adult-minor dating laws Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adult-minor dating laws Michigan

k so i'm 15 years old and i fell in love with an amazing guy who's 19 years old. i live in michigan and he lives in ohio. and my parents knew about him. they didn't care at first. then my dad freaked out and won't let me talk to him. he blocked his number from my phone and keeps checking to make sure i'm not using the house phone or texting him or anything. we can only keep in contact by the computer as long as my parents don't ban me from it. they say it's illegal to talk to him and my dad threatens to call the cops if he trys to come see me. he thinks he's doing the right thing but i know it's not. they've never met him before and i don't think it's fair that they judge him. i don't know what to do or how to change my dad's mind. but what i do know is i love my boyfriend and he's all i need.

help? don't judge me if you haven't been in my situation. i just need some thoughts on what to do.

Sorry, honey, but right or wrong your dad is in charge. If he says no, it's no, and there is NOTHING in the law that is going to force him to let you see, talk to, telephone, text message, IM, or in any other way communicate with him. The law is on your dad's side in this one.

No judging, no lectures, just the straight facts here.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

i want to be able to prove to him that my boyfriend isn't bad and it's not against the law as long as we don't engage in sexual activities. and try to get him to change his mind. i think he's over-reacting because he normally doesn't act like this. it just really sucks that i will have to wait until i'm 18 to be with him. i want a better way.

Comment

This is between you and your dad. The law is not going to help you. As I said before, there is nothing in the law that is going to force your dad to allow you to see him. Whether it's "illegal" or not is irrelevant. Your dad has complete control over who you are allowed to see and the law is not going to take that right away from him.

If you and your dad can come to an agreement, fine. If not, your ONLY option is to do what dad says until your 18th birthday.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Does anyone read the 100's if not 1000's other posts on this same topic before they create a thread?
          http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

well mine's different. my boyfriend lives in ohio.

Comment

No its really not
              http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

well i don't know if ohio laws are the same.

Comment

The answer I gave you is valid in all 50 states. There is NO state where the law is going to force your father to allow you to date someone he does not want you to date.

And the fact that you are in different states puts a whole different light on the matter. You are under the age of consent; your boyfriend is a legal adult and you are in different states. That means that if you are still in communication and anything even REMOTELY sexual gets said, even if it's only gee-won't-it-be-nice-when-we-can, your boyfriend is running the risk of Federal charges and going to jail. For a very long time.

Again, this is not judgement and it is not a lecture. It is giving you the straight facts.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X