Im desperate & afraid. Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im desperate & afraid. Michigan

I am in desperate need of information. Im 16 & planning to leave my home when Im 17. I want to stay in school. To my understanding, I can runaway but the police cant force me to come home. However they can locate me and report that to my parents.

Im not sure I can make it if I have to stay here untill I turn 18.
    But I dont want to give up everything Ive worked for in school.

My mother is emotionally abuse, but Itd be nearly impossible to proove.
    She is a minister and a counselor.

Ive tried to kill myself in the past few months, and Im fighting against that.
    Im kissing *** and trying to get along at home peacefully.
    Myfriends encourage me to "**** it" & give my parents hell. But if I were to do that, They would take away my after school activities like National Honor Society & Keys Club & Japanese CLub & National Art Honor Soceity.
    They would withdraw me from my school to isolate me. My friend told me since I am 16 I can drop out & register back into my highschool tho.

I have a job. Im saving everything I earn in the bank so I can clear it out when I leave. Theyd take that away too.

I dont want to pursue a legal battle with my parents since im 16, it wouldnt be work it. In one year I can leave anyway. Itd be a waste and would probably make it worse. Netime Ive tried to get help, It gets worse bc you can barely proove emotional abuse.

I posted something earlier but I had no reply.
    Will soemone please help me? Im afraid to post this much info in case my parents found it somehow.
    Please someone respond soon.

Originally posted by forsaknsinsbleed View Post
    I am in desperate need of information. Im 16 & planning to leave my home when Im 17. I want to stay in school. To my understanding, I can runaway but the police cant force me to come home. However they can locate me and report that to my parents.

Im not sure I can make it if I have to stay here untill I turn 18.
    But I dont want to give up everything Ive worked for in school.

My mother is emotionally abuse, but Itd be nearly impossible to proove.
    She is a minister and a counselor.

Ive tried to kill myself in the past few months, and Im fighting against that.
    Im kissing *** and trying to get along at home peacefully.
    Myfriends encourage me to "**** it" & give my parents hell. But if I were to do that, They would take away my after school activities like National Honor Society & Keys Club & Japanese CLub & National Art Honor Soceity.
    They would withdraw me from my school to isolate me. My friend told me since I am 16 I can drop out & register back into my highschool tho.

I have a job. Im saving everything I earn in the bank so I can clear it out when I leave. Theyd take that away too.

I dont want to pursue a legal battle with my parents since im 16, it wouldnt be work it. In one year I can leave anyway. Itd be a waste and would probably make it worse. Netime Ive tried to get help, It gets worse bc you can barely proove emotional abuse.

I posted something earlier but I had no reply.
    Will soemone please help me? Im afraid to post this much info in case my parents found it somehow.
    Please someone respond soon.
    Until you are 18, your parents are responsible for you and liable for anything you do. You most certainly can be returned home if that is what your parents wish.

While some states and police departments may seem relaxed about this and not follow up, the parent could and SHOULD press charges since it is their liability should the minor get into trouble.

Comment

And, according to your other posts, the biggest issue is over who you associate with (most notably an individual that you used to do drugs with). I can't say that I necessarily blame them for the control they are exerting.

I also have to tell you that if your friends were truly "friends", they would NOT be encouraging you to do something that has the potential to cause you serious legal problems and destroying any future relationship with your parents. The information your friends have given you is flat out wrong.
      Last edited by mommyof4; 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM.
      HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
      How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
      (unique up on him)
      How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
      (same way)

Comment

You really should stop listening to those friends. They sound like the ones that are going to try to convince you that frozen steel tastes like chocolate.

Anyway, if you runaway, you will be returned. Especially if your parents are already dealing with your drugged out former lifestyle.

Your drug issues also give you no chance at emancipation.

Your inability to stay away from former drug buddies gives you no chance at emancipation.

Basically, I would consider kissing touchas until 18.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

I have no record of drug abuse. There was and is no physical evidence.
          I was charged with nothing. I have a perfect record.

None of my friends are druggies either. None of them have any record either.

I wasnt looking for you to judge my character or the characters of my friends.
          I was looking for help. I was looking for options. And this is not the right place.
          I dont need someone else to disreguard me.
          Last edited by forsaknsinsbleed; 11-17-2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Use this as the legal forum its intended for.

Present your knowledge of my legal options and responsibilities, Or direct me somewhere I can get information.

NOT insult my character.

Comment

There was a livejournal that said I smoked pot twice and tried ecstacy.

I appreciate that you completely ignored abuse. My dad was just arrested for domestic violence AGAIN. Do you think that Its isolated only to my mother? Or did I manage to not get hit by hiding in my bedroom and calling the police.
              And what do you think happens when a woman is beaten by her parents. Then her husband. How do you think she handles disobidience.
              I manage not to get hit by giving up everything.

My friends arent druggies either. I reffered to ONE friend. Who TRIED drugs with me. Who does NOT do drugs. All of my friends are planning college, theyre just sick of seeing me depressed. Theyre sick of seeing my cheek bones poking out bc I starve myself because Im so desperate for any control in my life.

I was looking for help. I was looking for options. And this is not the right place.

If you are suffering abuse, then call the police. Call child protective services or speak to someone at your school about it. You come on here and claim that you are going to run away and what the legalities are of that. It isn't legal and this isn't the place if you need emotional support. That's what support groups are for.

Comment

I dont want emotional support.
                I have support from my friends.

Im looking for legal information on emancipation and runaway laws in Michigan.

Comment

And that response says everything about your intentions. I have a great family, great friends, everything else and I still need emotional support. If an old geek like me can admit it, a teenager should be able to.

