Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boobatuba
    replied
    Here is an interesting link about what's being done in North Carolina since 1996...DHHS is able to create a lien against insurance settlements for an NCP for payment of past-due CS. Interesting reading!

Leave a comment:

• Suzy72
    replied
    Originally posted by ceara
    A child can try to collect unpaid support in almost every state. But, there are many specific requirements that would need to be met first.
    Well yeah, anyone can sue anyone.. but based on recovery there are only a few that I have heard of.

Leave a comment:

• ceara
    replied
    Originally posted by Suzy72
    First know that only a few states (I think Oh and Az are 2) allow adult children to go for back child support. THe rest require the other parent to do so seeing as that is THEIR money and not the child's.

Now, the fact that they were divorced in Indiana plays the largest part more than likely. If the CS order was made there the SOL runs out when the youngest child is 28.
    A child can try to collect unpaid support in almost every state. But, there are many specific requirements that would need to be met first.

Based on what information the OP has given, it is extremely doubtful that she could try to collect. As far as the insurance is concerned, there are a few questions that need to be answered first.

Who is the beneficiary?
    Did he leave a will?
    Is the wife offering you any part of the estate?

Leave a comment:

• Suzy72
    replied
    Originally posted by kenwmc
    I'm 36 years old and have two children. My mom and dad divorced when I was 3 or 4. He never paid child support and was required to pay it. Recently in the past month he died. My question is since I'm probably not in his will or life insurance policies.

Do I have a claim on the back child support?

I'm not sure if the following matters, but mom and dad got divorced in Indiana. My dad lived in Detroit Michigan until 4 years ago in which he moved to Mexico (the country). He died in Az. Funeral in Mich.

My understanding of the life insurance policies. He remaried to another woman for 10 years. Supposable he left 3 other children money. He supposable had another policy in which he left his wife monies. According to his wife, one of the policies was for 350K to be split up via 3 children, herself, and supposable myself. I believe she is just telling me certain things. I'm not sure what to believe. The other children are trying to get his wifes money. The other children received child support because of 2nd wife.

So now comes to me. My mom or I never received child support that was due to us. I never knew until recently that this was the case. I currently live in Missouri. Do I have any options for back child support or any claim to the life insurance policies?

I would like to think that if I did get anything it could go to my childrens college fund. Granted they are just 2 and 4 currently.

What do you think?
    First know that only a few states (I think Oh and Az are 2) allow adult children to go for back child support. THe rest require the other parent to do so seeing as that is THEIR money and not the child's.

Now, the fact that they were divorced in Indiana plays the largest part more than likely. If the CS order was made there the SOL runs out when the youngest child is 28.

Leave a comment:

• kenwmc
    started a topic Child Support Statue of Limitations Missouri

Child Support Statue of Limitations Missouri

I'm 36 years old and have two children. My mom and dad divorced when I was 3 or 4. He never paid child support and was required to pay it. Recently in the past month he died. My question is since I'm probably not in his will or life insurance policies.

Do I have a claim on the back child support?

I'm not sure if the following matters, but mom and dad got divorced in Indiana. My dad lived in Detroit Michigan until 4 years ago in which he moved to Mexico (the country). He died in Az. Funeral in Mich.

My understanding of the life insurance policies. He remaried to another woman for 10 years. Supposable he left 3 other children money. He supposable had another policy in which he left his wife monies. According to his wife, one of the policies was for 350K to be split up via 3 children, herself, and supposable myself. I believe she is just telling me certain things. I'm not sure what to believe. The other children are trying to get his wifes money. The other children received child support because of 2nd wife.

So now comes to me. My mom or I never received child support that was due to us. I never knew until recently that this was the case. I currently live in Missouri. Do I have any options for back child support or any claim to the life insurance policies?

I would like to think that if I did get anything it could go to my childrens college fund. Granted they are just 2 and 4 currently.

What do you think?
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X