Michigan 20yr male, 16yr female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan 20yr male, 16yr female

Hello. I just recently have been looking into age of consent laws and such out of curiousity. Also since there is a 16 year old female im thinking about possibly pursuing. I am a 20 year old male living in Michigan. From websites I have seen, it seems pretty standard that every place says the age of consent in michigan is 16. But im still not quite sure what exactly that means. Does that mean a 16 year old can legally have sex with anyone 16 and up? Or is it just legal for a 16 and 16 year old, a 16 and 17 year old, and then anyone 18 and up with anyone 18 and up?

Everyone I say anything to about this girl immediately tells me about legality issues. I know its fine for us to date as long as her parents allow it, but what about sexual activity? Would that only be allowed once she turns 18, or is it okay now since she is 16 and the age of consent in michigan is 16? I guess im just a bit confused on the law all together.

Thanks for the help.

Hello

Hi I am an 18 yr old female. I married my husband who was 29 and I was 17 last June. We live In California. But my parents gave us permission so we could do anything. Except I was already pregnant at the time. So my mom did not press charges. Just know that if you do get permission from her parents, if something should happen like pregnancy, the mother has every right to call the cops. I just looked up on a site and it siad the age of consent is 16. Which means she will basicly be 18 in other states. So I guess it is legal for you too to have sex. However if i were you I would contact a police department or court house and ask them. Tell them you are asking for your daughter...lol..and want to know if cause she is 16 can she have sex with a man over 18. That should give you your answer. Good Luck!

Comment

If you are a legal adult, and she is under the age of 18, DO NOT HAVE SEX!!!

Contrary to Marigrimes statements, the girl would not have to be pregnant for you to get into legal trouble. ANYONE can call the police (even a stranger on the street, a store manager, etc.) if they see you togtether and suspect something is going on. Parents are not the ones responsible for pressing charges, the DA is.

Marigrimes, you are very lucky (I guess) that nobody bothered to pay attention to what was going on with you. There is no way in HOLY HELL that I would restrain myself from calling the police if I found out that one of my daughters was dating, sleeping with, getting pregnant, and moving in with a MAN that is 13 years older than she is (when she hadn't even managed to graduate from high school, yet), much less allow them to marry. Please stop telling people that it is okay for ADULTS to have romantic relationships with CHILDREN. It's not, you just fell through the cracks. Good luck to you and your baby, you'll need it. BTW, California law does not hold up in 49 states, even though, technically, your husband got away with a CRIME.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

??

Okay well like I said before it is legal In michigan to sleep with a 16 yr old. Yes in cali it is Illegal, but they are not in cali. And just to let you know mommyof4, i did graduate school. I pulled my self out of the high school i was going to and switched to a home schooling program. I graduated in 3 wks there, unlike at my old school that would have taken me a year. I think it was the best thing I could have done. ANd I wasnt pregnant when I moved in with my boyfirend. And my mom already knew we had planned to get married.

Comment

Marigrimes,

I don’t know anything about this particular poster’s question…well, okay, actually I do, but it’s not a question that I want to respond to

However, I do know that you’ve been all over this board giving people inaccurate information and leaving them with all kinds of misconceptions. CA law does not apply in every state. You did fall through the cracks in a big way because your hubby did in fact commit a crime (whether you choose to view it that way or not) and you are very lucky that it wasn’t reported.

I’m not sure exactly what your story is because in many posts you’ve stated that you were emancipated (and if you were based on the fact that you intended to move in with your 29-year-old boyfriend, then I don’t know WHY that judge is on the bench!) but then in another post you stated that you weren’t actually emancipated, that you just did everything you did with parental consent (which most parents would not even consider allowing). But you need to stop giving these minors the impression that they can just go down and file a piece of paper and get emancipated, and it’s as easy as pie. IT ISN’T.

And please stop telling adults that it’s perfectly fine for them to sleep with children (and yes, anyone under the age of 18 is legally a child). Even in the states where they couldn’t be charged with a sex offense, there are still other charges that could apply.

I have NEVER said this to anyone on this board, but you need to learn the laws before you start giving advice.

Comment

Marigrimes, please read your other posts. You contradict yourself in each one. You specifically stated in one that you were NOT emancipated yet, you just moved into your boyfriend's house (who was 29 at the time). You had NOT finished high school. You said you moved into his house, pulled yourself out of school, and enrolled in "home school", thus graduating in 3 weeks. How did you "enroll" in home shcool. What accredidations did this program have? Who taught you? You know what? Never mind. None of your posts support the previous posts, just stop. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about when addressing legalities on this subject. I hope people have enough sense to ignore your posts.

PS: According to your post on THIS thread, you WERE pregnant before you married a 29 year old man at the age of 17.

16 is NOT 18. I know of no state that a 16 year old can enter into any kind of contract. However, in almost all states, an 18 year old can. Hence the term: LEGAL MAJORITY
            Last edited by mommyof4; 03-14-2006, 09:59 AM. Reason: one more thing
            HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
            (unique up on him)
            (same way)

Comment

I guess if this is the case, then I dont totally understand what is the meaning/significant of the legal age of consent? Because in Michigan it is in fact 16 years old. In fact thats what it is in several states. So what exactly does that mean?

Im no where even close to doing anything with this girl. And even if I never do, it would be nice to know the exact meaning of this law for future reference to make sure I never get a huge surprise later down the road.

I mean common belief is telling me that its illegal to do anything sexual with someone under the age of 18. Hence the reason why everyone that I talk to about this girl almost immediately tells me about legality stuff. However, the age of consent law has now thrown me off, since I would have assumed if its illegal to have sex with someone under the age of 18, then the age of consent would be 18 as well.

Comment

as pty stated, while you may not be charged with a sex crime, you could be charged with others, such as corruption of a minor. I advise you to not have sex with her. Wait for her to grow up.
                HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                (unique up on him)
                (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X