X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and want to move to another state without permission

Hi, Im 17 years old.
    I want to move from Texas to a different state in december or january ( I will still be 17) and I know my mother is not going to allow this but if I leave anyway can she make me come back home? Im 17, I have a high school diploma I am in college right now. And I've had a job since I was fifteen. Can she seriously still make me come back what are the laws because I keep getting mixed feedback and I need an answer now. Please help.

Until your 18th birthday and not one minute before, you live where your mother says you live. The law does NOT say you are a legal adult when you graduate from high school. It does NOT say that as long as you are in college you can live wherever you want. It does NOT say that as long as you have a job you are on your own.

The law says that until you are 18, you are still a minor, are still legally a child, and are under the care and control of your parents. On your 18th birthday, you can legally make your own decision where you live and what you do. Until that day, your parents have the final say.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Having grown up in Texas, I can tell you that no cop in the state is going to enforce that and make you go home if you are 17. Especially if you are 17 w/ a high school diploma and a job. They are also not going to go to another state to bring you home.

How long before you turn 18?

Comment

But ther'es nothing stopping the parents themselves from dragging the kid home, or sending an agent other than the cops to do it.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

We have heard this before and where it may be true a few calls to elected officials will get Police to act
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Agree, don't be too sure you won't end up back home.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Off topic, but congratulations for enrolling in college before turning 18. Hang in there, and good luck.
              I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Moving out at 17

I don't know all of the detail of your situation, but I know that in my case I was able to leave my mothers house at 17. The cops were called and came to our house and told my mother that she had to let me go. Just be aware that it will be very difficult to rent an apartment or proceed in any other legal matter until you turn 18.

I hope everything works out for you.

Comment

This post was from two years ago. The poster is already past 18 by now.

Comment

I think, considering the age of the post, the poster returning is unlikely.
                    I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                    Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                    I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                    Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X