I am 18 and my Parents are giving me a cerfew Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChicaChick07 View Post
    My Parents thing that can ground me and I don't think its right so please I just want to know what the laws are
    Your parents are correct. They CAN ground you. There is no law that says differently as long as you are living with them.

Here is the law that does apply to you:

AGE OF MAJORITY ACT OF 1971 (EXCERPT)
    Act 79 of 1971

722.52 Adult of legal age; support payments for person 18 years of age or older.

Sec. 2.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in the state constitution of 1963 and subsection (2), notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a person who is at least 18 years of age on or after January 1, 1972, is an adult of legal age for all purposes whatsoever, and shall have the same duties, liabilities, responsibilities, rights, and legal capacity as persons heretofore acquired at 21 years of age.

You are a legal adult. You can move out.

Comment

My Parents thing that can ground me and I don't think its right so please I just want to know what the laws are
      Maybe if I say it slowly.

You can either live by your parents rules or you can move out and live under your own.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot demand charity and then tell the people that provide it that you don't respect them.

And yes. From the moment you turned 18, anything your parents give you is charity... because they are no longer legally responsible to give you a dime.

Shut up and stay, or move out and do what you want.
      Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Remember if you are living in their house it is their RULES!!!!! If you do not like it then move out and get your own place, but remember it is expensive!!

Comment

i pretty much pay for everything right now but the roof over my head and i am over at my boyfriends most of the time anyway so I don't see why they wont just let me go!
          why dont you just live with your boyfriend then? If you feel like you pay for everything, and you dont want to obey there rules then leave. They cant stop you, but they can deny you from ever being able to come back. 9 times out of 10 there only looking for you best intrest so, they mostlikly will nto turn you away, but i wouldt sugest takin the chance without a fall back
          ChuChi
          ChuChi

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
            You have two options.

Option one. Live with you parents, eat their food, sleep under their roof, obey their rules.

Option two. Live without your parents. Get a job, pay for your own stuff, obey your own rules. Get no support, financially, from your parents.

Your parents no longer owe you a single thing and can kick you out in the street. You may want to remember that.
            He's right. Take responsibility and become completely independent or abide by your parents rules. Though, whichever option you may so choose, be respectful to your parents when doing so and do it with maturity and diplomacy.

Comment

Originally posted by heatherellej View Post
              He's right. Take responsibility and become completely independent or abide by your parents rules. Though, whichever option you may so choose, be respectful to your parents when doing so and do it with maturity and diplomacy.
              Heather, that is now twice you have decided to respond to a very old post.

Because you are a kid, I am being nicer than usual about this... but please check the date in the upper left hand corner of the post before responding - especially before responding with "what he said".

Thanks.
              Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
                Heather, that is now twice you have decided to respond to a very old post.

Because you are a kid, I am being nicer than usual about this... but please check the date in the upper left hand corner of the post before responding - especially before responding with "what he said".

Thanks.
                Oh no Jeff...Lil princess will get all mad at your "rudeness"...Last night I asked that she be more careful in looking at the date and she got all huffy...And of course JoeC was there to "back her up"...
                Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.

Bay

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X