Child Support for College Tuition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support for College Tuition

I am a 17 year old from Michigan. I turn 18 in August and at that point I'm afraid my child support will end. I haven't had a relationship with my father since I was about 6 (he is an alcoholic) and he has paid child support up to this point. I have been accepted into the University of Minnesota which I plan to attend in the Fall of 2008. The only problem is that it is about $22,000 per year and I don't have enough to continue my education without taking out massive student loans as well as getting financial aid. My father currently pays approximately $6,800 each year (about $70 a week for me alone) for both my brother (now 19 years old) and I. Sometimes, especially during the winter months, he does not work and therefore I do not always receive child support. Is there any way that I can get a court order or sue my father to pay part of my college tuition once I graduate?

Originally posted by heatherellej View Post
    I am a 17 year old from Michigan. I turn 18 in August and at that point I'm afraid my child support will end. I haven't had a relationship with my father since I was about 6 (he is an alcoholic) and he has paid child support up to this point. I have been accepted into the University of Minnesota which I plan to attend in the Fall of 2008. The only problem is that it is about $22,000 per year and I don't have enough to continue my education without taking out massive student loans as well as getting financial aid. My father currently pays approximately $6,800 each year (about $70 a week for me alone) for both my brother (now 19 years old) and I. Sometimes, especially during the winter months, he does not work and therefore I do not always receive child support. Is there any way that I can get a court order or sue my father to pay part of my college tuition once I graduate?
    No...He is not liable for your college tuition...You are. How are your grades? If they are good you can get scholarships and grants...Apply for everyone you can...My daughter had a 4.132 GPA and received a lot of money in scholorships...Her tuition is 44k per year and all but 7k was covered ...But the 7k SHE took out a loan for.
    Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.

Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Baystategirl View Post
      No...He is not liable for your college tuition...You are. How are your grades? If they are good you can get scholarships and grants...Apply for everyone you can...My daughter had a 4.132 GPA and received a lot of money in scholorships...Her tuition is 44k per year and all but 7k was covered ...But the 7k SHE took out a loan for.
      I have a little higher than a 3.5 GPA. My curriculum was rigorous and college preparatory, as I took mostly advanced placement or accelerated courses. The majority of my classes were academic. I recieved a 32 on my ACTs, but only a 1900 on my SATs. I have applied for scholarships but have yet to receive any. I can possibly receive financial aid, but it's not enough.

Comment

I have a little higher than a 3.5 GPA. My curriculum was rigorous and college preparatory, as I took mostly advanced placement or accelerated courses. The majority of my classes were academic. I recieved a 32 on my ACTs, but only a 1900 on my SATs. I have applied for scholarships but have yet to receive any. I can possibly receive financial aid, but it's not enough.
        Then you will have to take out loans...just like many other college students. Sallie May is a good source...Consult with your Guidance Counselor and s/he will advise.

I want to make sure you understand the purpose of this forum...It is for legal advice. People that post here are expecting to get a legal answer to their question...And while I think you are trying to be helpful in your posting on other threads, your advice was wrong...Please do not respond to other thread without posting the applicable state statute or case laws.
        Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Bay

Comment

It is law. As I posted in the other thread, check the Michigan Penal code 750.520. If you read the entire thing, you will see that what I had posted was correct. Although I am still a high school student, I have taken multiple honors courses in law, government, and Michigan state law and passed with exceptional grades. I would also like to point out that my post was more helpful than some of the other posts that people have made and therefore, I should not be the one that is scrutinized for what they have to say. I am very aware of what these forums are for, that is why I posted, because I had helpful information that was backed up by legitimate sources detailing the law. As for the post being a year old, I did not realize that. When I arranged the threads by reply dates, that was one at the top of the list along with many recent posts.

Comment

It is law. As I posted in the other thread, check the Michigan Penal code 750.520. If you read the entire thing, you will see that what I had posted was correct. Although I am still a high school student, I have taken multiple honors courses in law, government, and Michigan state law and passed with exceptional grades. I would also like to point out that my post was more helpful than some of the other posts that people have made and therefore, I should not be the one that is scrutinized for what they have to say. I am very aware of what these forums are for, that is why I posted, because I had helpful information that was backed up by legitimate sources detailing the law. As for the post being a year old, I did not realize that. When I arranged the threads by reply dates, that was one at the top of the list along with many recent posts.
            No...Your post was wrong. There is more to consider when a adult is dating a LEGAL child than the AOC.
            Last edited by Baystategirl; 12-13-2007, 06:51 PM.

Bay

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X