Emancipation Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation Montana

I will be 16 in one week. I am the mother of a 2 month-old son. My custodial mother gave me permission to travel to MOntana (from Indiana), with my son and his father. All three of us are now staying with my future mother-in-law. I do not want to return to Indiana. My mother insists that she has custody of me so I have to return to her home. Does being a mother emancipate me? Don't I have any rights to decide where my son and I will live? Here in Montana, I have opportunities for education and work that I will not have in Indiana. Can my mother force me to return to Indiana?

Originally posted by cat13
    I will be 16 in one week. I am the mother of a 2 month-old son. My custodial mother gave me permission to travel to MOntana (from Indiana), with my son and his father. All three of us are now staying with my future mother-in-law. I do not want to return to Indiana. My mother insists that she has custody of me so I have to return to her home. Does being a mother emancipate me? Don't I have any rights to decide where my son and I will live? Here in Montana, I have opportunities for education and work that I will not have in Indiana. Can my mother force me to return to Indiana?
    Yes, she most certainly can demand that you return home. Pregnancy and child birth do not render a minor legally emancipated. You are MEDICALLY emancipated, which means that you make the decisions concerning your and your child's healthcare. Your only option is to return home and when you are 18, you are free to live wherever you want.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

Originally posted by mommyof4
      Yes, she most certainly can demand that you return home. Pregnancy and child birth do not render a minor legally emancipated. You are MEDICALLY emancipated, which means that you make the decisions concerning your and your child's healthcare. Your only option is to return home and when you are 18, you are free to live wherever you want.
      I hope you are wrong. My mother and step-father use meth in our house. I've told my mother I won't return home until she quits. We are safe here.

Comment

Originally posted by cat13
        I hope you are wrong. My mother and step-father use meth in our house. I've told my mother I won't return home until she quits. We are safe here.
        I'm not wrong.

If there is drug abuse in the home, then by all means report it. But I can promise you that no judge is going to let a 15/16 year old girl move to another state to live with her boyfriend, even if it is decided that you must be removed from your home. Oh yeah, and btw, how old is your boyfriend? The age of consent in Indiana and Montana is 16. Seeing as how you had a baby before you ever reached the age of consent, your boyfriend *might* be at risk for criminal charges.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X