Emancipation laws in Missouri?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation laws in Missouri?

I just turned 16 earlier this month. I'm living with my Dad (Who is not related to me, through blood or legal terms) and his new wife.
    My biological father died when I was eight, so my mother has been recieving socially security benifits since then. I moved out of her house for the first time when I was 12 or 13, because she was emotionally unstable, and begining to emotionally abuse me. I moved in with my best friend and her mother, who some how became my legal guardian. I have been living with my mother off and on since I moved out of my friend's house a year later. I have lived with my grandparents, I stayed with my boyfriend for a week or two, because his mom didn't like me staying with whoever I could find that night.
    I finally talked to my Dad, and he took me in. I do feel like a burden on him and his new wife, because I don't think they really expected what they got. I have a job, which I work at probably 30-35 hours a week.
    I have been planning to move out into my own apartment for a year at least, and I have over a thousand dollars saved up for it.

I need to be emancipated, or have my mother's name off of my social security account, because she is spending it on herself, and I barely see a penny of it. I have never been to the dentist in my life, I have been to an eye doctor once, and I'm both near sighted and far sighted, but "we don't have enough money to pay for good glasses"
    I do not go to the hospital, I do not have a doctor that I ever see for check-ups. I don't have life-insurance.
    Whether I will still have the rights to my social security money when I am emancipated, I don't want her to have rights to it either.

I mainly just need information of emancipation laws in missouri. I could easily support myself, because I have been helping my granfather support my mother and her boyfriend (who had bladder cancer for a year or so)

Thanks all.
    -Newport Panda-

Questions...

1. Who is your "dad" and what relation does he have to you?

2. Who is your legal guardian? You said your best friend's mother became your legal guardian. In that case, was it joint-custody? Did your mom still have custody?

3. Only a legal guardian can delegate where you live. Who's telling you that you can live with all these people?

4. Why do you move around so much and why are you no longer living with your friend and her mom?

5. Is the social security benefit for you? Child support, and other child support related benefits, are not intended for direct use of the child; rather, they are intended to aid the legal guardian in providing the necessities for their child.

All cases are unique and individual. Once you answer the questions, I might be able to provide some different answers. Judges also see emancipation cases on a individual basis and will only use it as a last resort. Emancipation's most useful purpose, in the eye's of a judge, is if the child needs to have their disabilities of minority removed for the purpose of contract.

Comment

Missouri has no emancipation statute, but you can always go to court and petition to become an emancipated minor. I think that you would have to stay with your father until age 18 though since that sounds like a situation where at least you have a roof over your head while you work and you are not being mistreated. As for the Social Security going to your mother, if your father has custody of you and it is legal and a court paper, your father should petition Social Security to remove your mother as the payee for you and make himself the payee for you since he has custody of you. There are specific Social Securit forms to be completed and at their 800 number or a Social Security office, they can assist your father. Good luck.

Comment

info??

i am 16, and i am sick of being emotionally abused... i work about 25-30 hours a week now, and have school. i also have a boyfriend that i want to spend time with... i come home to tell my parents that i am having a problem with... work, school, them, or anything, and they mimic and mock me. *wah wah* is all they say, and they won't respond. i ask them to please stop wht they are doing to talk to me because i need someone to talk to, and they mimic me. I have a sister who is not a star person and the way that they treat her is stellar. she has gotten into trouble at school, had lower than average grades(which deserves punishment in our house) and has recieved in school suspension for skipping school with her boyfriend. she got punished at school, and got nothing taken away at home. she ran away at nite when no one was home, and they gave into rules that she wanted changed. during an argument with my parents they say *get the **** out* to me... so i walk out... they say that i am running away... in broad daylight, with my sister and her boyfriend calling me. the police are called on me and i get a ride back to my house in a police car and proceed to get yelled at by them and my parents. the next day my parents act like nothing happened... they want to ignore the problem, they just say that i'm grounded... i ask for how long and they say until i say so.... so* my sister runs away at night.. no one following her... and gets rules changed in her favor.... i walk out of my house after told to *get the **** out* by my father.. with two people following me... and i get the police called on me... is tis right or am i way off? please tell me what i can do.. i can't take living here anymore with all the ridicule and everything going on... can i move out at the age of 16 in missouri? are my parents wrong? what can i do besides keep it all bottled up inside... b/c thats not working... please help!! thanks

~Michelle

Comment

No, even in Missouri you cannot move out without parental consent at the age of 16.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Living in FARMTOWN

My name is Janelle and I am 15 yrs old,and I turn 16 in less than a month. My mom is addicted to crack-cocain,and she also smokes marijuana. She decided one day in November to send me to Farmington Missouri to live with my aunt [700 miles ] that means that I am 700 miles away from the HS I originaly attended and 700 miles away from the support of my friends. My question is ... if am able to support myself and can live up to all the regulations of being Emancipated could I win my case? I would apreciate it a lot if someone could respond to my question.

Comment

Originally posted by benzgirl_09 View Post
              My name is Janelle and I am 15 yrs old,and I turn 16 in less than a month. My mom is addicted to crack-cocain,and she also smokes marijuana. She decided one day in November to send me to Farmington Missouri to live with my aunt [700 miles ] that means that I am 700 miles away from the HS I originaly attended and 700 miles away from the support of my friends. My question is ... if am able to support myself and can live up to all the regulations of being Emancipated could I win my case? I would apreciate it a lot if someone could respond to my question.
              Missouri doesn't have any emancipation laws, so it's not an option for you. Is the state child protective services involved in this situation? If they are you can request to possibly be put into foster care in your previous town.

I know it's rough being away from your friends, and I realize that rural living isn't always fun for a teen, but you are with family and are in a good area for schools, so if you have to stay you might find that you like it. Farmington is really a nice place with nice people, so give it a chance for awhile. Do you have any relatives living in your old area? Are they able to take custody? That's another possibilty for you.

Comment

Thanks for replying

Missouri doesnt have emancipation laws... smeone else on the site asked about that and someone responded that there were emancipation laws, Im not saying your wrong about this but if you are do you think theres any chance at all my case would hold up?

Comment

And no the state isnt involved with this

Comment

Originally posted by benzgirl_09 View Post
                    Missouri doesnt have emancipation laws... smeone else on the site asked about that and someone responded that there were emancipation laws, Im not saying your wrong about this but if you are do you think theres any chance at all my case would hold up?
                    emancipation and minor

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutesearch/Default.aspx

Search the above term and look for yourself.
                    “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What does your reply mean?

Comment

It means no, you could not be emancipated even if the poster who told you there is no statute for emancipation in Missouri was wrong. Which she is not.
                        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

can i become emancipated

I'm turning 17. i have a job with enough money to support myself. My car is in my name. Once i'm 17, can i become emancipated, so that i am responsible for my own life? I know i can move out, but can i have a bank account with no co-signer, get a credit card, not have parent sign permission forms, and etc? So that i am legally on my own?
                          If so, what steps dp i have to take?
                          If not, How long do i have to wait or how can it happen fastest?

Comment

Try starting your own thread first.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinHawk View Post
                              Try starting your own thread first.
                              When you start your own thread, you'll need to tell us what state you are in because there are different laws in each state.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X