Confused in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused in Michigan

My daughter most recently went to live with her mother and now the mom is trying to take me to court for child support. My daughter is 11 yrs. old and i have had physical custody of her since she was 2 yrs old and now the mother has physical custody as of last week. The mother paid child support to me for not even 1 year and that was just this year. Can she or the courts actualy nail me for this now that she has custody, but yet she didnt pay me a cent for nearly 9 yrs ?

Originally posted by Kalamazoo 101
    My daughter most recently went to live with her mother and now the mom is trying to take me to court for child support. My daughter is 11 yrs. old and i have had physical custody of her since she was 2 yrs old and now the mother has physical custody as of last week. The mother paid child support to me for not even 1 year and that was just this year. Can she or the courts actualy nail me for this now that she has custody, but yet she didnt pay me a cent for nearly 9 yrs ?

Did you ever file contempt on the mom for not paying? If not then you need to do so as well as point that out in the hearing. There are several things that can happen....

1. You pay CS and a portion of that is deducted for mom's arrears
    2. You not pay CS until arrears are paid (not likely to happen this way especially if mom is on any kind of state care)
    or
    3. If you can't prove she didn't pay support and failure to file contempt might work against you and you'll simply be ordered to pay.

Comment

The mother is not on any kind of assistance. She exhausted all benefits that this state allowed and then moved to TN, then to AL and now back in MI. I petitioned the court to modify support many times and only received notice to show up to court twice and she never showed. I also found out that she had been approached by law enforcement and they never once took her to jail, apparently her sob story of having 2 other children under the age of 2 at the time, hit a soft spot for the cops. I do feel obligated to pay something though, because its my child and she wanted to go live with her mom...but if the courts wanna take $100 (example) a week from me , then theres my problem...if i raised my daughter without anything coming from her, besides $70 a month..only for the past 9 months...then i suppose i'll shell out some $ for an attorney because it doesnt take 100 a week to support a child...at least not mine.

Comment

Yup they sure can you will be ordered to pay child support to that mom.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X