Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on emancipation

So I'm 16 and my mom is kicking me out.
    I moved out of my dad's about 4 months ago and really don't want to go back bc Ik I will be disciplined for leaving.
    I talked to family and they suggested I become emancipated. I'm sure I could get my mom to say yes but I don't know if my dad would.
    Would it matter what my dad said or not?
    My mom does have full custody of me so I don't know if he would have a say on if I became emancipated.
    I'm from Missouri.

Emancipation is rarely granted in states that allow it. You might seek other options. If Mom has custody you may live anywhere she agrees to
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

The requirements to emancipate are state specific but in general you must turn 18, show evidence of being self supporting, be on active military duty etc....

Actually the problem is a bit of the reverse...a parent has a required duty to care for child ...and is not supposed to just boot them...the parent is on the hook to provide care thru whatever age the state says ..18 to 21 or longer is cild is handicapped. How to enforce it is beyond me...and it's not clear which of your parents are accountable or both may be...but I am aware of states going after parent to provide for children rather than dump kids on state as " homeless" or on the street.

Now mom may be annoyed at your behavior ..buts that not a good legal reason to dump you to,street ..you might be better off to,have some emphatic staffer at a child abuse/protection agency read mom a version of the riot act that it's cheaper to keep you and work it out than it is to visit court on changes of child neglect . To boot you out is very likely neglect/abuse under state law...

Comment

emancipation Missouri -

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx...99/HB0309I.htm
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X