Non-Contested Guardianship of Sons Best Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Contested Guardianship of Sons Best Friend

My sons best friend is coming to live with us in a week. His dad has agreed to appoint me as his guardian but I want to make sure it's really 'that' simple. He said he would have the 'guardianship' paperwork drawn up and thats all it took. The best friend coming to live with us is 16 years old. Can anyone tell me if just filling out a piece of paper is all that has to happen in this instance? I am not related to the teen but he and my son have been best friends since 2nd grade. His dad is the sole custodial parent. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone happens to have a link to the Missouri Form (if that's truly all it is) I'd appreciate it so I can make sure I get the right one from the father. This is Platte County Missouri if that matters...

Thanks

Originally posted by risingwmn View Post
    My sons best friend is coming to live with us in a week. His dad has agreed to appoint me as his guardian but I want to make sure it's really 'that' simple. He said he would have the 'guardianship' paperwork drawn up and thats all it took. The best friend coming to live with us is 16 years old. Can anyone tell me if just filling out a piece of paper is all that has to happen in this instance? I am not related to the teen but he and my son have been best friends since 2nd grade. His dad is the sole custodial parent. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone happens to have a link to the Missouri Form (if that's truly all it is) I'd appreciate it so I can make sure I get the right one from the father. This is Platte County Missouri if that matters...

Thanks

Does Mom agree?

(It matters - a great deal)

If BOTH parents agree - and having sole custody doesn't mean that Mom has no right to object - then it's not difficult to have guardianship done; the forms should be fairly straightforward and then it's a simple matter of having it signed off by the Judge.

IT DOES need to be done via the court - this protects everyone

Comment

Kind of??

Mom abandoned them when he was 2. I'm unclear on if they even know where she is, but I do that the dad has full legal custody of him. When it goes to court, will dad need to be present or will his signature on the document alone work? He's leaving for another state next week and I'm not sure I could get him to come back for this.... If he needs to be, do you know how quickly the courts normally work these cases through? And, could you point me to the correct form on the Missouri website? I've found a few different ones and am unclear on which one needs to be completed. The father was suppose to be getting the form and signing it; however I'm not sure he knows which form either and want to make sure have the 'right' paperwork before he leaves.

Thank you again for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by risingwmn View Post
        Mom abandoned them when he was 2. I'm unclear on if they even know where she is, but I do that the dad has full legal custody of him. When it goes to court, will dad need to be present or will his signature on the document alone work? He's leaving for another state next week and I'm not sure I could get him to come back for this.... If he needs to be, do you know how quickly the courts normally work these cases through? And, could you point me to the correct form on the Missouri website? I've found a few different ones and am unclear on which one needs to be completed. The father was suppose to be getting the form and signing it; however I'm not sure he knows which form either and want to make sure have the 'right' paperwork before he leaves.

Thank you again for the response.

Unless Mom's rights were actually terminated, she'll generally need to be at least notified, and the fact that she's seemingly unfindable complicates things a little.

I can promise you that this won't be completed by the time Dad leaves - it should have been started way before now.

In all honesty you really need to speak with a local attorney - the Missouri Bar Association site is right here

The Missouri statute is right here, and it does state that both parents must be in agreement.

This link may also help you

I hope for your sake there might be an easier option - hence I strongly advise you call the Bar and perhaps have a low-cost phone consult (usually between $25-$50).

Good luck!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X