeans, along with white Americans, are adopting
      American-born
      black or biracial infants. BY ROBERTO SANTIAGO [email protected]
      I know of a white family that has 16 adopted children, almost 1/2 eitherblack or Hispanic. 13 are at home right now and what a transportationproblem!Mike D.
      Even with the transportation problem, I'll bet the kids are a lot happier
      having a family to bicker with over "who gets the car".

-----Unknown

Comment

| >Subject: Re: Growing number of white parents adopt black babies
        | >From: "Mike Dobony" [email protected]
        | >Date: 11/29/2004 4:28 PM Mountain Standard Time
        | >Message-id: <[email protected]>
        | >
        | >
        | >"LilMtnCbn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        | >news:[email protected]
        | >>
        http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...da/counties/br
        | >> oward_county/10286350.htm
        | >>
        | >> Growing number of white parents adopt black babies
        | >>
        | >> With few adoptable white babies available, an increasing number of
        white
        | >> Canadians and Europeans, along with white Americans, are adopting
        | >American-born
        | >> black or biracial infants.
        | >>
        | >> BY ROBERTO SANTIAGO
        | >>
        | >> [email protected]
        | >>
        | >
        | >I know of a white family that has 16 adopted children, almost 1/2 either
        | >black or Hispanic. 13 are at home right now and what a transportation
        | >problem!
        | >
        | >Mike D.
        |
        | Even with the transportation problem, I'll bet the kids are a lot happier
        | having a family to bicker with over "who gets the car".
        |
        |
        | -------------------------
        | A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend
        will
        | be sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"
        | -----Unknown

Having 4 kids myself I have often wondered how parents are able to provide
        the one on one attention that kids need when you have so many. I know as a
        SAHM who homeschools I have more time than many do to devote to the kids,
        but even then it can be hard. If you dont homeschool then your children are
        out of the home for the majority of the waking day and evenings are filled
        with baths, homework, extra-curricular activities, cooking dinner and
        cleaning up. I am curious to know how those with extremely large family are
        able to devote adequate time to each child through out the day? Besides the
        monthly days we devote to each child. (ie if their birthday is on the 7th
        then the 7th of each month is their day) I strive for 1 - 1 1/2 hours with
        each child uninterupted each day. This adds up when you are talking about
        alot of kids. Im just curious.?.?
        --
        BaD *** Me

Comment

> Jane is among a growing number of white couples and single women who are ready
          to become parents but find that there are not enough white babies to go around. So they decide to adopt a baby of a different race.

Well I think this is total crap. Speaking for myself and all adoptive
          families of my aquaintance, we adopted across racial lines for many
          reasons. We certainly don't view our Asian kids as a consolation
          prize. We chose to adopt from their country of birth because we were
          familiar with and admired the culture. We have many friends and
          aquaintances from that country and continue to maintain strong links
          with that country.
          The journalist needs to learn the value of adequate research.
          M

Comment

"BaD *** Me" <[email protected]> wrote
            Having 4 kids myself I have often wondered how parents are able to provide the one on one attention that kids need when you have so many. I know as a SAHM who homeschools I have more time than many do to devote to the kids, but even then it can be hard. If you dont homeschool then your children are out of the home for the majority of the waking day and evenings are filled with baths, homework, extra-curricular activities, cooking dinner and cleaning up. I am curious to know how those with extremely large family are able to devote adequate time to each child through out the day? Besides the monthly days we devote to each child. (ie if their birthday is on the 7th then the 7th of each month is their day) I strive for 1 - 1 1/2 hours with each child uninterupted each day. This adds up when you are talking about alot of kids. Im just curious.?.?
            I've often wondered about this myself. (For me, two kids is "many.")
            However, the families I've seen with lots of kids seem to be just fine
            -- warm, friendly places that are very kid-positive. For one thing,
            the kids are not the same age. The older ones tend to care for the
            younger ones, at the very least by setting an example and an
            expectation of certain types of behaviour. Enforcing household rules
            is easier when you have the critical mass; I don't see parents getting
            into as many "Why should I?" discussions.

