Can i be emancipated? Missouri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i be emancipated? Missouri

I'm turning 17. i have a job with enough money to support myself. My car is in my name. Once i'm 17, can i become emancipated, so that i am responsible for my own life? I know i can move out, but can i have a bank account with no co-signer, get a credit card, not have parent sign permission forms, and etc? So that i am legally on my own?
    If so, what steps dp i have to take?
    If not, How long do i have to wait or how can it happen fastest?

What is your reason for wanting emancipation?

While you cannot be emancipated if you cannot support yourself, just because you can support yourself doesn't mean the judge is going to approve it if he doesn't like your reason. Emancipation is rare and approved only when it is NEEDED, not just WANTED.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Actually...In the state of Missouri you can leave home at 17...They can not force you to stay home!!!
      But there is a little hic'cup in the Missouri system...You must be either emancipated or enrolled by a legal guardian/parent to attend public school!
      Unless you are emancipated!

Comment

I agree that Missouri law makes it difficult for force a 17 year old home, but it is by no means impossible. And leaving home without permission is NOT the same as legal emancipation.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X