Wasn't sure what to do....please help me Texas Texas Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't sure what to do....please help me Texas Texas Texas

Okay so yesterday i made my decision to move out of my parents house. IM 17 and will be 18 in 3 months. Things at my house are not good at all and it kills me everytime i walk through the front door. Last night my parents went to a party so i packed all my clothes and belongings and left with my fiance to his moms house where i was going to stay. I left a note explaining why i had left and where i was. Later that night when they returned home from the party i got a call from my father. He was telling me that if i didnt come home he would show up at my fiance's mom's house with the cops and i would be force to come home one way or another. He told me there was no way i would win the battle. Although i was lituarlly scared to return home I knew i had to for the sake of my fiance's mother and sister. They shouldn't have to deal my problems and i didnt want the cops involved. I'm still planning on leaving i just want to make sure i do it right this time. I want to have all my facts striaght. Iv done research but it all very confusing to me. I need help..

When you turn 18, you can live where you want. Until then, you live where your parents say.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by jacqui11 View Post
      Okay so yesterday i made my decision to move out of my parents house. IM 17 and will be 18 in 3 months. Things at my house are not good at all and it kills me everytime i walk through the front door. Last night my parents went to a party so i packed all my clothes and belongings and left with my fiance to his moms house where i was going to stay. I left a note explaining why i had left and where i was. Later that night when they returned home from the party i got a call from my father. He was telling me that if i didnt come home he would show up at my fiance's mom's house with the cops and i would be force to come home one way or another. He told me there was no way i would win the battle. Although i was lituarlly scared to return home I knew i had to for the sake of my fiance's mother and sister. They shouldn't have to deal my problems and i didnt want the cops involved. I'm still planning on leaving i just want to make sure i do it right this time. I want to have all my facts striaght. Iv done research but it all very confusing to me. I need help..
      The thing to do is to talk to your parents. Have a long, honest talk. Listen to what they have to say. Perhaps use a pad and paper to list their points, as well as yours.

I doubt if they will let you move out, but you just might learn why they are so concerned about you. They might learn something also.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
        The thing to do is to talk to your parents. Have a long, honest talk. Listen to what they have to say. Perhaps use a pad and paper to list their points, as well as yours.

I doubt if they will let you move out, but you just might learn why they are so concerned about you. They might learn something also.
        Its just i tried that last night when i got home. They dont listen though. The rule in our house is that they are right and im wrong. period. And that goes with everything.

Comment

Can you wait the 3 mos. until you turn 18?
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

That is why the list. So you can understand, and show them you are serious about understanding.

Comment

The absolute worst case scenario is that you have to wait till your 18th birthday. If they allow you to go earlier, great, but they can't stop you once you are 18. Three months is not really that long to wait, but as long as you are a minor your parents have the final say as to where you live.

I'm sure you have heard, since it's all over the internet, that when you are 17 you can move out and there's nothing your parents can do about it. That's not quite true. In some states, and I grant you that yours is one of them, the police are reluctant to force a 17 year old home if they know that they are safe. However, reluctant and unable are not the same thing. Even if the police won't return you to your parents (and if your parents make enough fuss, they can and will) there is nothing stopping your parents from showing up wherever you are staying and forcing you back home themselves, with or without the cops. And if they are harboring you against your parents' wishes and they know it, it's not impossible that the people you stay with could be charged. As in, courts and jail.

So while I'm not suggesting that you not make the effort to discuss it with them, you really need to start accepting the idea that you might have to wait it out till your birthday.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X