I like your formula for ensuring that each kid gets enough parental
            face-time. It's too easy when lives are really busy to plan to spend
            time with kids, but not to do it.

Rupa

Comment

"Rupa Bose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:[email protected] om...
              | "BaD *** Me" <[email protected]> wrote
              | >
              | > Having 4 kids myself I have often wondered how parents are able to
              provide
              | > the one on one attention that kids need when you have so many. I know
              as a
              | > SAHM who homeschools I have more time than many do to devote to the
              kids,
              | > but even then it can be hard. If you dont homeschool then your children
              are
              | > out of the home for the majority of the waking day and evenings are
              filled
              | > with baths, homework, extra-curricular activities, cooking dinner and
              | > cleaning up. I am curious to know how those with extremely large family
              are
              | > able to devote adequate time to each child through out the day? Besides
              the
              | > monthly days we devote to each child. (ie if their birthday is on the
              7th
              | > then the 7th of each month is their day) I strive for 1 - 1 1/2 hours
              with
              | > each child uninterupted each day. This adds up when you are talking
              about
              | > alot of kids. Im just curious.?.?
              |
              | I've often wondered about this myself. (For me, two kids is "many.")
              | However, the families I've seen with lots of kids seem to be just fine
              | -- warm, friendly places that are very kid-positive. For one thing,
              | the kids are not the same age. The older ones tend to care for the
              | younger ones, at the very least by setting an example and an
              | expectation of certain types of behaviour. Enforcing household rules
              | is easier when you have the critical mass; I don't see parents getting
              | into as many "Why should I?" discussions.
              |
              | I like your formula for ensuring that each kid gets enough parental
              | face-time. It's too easy when lives are really busy to plan to spend
              | time with kids, but not to do it.
              |
              | Rupa

I saw a show earlier this week or last where the family had 14 kids and one
              on the way. The one thing that amazed me was how well the kids all got
              along. Obviously some things were run differently due to tthe number of
              people. All girls had white socks all boys had brown. All the kids dressed
              alike, slacks and shirts and girls in skirts and tops. I can see why that
              stuff would be necessary and make life easier. They did 'assign' a child to
              each new arrival as a buddy. THe youngest kid got the new kid after it was
              weaned. That childwould help the younger one with homework, bathing,
              dressing etc. They all seemed excited about each new arrival and their turn
              to be a buddy. I know my four girls (3 now) fight like cats and dogs. They
              either used their make up, wore their shirt and their bigger boobs stretched
              it out (or pants and big butts), they left a mess in the room (my kids all
              share a room) etc. I would think more fighting would come along with more
              kids but it doesnst seem to. (of course one of my kids is OCD and that
              alone causes a dozen fights a day..LOL). I dont know any very large
              families (ok one iwth 10 kids but they suck) so I just go by what I see on
              tv or hear and it really seems to work out. I am still stumped as to how
              they make time for each child but maybe because I know its hard for us to
              ensure each girl gets 'thier' mommy time and 'their' daddy time and then
              'their' both parents time. In between that you have to give each one 'their
              own time' alone (hard with one bedroom between them) and their times for
              activities. I remember basketball season. Two players and one cheerleader.
              NO practices or games at the saem time. Not even two that were
              consecutive....not even once! I give credit to parents with a lot of
              kids...I dont see how they manage and it just amazes me when I see how much
              better they do than I do.
              --
              BaD *** Me

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                BaD *** Me <[email protected]> wrote:
                inter-racial adoptions or anything like that. I only know a couple ofpeople who have done this. One aquantance and one friend. My friend is anexcellant mommy and her boys are lucky. I am just curious as to thedifferences that the parents and the child face that a same race familyobviously wouldnt. Is this really fair to the child?

My little girl is from China. When school friends see us with her, they
                look astonished and ask: "Are you adopted?" Her response is succinct.
                To wit: Well, duh!

As to what is fair for the child, in a perfect world every child would be
                brought up in his or her family of origin and everyone who wanted a child
                would be able to have one. Newsflash! This ain't a perfect world. And,
                being brought up by two parents who are absolutely crazy about you is
                preferable to life in a third world orphanage.

