15 year old dating a 18 year old /Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 year old dating a 18 year old /Michigan

okay so my boyfriends is 18 and we have been dating for a little while and i am 15. my mother has no problem with him she loves him but his father doesnt like it. the other day he said that if he didnt break up with me he would file a report. but he arent doing anything like sexually and my mother likes him. can his father do that without proof? i am really confused and need some advice and help

I know of no state which regulates dating.
    “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

well his father is a police man.... can he file a report and investigation if there is no proof?

Comment

Originally posted by reallyconfused15 View Post
        well his father is a police man.... can he file a report and investigation if there is no proof?
        If you two have done anything like kiss, yes. I can understand where his father is coming from. If anyone else reports you two together, his son will be going to jail and his father is just trying to protect him. If you love him or even like him just a little, then you wouldn't want him to be in trouble with the law either. Why risk it, stay away from him until you are at least 16.

Comment

Certainly. It's done every day.
          “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

well i turn 16 in 4 days...... what am i supposed to do then?

Comment

well i turn 16 in 4 days...... what am i supposed to do then?
              About what?

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Once you turn 16, so long as you have parental consent from your mother, you're fine. His father doesn't need to approve because he is 18 and legally an adult, and therefore, not under his father's jurisdiction.

Comment

Originally posted by heatherellej View Post
                  Once you turn 16, so long as you have parental consent from your mother, you're fine. His father doesn't need to approve because he is 18 and legally an adult, and therefore, not under his father's jurisdiction.
                  Heather...You are responding to a thread that is a year old. Plus you are wrong. PLEASE do NOT post to old dead threads....And DO NOT try to advise...People that come here are looking for legal answers...not what some high school kid "thinks".
                  Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated understanding.

Bay

Comment

That was rather rude.
                    According to the listing by latest postings, this was at the top. Sorry, I did not realize that this was a year old. My age has nothing to do with my knowledge. Look up consent laws, what I posted is correct, check the Michigan Penal code 750.520.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4ay...e=mcl-750-520e

Don't instantly assume that others younger than you are ignorant.

Comment

That was rather rude.
                      According to the listing by latest postings, this was at the top. Sorry, I did not realize that this was a year old. My age has nothing to do with my knowledge. Look up consent laws, what I posted is correct, check the Michigan Penal code 750.520.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(4ay...e=mcl-750-520e

Don't instantly assume that others younger than you are ignorant.
                      The OP is 15...Her mother or father can't make the illegal legal. There are other laws that apply when an ADULT is dating a minor. You are wrong. I don't instantly assume ANYTHING. But I do know that at 17 or 18 you do not have the legal knowledge to be advising on this forum...There are legal nuance's to some situations that I would bet a million dollars you don't have a clue about.
                      Please Note: My "warm and fuzzy" font is not working, therefor my posts will be direct and to the point.

Bay

Comment

There are many things that I do not know about. Which would explain why I didn't respond to those threads. I know about this. I am from Michigan and I believe that I would know the laws here better than someone who lives in Massachusetts.

If the guy that she is dating does not fall under those categories, than there are no grounds for legal action to occur. Maybe you didn't read it clearly enough or you misinterpreted information, but that is the law.

This code applies to those over the age of majority in Michigan (18).

It specifically states "(1) A person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree if he or she engages in sexual contact with another person and if any of the following circumstances exist:"

None of the circumstances listed (or the ones in the extended version) would pertain to their relationship. The only one even remotely close would be:

(f) That other person is at least 16 years of age but less than 18 years of age and a student at a public or nonpublic school, and the actor is a teacher, substitute teacher, or administrator of that public or nonpublic school. This subdivision does not apply if the other person is emancipated or if both persons are lawfully married to each other at the time of the alleged violation.

Her boyfriend is 18 and cannot possibly be a staff member at her school unless he works in the lunchroom (which I severely doubt he does).

The age of consent in Michigan is 16. This implies that if you are 16, you must have permission from your parent or guardian, in which case, the OG poster does.

Though I'm not sure if he can get in trouble for what they did before she turned 16 and gained consent from a parent, he cannot get in trouble for what they did after she turned 16, unless her mother changes her mind about said consent.

Where does it say that it is illegal for the two to be together? Keep in mind, this is a Michigan case.

Comment

There are many things that I do not know about. Which would explain why I didn't respond to those threads. I know about this. I am from Michigan and I believe that I would know the laws here better than someone who lives in Massachusetts.

If the guy that she is dating does not fall under those categories, than there are no grounds for legal action to occur. Maybe you didn't read it clearly enough or you misinterpreted information, but that is the law.

This code applies to those over the age of majority in Michigan (18).

It specifically states "(1) A person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree if he or she engages in sexual contact with another person and if any of the following circumstances exist:"

None of the circumstances listed (or the ones in the extended version) would pertain to their relationship. The only one even remotely close would be:

(f) That other person is at least 16 years of age but less than 18 years of age and a student at a public or nonpublic school, and the actor is a teacher, substitute teacher, or administrator of that public or nonpublic school. This subdivision does not apply if the other person is emancipated or if both persons are lawfully married to each other at the time of the alleged violation.

Her boyfriend is 18 and cannot possibly be a staff member at her school unless he works in the lunchroom (which I severely doubt he does).

The age of consent in Michigan is 16. This implies that if you are 16, you must have permission from your parent or guardian, in which case, the OG poster does.

Though I'm not sure if he can get in trouble for what they did before she turned 16 and gained consent from a parent, he cannot get in trouble for what they did after she turned 16, unless her mother changes her mind about said consent.

Where does it say that it is illegal for the two to be together? Keep in mind, this is a Michigan case.

If you are so well informed on MI. Laws why are you posting here regarding your college education? As well informed as you are, you should know that in MI. parents are not legally liable to pay for their child's college tuition...humm...?

I alway respond to any thread with the laws applicable to THAT state. There are other laws , (State and Federal), that may be broken when an adult diddles with a LEGAL CHILD. Mom can NOT give consent for her daughter to boff an adult. Period. Mom can also find herself in legal hot-water for allowing an adult to have ANY SEXUAL CONTACT with her minor child. Period. That is why the OP's boyfriend LAW ENFORCEMENT Father is concerned with this relationship...he understands the possible issues his son will face.

You seem to be a bright girl...At least consider that you may not know everything and even someone from Massachusetts may be more educated on MI. Law than you...okay?

Bay

Comment

Last I checked, there isn't a state in the union that will allow a parent to prostitute out their child or let them consent to otherwise illegal behavior.

Comment

I'm sorry, but two years worth of education doesn't exactly give you knowledge of every single situation that could possibly occur in law.

Maybe you should consider that a 17 year old high school senior knows more than you, someone with post-secondary education.

You sit here and type that there are other rules that could be broken when you are from another state (and it can be assumed from that that you are relatively ignorant of the laws in Michigan) and cannot even provide evidence countering the response that I posted.

Once again, you are assuming that because I am young, I am ignorant and should not be giving legal advice on something that I have legitimate facts about that prove the response that I posted.

Quit arguing with me when you can't provide proof that what I'm saying is false because so far as Michigan law goes, it is correct and there are no federal laws that would be broken by following said Michigan laws. If there were federal laws that could be broken, they would be included in with the Michigan laws or it would be considered entrapment.

Maybe where you're from, a mother can't give consent, but here in Michigan, it is REQUIRED that someone between the ages of 16 and 18 have parental consent in order to have sexual relations with an adult. Although there are age difference restrictions, these two would be less than three years apart and thusly, those age difference restrictions are null and void.

Back down now and maybe you can retain some shred of dignity.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X