15 year old dating a 18 year old /Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joec
    Oh granted her ansewer was not perfect,and it did not take into account the influence the father has over the son irregardless of age. You can not assume that a 16 year old girl will always do the wrong thing. A child abuse charge would be a very hard sell,only an overzealous prosecutor would attempt it.
    Not to mention the evidentiary burden required for bringing such a charge before the bench.
    I don't assume the 16 year old girl is doing anything WRONG, but it's probable that she's steaming up the windows in the back seat with the guy, even without sex. I don't think that is WRONG, but it could possibly get him in trouble, despite their good intentions.

Yes, I think child abuse would be a hard sell, and the ADA would find him/herslef prosecuting cases in traffic court for the next several years. But it doesn't take much to get an INDICTMENT. I was just hoping to point out that it's not as easy as "once you are 16 you are good." If the kid's Dad was a cop, it might be inhis best interest to stay away from his girlfriend until she is 18. Perhaps it was as simple as Dad had seen other teenagers get railroaded for their involvment with their high school girlfriends.

M.4 citations where in response to whether the law cited by demartain was Federal or state. M.4 answered with a state law in Florida which has no relevance in Michigan. Nothing posted even comes close to making a federal criminal case.
    She also posted the parallel Michigan statute in that same post. Post number 26.

I never said you jumped her read my post again.
    JoeC
    I know you didn't accuse me of it... I was actually recognizing that it does happen. I didn't do it, but I'm sure I've done it before and will likely do it again. It happens sometimes, whether it is acceptable or not, it just is.

Comment

The various laws that are currently being passed by the states came into affect around December of 2006 some time. I lost my original links to those, but had them last year when they were being passed.

So, this topic changes...

What was correct last year is not necessarily correct this year. Good sense says that if the child is under 18, they may want to wait out the extra years just in case.

For the record however, what do I care if a 16 or 17 year old dates someone? It's when the 13 year olds come on here thinking they are adults or adults wanting to date 13 year olds that I have to draw the line.

Comment

Oh granted her ansewer was not perfect,and it did not take into account the influence the father has over the son irregardless of age. You can not assume that a 16 year old girl will always do the wrong thing. A child abuse charge would be a very hard sell,only an overzealous prosecutor would attempt it.
        Not to mention the evidentiary burden required for bringing such a charge before the bench.

M.4 citations where in response to whether the law cited by demartain was Federal or state. M.4 answered with a state law in Florida which has no relevance in Michigan. Nothing posted even comes close to making a federal criminal case.

I never said you jumped her read my post again.
        JoeC
        I actually answered YOUR question. I then provided the information for the correct state.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

Common sense is not so common when you deal with rules of evidence,and admissibility. To make a criminal charge of anything requires more than a hunch "well you know the girl was 16 boy is 18 so they had to be doing the horizontal bop". That is far from evidence,and its not mentioned in the post.
          A lot of posters took a lot of liberty with that assumption. Cases are not won on assumptions.
          Correct. But I am talking about common sense when dealing with a 16 year old (actually, she was 15 at the time) when they post about themselves and their boyfriends.

I was not telling her what would stick in court. I was telling her that IF she was engaging in sexual contact with her boyfriend, the reply at she is good to go once she is 16 is not correct. Was I assuming that she was. Absolutley. The advice is still valid.

Certaily older people can pass on information that is wise,of course. I dont think the High school senior was advocating the poster to behave in less than lady like manner.
          I think she sounds quite smart for a 17 year old. But she did post several times that she knew what she was talking about, and she was sassy about it. When the truth was, she had something to learn. There is such a thing as too much confidence. She would do well to really learn all the laws, not just some.

Your right "the purpose of the board is information, not for anyone to be putting anyone else into their proverbial "place". Which is what baystate girl was attempting to do . She thought she had an inexperienced kid that could be muscled,the kid turned it around on her. Now I think its fair to say that the high school senior was underestimated. Baystreetgirl should apologize for being out of line. The high school senior should be encouraged to bone up on family law,since it appears she has interest in it as anyone posting on this format does. Just because she is a senior does not imply that she can not research,and cite statute. She could be wrong big deal,I've been wrong before. I've seen lawyers get it wrong here occasionally.
          Thats the way I see it.
          JoeC
          I've seen lots of posters, yourself included, post some rather nasty things to and about others from time to time. I know I've been guilty of it. If I remeber correctly, you actually used the "c" word disguised as the "k" word once.

I guess I don't understand how you can say that bay is wrong on one hand, then call her names (the board loud mouth) on the other. It's fairly hypocritical. What do you care if she is mean to someone? As you pointed out, Heather handled herself just fine.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X