As for stupid people making comments--well it comes with the territory
                when you adopt internationally. My favorite: "Do you have any children
                of your own?" My response is yes, and she's standing right here.

And I know LOADS of people who have adopted inter-racially. Hey, even
                John Kerry's sister adopted from China.

Take a look at this website www.fwcc.org, and you'll see just how common
                the proceedure is.

Linda

Comment

From: "BaD *** Me" [email protected]Date: 12/1/2004 1:11 PM Mountain Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>
                  I saw a show earlier this week or last where the family had 14 kids and oneon the way.
                  ****. If they are biokids, somebody should tell them it's a vagina, not a
                  clown car.

-----Unknown

Comment

| >Subject: Re: Growing number of white parents adopt black babies
                    | >From: "BaD *** Me" [email protected]
                    | >Date: 12/1/2004 1:11 PM Mountain Standard Time
                    | >Message-id: <[email protected]>
                    |
                    | >
                    | >I saw a show earlier this week or last where the family had 14 kids and
                    one
                    | >on the way.
                    |
                    | ****. If they are biokids, somebody should tell them it's a vagina, not a
                    | clown car.
                    |
                    |
                    | -------------------------
                    | A good friend will come and bail you out of jail . . . but, a true friend
                    will
                    | be sitting next to you saying, "**** . . . that was fun!"
                    | -----Unknown

HA HA HA... Thats a good one.
                    --
                    BaD *** Me

Comment

"Linda Fortney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                      | In article <[email protected]>,
                      | BaD *** Me <[email protected]> wrote:
                      |
                      | >inter-racial adoptions or anything like that. I only know a couple of
                      | >people who have done this. One aquantance and one friend. My friend is
                      an
                      | >excellant mommy and her boys are lucky. I am just curious as to the
                      | >differences that the parents and the child face that a same race family
                      | >obviously wouldnt. Is this really fair to the child?
                      |
                      |
                      | My little girl is from China. When school friends see us with her, they
                      | look astonished and ask: "Are you adopted?" Her response is succinct.
                      | To wit: Well, duh!
                      |
                      | As to what is fair for the child, in a perfect world every child would be
                      | brought up in his or her family of origin and everyone who wanted a child
                      | would be able to have one. Newsflash! This ain't a perfect world. And,
                      | being brought up by two parents who are absolutely crazy about you is
                      | preferable to life in a third world orphanage.
                      |
                      | As for stupid people making comments--well it comes with the territory
                      | when you adopt internationally. My favorite: "Do you have any children
                      | of your own?" My response is yes, and she's standing right here.
                      |

I think my favorite idiot comment has got to be "Well, we have a real
                      family, all the kids are ours"
                      --
                      BaD *** Me

| And I know LOADS of people who have adopted inter-racially. Hey, even
                      | John Kerry's sister adopted from China.
                      |
                      | Take a look at this website www.fwcc.org, and you'll see just how common
                      | the proceedure is.
                      |
                      |
                      |
                      | Linda

Comment

Your child does not need to be reminded that they are adopted. They
                        are adopted. They already know they are adopted.

Comment

From: [email protected] (godgivenchild)Date: 12/1/2004 5:46 PM Mountain Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>Y our child does not need to be reminded that they are adopted. Theyare adopted. They already know they are adopted.
                          Oh dear.

-----Unknown

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                            Palms2pines <[email protected]> wrote:
                            Anyone care to add to the list?P2P
                            Now this IS a challenge

Is that your granddaughter?

I bet she's smart in math. (Actually it's her worst subject, hee, hee,
                            hee.)

Who are her real parents?

Why didn't her real parents want her?

I'll add more blatant stoopidities later.

Linda

Comment

[email protected]8spam (Palms2pines) wrote in message
                              Linda, I would guess the top dozen or so stoopid adoption comments come with the territory for all adoptive parents. Here are the ones at the top of my list: 1. I think it's wonderful when people who cannot have children of their own adopt. Anyone care to add to the list?
                              Oh yes. How about,
                              You can have your own children but you adopted? That I can't understand.

Rupa

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X