Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Where can I review Michigan's adoption law?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Where can I review Michigan's adoption law?

    Where can I review Michigan's adoption law?

    I look forward to hearing from you soon.

  • #2
    Re: Where can I review Michigan's adoption law?

    You can review Michigan’s adoption law, Chapter 710 of the MCL Probate Code of 1939 (Act 288) at the Michigan Legislature web site:".

    I've heard of stories where adult adoptees are reunited with their birth families. Is this common?

    Once the child reaches 18 years of age, s/he can contact the court that finalized the adoption or the agency that handled the adoptive placement to request information about his/her birth family. For further information on this topic, you may wish to visit the Department of Human Services site, Adoption Record Information.

    How old does one need to be to request information from an adoption record?

    In Michigan, the legal age is 18 years old.

    Where do I find a closed adoption record?

    All adoption records have a court record of the adoption and there also may be an agency record. There is no one central location of adoption records. The court record of adoption is usually located in the Family Division of Circuit Court (formerly the probate court) in the county where the adoptive parents lived at the time of the adoption. Once the court is found, the court would be able to provide you with the name of the agency if an agency were involved. The adopted person may also contact the Department of Community Health, Customer Services Section, 3423 North Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., PO Box 30721, Lansing, MI 48909 to request the name of the court that finalized the adoption. In that request, the adopted person must include their complete adoptive name, their date of birth, and their adoptive parents' names, along with a check or money order made payable to the State of Michigan for $26.00. The fee is associated with the release of the amended birth certificate (the one issued in the adoptive name) along with the court information.

    I know the court and/or agency that hold the adoption record. What do I do now?

    Most courts and agencies ask that all requests for information from an adoption record be placed in writing. The agency or court may require a fee for disclosing information from an adoption record. The adoption law indicates that this fee can be no more than $60.00. A request for information should include as much information as possible. The child's complete name (this can be the birth name and/or the adoptive name), the child's date of birth, the name of the parents (the birth parents and/or the adoptive parents), and, if known, the court and/or agency that handled the adoption. The form FIA 1925, "Request by Adult Adoptee for Identifying Information" is available FOR THE ADOPTEE to use.

    I sent in my request for information along with any other requested items and fees required of the court or agency, now what can I expect?

    The adoption law requires the child placing agency or court, upon receiving a written request for information from its records, to respond within 63 days after receiving a request for nonidentifying information and 28 days after the court or agency receives the clearance request form back from the Central Adoption Registry which was forwarded as a result of the court or agency receiving the written request from the adopted person. The adult adopted person would be entitled to receive nonidentifying information and possibly identifying information if certain factors are met. In general, the adoption record would be pulled and if the request is from the adoptee for identifying information,the court or agency would contact the Central Adoption Registry to see if a former parent or an adult former sibling filed a statement giving consent or denial to have their information released. The Registry does not require a fee of the agencies or courts for this check. Once the agency or court receives a response back from the Central Adoption Registry, they can release appropriate information from an adoption record. Requests from the former parents, adult former siblings, and the adoptive parents of a minor do not require the check with the Central Adoption Registry. In these cases, the adoption file would be pulled and, at a minimum, non-identifying information would be shared.

    If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    Best wishes,



    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.