X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baystategirl
    replied
    Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
    Heather, that is now twice you have decided to respond to a very old post.

Because you are a kid, I am being nicer than usual about this... but please check the date in the upper left hand corner of the post before responding - especially before responding with "what he said".

Thanks.
    Oh no Jeff...Lil princess will get all mad at your "rudeness"...Last night I asked that she be more careful in looking at the date and she got all huffy...And of course JoeC was there to "back her up"...

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by heatherellej View Post
    He's right. Take responsibility and become completely independent or abide by your parents rules. Though, whichever option you may so choose, be respectful to your parents when doing so and do it with maturity and diplomacy.
    Heather, that is now twice you have decided to respond to a very old post.

Because you are a kid, I am being nicer than usual about this... but please check the date in the upper left hand corner of the post before responding - especially before responding with "what he said".

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• heatherellej
    replied
    Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
    You have two options.

Option one. Live with you parents, eat their food, sleep under their roof, obey their rules.

Option two. Live without your parents. Get a job, pay for your own stuff, obey your own rules. Get no support, financially, from your parents.

Your parents no longer owe you a single thing and can kick you out in the street. You may want to remember that.
    He's right. Take responsibility and become completely independent or abide by your parents rules. Though, whichever option you may so choose, be respectful to your parents when doing so and do it with maturity and diplomacy.

Leave a comment:

• Caged_Dove
    replied
    Originally posted by ChicaChick07 View Post
    i pretty much pay for everything right now but the roof over my head and i am over at my boyfriends most of the time anyway so I don't see why they wont just let me go!
    why dont you just live with your boyfriend then? If you feel like you pay for everything, and you dont want to obey there rules then leave. They cant stop you, but they can deny you from ever being able to come back. 9 times out of 10 there only looking for you best intrest so, they mostlikly will nto turn you away, but i wouldt sugest takin the chance without a fall back
    ChuChi

Leave a comment:

• mom26
    replied
    Remember if you are living in their house it is their RULES!!!!! If you do not like it then move out and get your own place, but remember it is expensive!!

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    My Parents thing that can ground me and I don't think its right so please I just want to know what the laws are
    Maybe if I say it slowly.

You can either live by your parents rules or you can move out and live under your own.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot demand charity and then tell the people that provide it that you don't respect them.

And yes. From the moment you turned 18, anything your parents give you is charity... because they are no longer legally responsible to give you a dime.

Shut up and stay, or move out and do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• MomofBoys
    replied
    My Parents thing that can ground me and I don't think its right so please I just want to know what the laws are
    Your parents are correct. They CAN ground you. There is no law that says differently as long as you are living with them.

Here is the law that does apply to you:

AGE OF MAJORITY ACT OF 1971 (EXCERPT)
    Act 79 of 1971

722.52 Adult of legal age; support payments for person 18 years of age or older.

Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in the state constitution of 1963 and subsection (2), notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a person who is at least 18 years of age on or after January 1, 1972, is an adult of legal age for all purposes whatsoever, and shall have the same duties, liabilities, responsibilities, rights, and legal capacity as persons heretofore acquired at 21 years of age.

You are a legal adult. You can move out.

Leave a comment:

• mommyof4
    replied
    You want the law? Okay, as you are 18 and can legally leave at any time, your parents are now your landlord. You are a tennant. They can charge you rent, utilities, and every thing else they spend to support you. The landlord has the ultimate say on what happens on his property. If you don't like the rules, you are luckier than 99.9% of the population in that you can legally leave without having to worry about breaking a lease.

Grow up kiddo. You have a choice to make. Either you obey their rules or you move out on your own. Is your boyfriend willing to support you? Obviously, since you are not paying housing, you are in no position to support yourself. Yep, that includes rent, utilities, food, clothing, insurance, health care, toiletries, and any other incidentals and necessities that we can pretty much state with certainy you do not pay for. As you state that your sole purpose in life at this point is to spend every moment with the boyfriend, we have to wonder when you have time for a job? Are you really trying to convey to the world that your life and interest revolve around a boyfriend at the age of 18? If so, that is a very sad statement of your life and mentality. Just think what you could accomplish in life. *sigh*

Is this even a serious question?
    Last edited by mommyof4; 02-19-2007, 07:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mikswi
    replied
    What is it that makes you sure, your ready to be on your own and make your own decisions? Because your 18? I know people that are 28 and still cant make it on their own. Why? Choices...........their lack of an education leaves them too broke to move forward in life. The child support for the kid he fathered when he was 22 at a party, takes whats's left of his check.

His theory? He's banking on the estate when his parents die. Some plan huh? NO experiencing life, no waking up to a spouse, sharing life.

My point is, that being "ready" is a state of mind in ADDITION to being financially ready. Want to show your parents that their wrong? Finish school with as high grades as possible. Go to college, even if its community college and learn a field or trade.

I guarantee that if you do this, within 1 1/2 years yur parents will pull you aside and say "You have grown so much. Your responsible, thoughtful and self sufficent. Your mom and I are very proud of you."

Because in the end, at your age, its about their approval. Not getting to do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• milspecgirl
    replied
    lol- oh to be young again.
    You are going to have to make a decision- either move out on your own and be prepared to be cut off from your parents or stay and follow their rules. They can't make you do anything- you are 18, but they have final say over what happens in their house and who they allow to be there. Your stepfather only has as much say as the fact that it is his house- same as your mom.

Leave a comment:

• Baystategirl
    replied
    i pretty much pay for everything right now but the roof over my head and i am over at my boyfriends most of the time anyway so I don't see why they wont just let me go!
    I can tell by your responses that you lack the maturity to be on your own...Leaving now will be a huge mistake!

Leave a comment:

• rcpilot
    replied
    Maybe

It is because they love you, and being older than you they have more knowlage of what happens when, etc. They choose to keep you at home until you graduate, they hope you will go to college and become self sufficient and mature, AND THEN meet the man of your dreams, get married give your all to your husband, have kids, live , love, and try to teach your children, even when they don't agree with you, that Mommy knows best.

Leave a comment:

• ChicaChick07
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rcpilot
    replied
    At 18 you are an adult.

They cannot keep you in the house if you want to leave. They also do not have to let you back in, if you do leave, AND this is likely to cause a seperation between you and the only two people you actually can count on to always love you. I think the only prudent thing for you to do is as your parents ask untill such a time as you can manage on your own. I DO NOT suggest you move in with your boyfriens, since at your age you should be meeting a lot of people and learning the difference between LOVE and infactuation. Get out on your own as soon as you can, learn about the real world, your fantasy one is crumbling.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Okay, here's the thing...

You want all the opportunities of an adult with none of the responsibilities.

You have two options.

Option one. Live with you parents, eat their food, sleep under their roof, obey their rules.

Option two. Live without your parents. Get a job, pay for your own stuff, obey your own rules. Get no support, financially, from your parents.

Your parents no longer owe you a single thing and can kick you out in the street. You may want to remember that.

Leave a comment:

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X