Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan - can step-parent discipline children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan - can step-parent discipline children?

My step-daughter's ex-husband is telling their children (especially the son) that her new husband cannot discipline the children - when she is home, she does it but when she is at work its another matter. My grandson is having a really hard time because of this - I think he's trying to push the new husband away because he feels like the male in the house won't stick around (thanks to his bio dad) - that its his way of not getting close and therfore not getting "abandoned" by another dad. Whats the law on this? She needs leverage to back off her ex. He walked out 3 years ago and has been living off and on with another woman, even his mother takes my step-daughters side against her own son.

Originally posted by Noni
    My step-daughter's ex-husband is telling their children (especially the son) that her new husband cannot discipline the children - when she is home, she does it but when she is at work its another matter. My grandson is having a really hard time because of this - I think he's trying to push the new husband away because he feels like the male in the house won't stick around (thanks to his bio dad) - that its his way of not getting close and therfore not getting "abandoned" by another dad. Whats the law on this? She needs leverage to back off her ex. He walked out 3 years ago and has been living off and on with another woman, even his mother takes my step-daughters side against her own son.
    What kind of discipline are you talking about? Physical? Or things like grounding, sending to room, etc?

Comment

MOM really needs to be the one to handle punishing the children. Mom CAN make it very clear to the kids that when she's gone and SD's in charge the SAME rules apply as when she is home and if they break those rules they will be punished when she gets home and if they intentionally try to "push" SD because he can't impose much discipline upon them, the punishment from mom will be even WORSE.

A step parent or anyone other than a parent, should NEVER physically discipline the child. Other forms of discipline (time out, go to your room, no more TV) can be imposed by SD if necessary, but any serious punishment should come from mom. She is going to have to make it clear to the kids that there are rules and they have to follow those rules whether she's there or not.

Comment

Michigan - can step-parent discipline children?

Physical - he does the other but there are times when - for instance the child will not go to their room and he has to physically place them there - or even a spanking. He's a good parent (has children of his own) - not abusive at all (which is more than can be said about the biological dad)

Comment

Originally posted by Noni
          Physical - he does the other but there are times when - for instance the child will not go to their room and he has to physically place them there - or even a spanking. He's a good parent (has children of his own) - not abusive at all (which is more than can be said about the biological dad)
          Even though it not abusive, since dad has already made it clear that the SD is not to discipline the children, SD should be careful to never even touch them at all (even if it is only to pick them up and place them in their room).

Dad sounds like the type that would call CPS to report SD is abusing the children. Even though the case would amount to nothing if SD's not abusing the kids, it's still a huge pain in the ***. Dad can also take mom back to family court over it. It would probably amount to no more then a slap on the wrist the first time, but the judge would probably ORDER mom not to allow SD to punish the kids AT ALL. So the next time SD turns off the TV because the kids are misbehaving, TECHNICALLY, mom would be violating the order.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X