Age to move out and get married in Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age to move out and get married in Missouri

My girlfriend and I, she is 15 while I just turned 18, need to know the age in Missouri that she can legally move out and the age that she can get married. Also let's say she can move out at 17, if she does, will she be able to move in with me? Can her parents do anything about it because she wil still be "underage"?

Originally posted by pathetic_purple_penguin
    My girlfriend and I, she is 15 while I just turned 18, need to know the age in Missouri that she can legally move out and the age that she can get married. Also let's say she can move out at 17, if she does, will she be able to move in with me? Can her parents do anything about it because she wil still be "underage"?
    You should really be more worried with the here and now instead of the future. If her parents do not approve of this relationship, you could very well find yourself in jail long before she reaches 18.

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
      You should really be more worried with the here and now instead of the future. If her parents do not approve of this relationship, you could very well find yourself in jail long before she reaches 18.
      Yes but right now we are doing nothing that is illegal, and I know what I have to worry about in the here and now, but I would like to have an idea of what we can do in the future.

Comment

The answer to both your questions--when can she marry and when can she move out (both without parental consent)--is 18.

The point Ceara is trying to make is that Girlfriend has 3 more years until she reaches the age of majority, and until then Mom and Dad are in charge. If they don't want the two of you dating, then you can't. Frankly, if I had a 15-year-old daughter dating an adult (which I don't have any daughters and if I did, this is not something I would have allowed to begin with) and I became aware that that adult was trying to find a way to marry her or move her in with him...guess what I'd do? I'd put an end to the relationship. I'm sure you don't want that to happen, so be very careful. Don't piss Mom and Dad off.

Comment

Wait....

With out at least 1 parent giving you consent then you cant marry til she's 18 and the only way she could is if she got an emancipation and for that to happen you have to have a pretty good reason so if her parents approve now just try to make sure u dont make them mad cause im pretty sure they would flip on this 1 but anyways if they do get mad and dont allow you guys 2 see each other its either wait the 3 years or her getting an emancipation so good luck im sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Carla61590
            With out at least 1 parent giving you consent then you cant marry til she's 18 and the only way she could is if she got an emancipation and for that to happen you have to have a pretty good reason so if her parents approve now just try to make sure u dont make them mad cause im pretty sure they would flip on this 1 but anyways if they do get mad and dont allow you guys 2 see each other its either wait the 3 years or her getting an emancipation so good luck im sure.

The only parent that can consent to a minor getting married is the CUSTODIAL parent. If they are still married, in most states BOTH parents must consent. Same goes for parents with JOINT custody. If a NON-CUSTODIAL parent consents, the custodial parent can get the marriage annuled and the non-custodial parent will be in hot water with the family court.

Comment

Emancipation

You two can not get married til your 18 unless both parents of the girl sign the papers so you can so heres my advice if her parents approve of the two of you being together dont make them mad cause they will most likely try to cause a problem then and if she wants to move out she either has to be emancipated or she has to have permission from her parents so if she really wants to leave w/out her parents consent she needs to get emancipated if she does have parents consent then its fine other wise wait til shes 18 I dont lnow but if shes mature enough and has a good reason to leave then Im sure the courts will grant and if her parents allow her thats not a bad thing either acutally great when you think about it just means that her parents raised her well enough to be able to take care of herself which should make the parents feel good I know I did even though it was hard watching them leave I was very proud anyways thats what I think.

Comment

Wrong

The age of when she can legally move out is 17 to get married without parental consent is 18. She can have sex with you until you are 21. I had to deal with this with my ex. He's 20 and she just turned 16. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by youngmommo
                  The age of when she can legally move out is 17 to get married without parental consent is 18. She can have sex with you until you are 21. I had to deal with this with my ex. He's 20 and she just turned 16. Hope that helps.
                  No, the age a minor can legally move out is when they become and ADULT, which is a MINIMUM of 18. In some states, it is even older.

Comment

Originally posted by ceara
                    No, the age a minor can legally move out is when they become and ADULT, which is a MINIMUM of 18. In some states, it is even older.
                    In Missouri, although it is not legal for a 17-year-old to move out, they won't be picked up and returned home because of a loophole in their laws.

Comment

Correct

Originally posted by confused232
                      In Missouri, although it is not legal for a 17-year-old to move out, they won't be picked up and returned home because of a loophole in their laws.
                      Me & my brother BOTH moved out b4 either of us was 18. I moved out at 16 and he moved out at 17. The cops told my mother that there wasn't anything that could be done because he was 17 and they just didn't care that I moved out at all. The age is 17.

Comment

Well I can say at the age of 17 in Missouri you are not legal age to be married,but you can leave home...If you can support yourself and live in a safe home! However with a legal parent/guardian signature you can marry!
                        Even though she will be underage at 17 they can not force her legally to stay home...
                        I am a parent and I can tell you Missouri Law is "VERY" confusing!!! AND UN JUST!!!

example: You can go to prison for a crime at 16/17 yrs. of age
                        You can quit school at 16 yrs. of age/Ruin your future/life
                        You can drive at 16 yrs.of age...but your on your parents
                        insurance until your 18 / or move out of their home
                        And your parents are responsible for every Hospital bill Truancy from school and legal fine/mistake you make!!!!
                        Oh and You can't Vote until your 18 yrs. of age
                        BUT HERE'S THE REAL SHOCKER:

You can work at 16 yrs. of age pay taxes...but u can't vote till 18
                        You can fight and die for your Country at 18 yrs. of age
                        But you can't have a beer with your platoon in the Army until your
                        21 yrs. of age
                        BUT YOU CAN PAY YOUR OWN BILLS...HOUSING,ELECTRIC,WATER,TRASH,HEAT,FOOD,TEL EPHONE,INTERNET....OH AND IF YOU WANNA GROW UP REAL FAST DIAPERS ...AND FORMULA
                        YEAH...Growing up being on your own is no fun kid...Stay young while you can...EDUCATION...Is where it is all at...TRUST ME!!!
                        SO IF I WERE YOU I WOULDN'T WANT TO GROW UP TO FAST!!!

Comment

Please watch the dates prior to posting, this one is from 2006.

Comment

Agreed. This thread is from 3 years ago - the 15 year old is 18 by now.
                            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X