Comment

Keep in mind that if you run away, you will have further limited your options by giving yourself a record. Being listed as a runaway or dropping out of HS would not, even after you re-enroll, look good on a college or scholarship application. All of the hard work you have put forward will be for naught. Please realize that as well intending as your friends may or may not be, as adults we do have the benefit of life experience to give you. Life experience is not something that can be gleamed from books or gotten from persons of your approximate age. I am not knocking you or your friends by saying this, only stating the obvious.

As far as your threats of suicide, they ARE self-serving and self-centered and show the immaturity of your emotional self. What else would suicide prove? Honestly? That your world revolves around you. I've seen the after effects of suicide too many times not to have this opinion. If it is successful, it is the end of all possibility and a lifetime of guilt and unanswered questions not only for your mother, but everyone else who loves you, including your friends. If it is not successful, you will be labeled mentally ill and you may end up being a near or total vegetable. If you are not successful and you do recover the stigma will follow you the rest of your life. Is that what you truly want? The people that I have treated that have been rescued / resuscitated, wake up and, for the most part, are grateful to be alive. Death is not a game.

You ask that we not disregard you. I ask that you do not treat life with such disregard when so many in this world struggle to sustain it.

If you truly want an eye opening view of how precious life actually is, volunteer at a children's hospital and look into the eyes of a child who is struggling for every breath, who's body does not have the ability that you and I enjoy. Tell me then that any life, especially one with as much promise as you have, is not worth it.

Your best options would be to contact CPS about the domestic violence and emotional abuse you say that you are suffering. Sit down with either your principal or guidance counselor, or speak to your family doctor (the last three being mandated reporters) and explain what is going on at home. If what you say is founded, someone will listen. Someone will help you.

PS. If you do run away, you may or may not get into trouble, however, the persons harboring you will. Keep that in mind.
                    Don't listen to a word I say because ya know I've gotta be crazy to be a Brown's fan.

Comment

None of my friends are druggies either. None of them have any record either.

I wasn't judging you ... though nice demonstration of maturity there.

Even if you weren't convicted, when you go in front of the judge for emancipation, your parents will say something very much like the above.

Oh wait, you haven't yet considered that your parents will be there, huh?

And the moment the P's talk, you will be denied emancipation because of your former lifestyle and present friends.

You have a nice day now.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Which you received.

And you have a support network of 16 year olds that give you completely wrong information. Let's review -

You cannot choose which school you go to or even drop out without parental consent.

You cannot run away without being returned.

You cannot hang out with whomever you want.

You cannot do whatever you want.

Let's just say that I would consider suspect ANYTHING your friends tell you about the law... because they don't seem to be doing so well in the accuracy department.

If they start talking to you about sex, run!

If you believe you are being abused, talk to a school counselor. However, I will warn you that all teenagers fight with their parents... it is so common it is almost a rite of passage. And you have had an interesting childhood... you are doing drugs, harming yourself and insisting on hanging out with people your parents told you not to... yeah, I would be yelling at you too.
                        Last edited by cyjeff; 11-18-2006, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Pay attenion now. Im not posting nemore afterthis.

Im adressing CYJeff. Every other response was helpful because you presented legal knowledge relevant to the situation.

You DID judge me. To quote, "You really should stop listening to those friends. They sound like the ones that are going to try to convince you that frozen steel tastes like chocolate.

Anyway, if you runaway, you will be returned. Especially if your parents are already dealing with your drugged out former lifestyle.

Your drug issues also give you no chance at emancipation.

Your inability to stay away from former drug buddies gives you no chance at emancipation.

Basically, I would consider kissing touchas until 18."

As for "being mature", you have been no more mature then a 16 year old. You payed little attention to what was ACTUALLY said. You made assumptions. You antogonized me by insulting my character & my friends. I was emotional, which was unnessasary. But I handled myself more maturly then you. I won't bother to respond to the numerous assumptions because they are nothing more then ASSUMPTIONS.

To quote your immature & unnessasary sarcasm, "YOU HAVE A NICE DAY NOW"
                          Last edited by forsaknsinsbleed; 11-19-2006, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Everything I said had a legal component. Everything.

When a judge looks at a petition for emancipation, prediliction for drug use - including your friend's drug use - will be considered.

You, yourself, said that your parents don't like your friends because you used to do drugs with them. That will shoot up a huge red flag to a judge that says, "this kid is going to keep hanging around with the wrong crowd until she is before me on a much more serious charge. This child needs MORE supervision, not less".

All legal and non judgemental opinions... until you started getting hostile because you didn't think it mattered if you weren't arrested for it.

To be emancipated (which you DID ask about) your parents will be interviewed and asked to give their consent. If your parents refuse consent, which you hinted they would, the judge will ask them why.

For some reason, you believe that since you weren't convicted of a crime that your behavior doesn't count. Wrong.

Last but not least... if you can't handle someone telling you the facts of life without losing it... you better reconsider whose fault those arguments with your parents are.

Comment

And, for clarity's sake, here is the quote from your other post...

To be more detailed, they believe an individual is a bad influence bc in the past, I may have engaged in drug use with them. However, that is not the case at present. In school, they have multiple individuals monitoring whom I speak to, specifically if I speak with the individual. If so, they questions me and have repeatedly threatened to remove me from my highschool if I continue to speak with them.
                              This will come up in your application for emancipation, and you will lose. To me, it sounds like you put a great deal of weight on the opinions and facts of your friends, even though they have, repeatedly, been shown to be misinformed and, bluntly, wrong.

When we prove your friends to be wrong, you say we are being immature and hostile. Anything but... we have all had friends at 16 like these. The difference is that you are playing adult games here with the wrong information.

Don't believe us... listen to your friends. Good luck.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X