Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEED HELP! involved in absurd grandparent visitation suit; how do I change venue? Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP! involved in absurd grandparent visitation suit; how do I change venue? Michigan

I am being sued by my exes mother for grandparents rights. He commited suicide in Aug, I never denied her time, she just wants too much. She's asking for every other weekend, every other holiday and 2 weeks out of summer. We are a busy family unit here, as I am remarried with more children. We are involved in sprts and church, etc and I do not need a judge to tell me when someone else can see my son. The grandmother filed under my exes old case number in a county I have not lived in for over 6 months. She filed using his name and case # but he is deceased and the judge is not certain if he still has a right to keep venue in that county. It is not a county that "sits" right next to my new one either. I have a little time to prepare a briefing for the judge stating my case as to the change of venue.....HELP??? I need old cases, etc. Advice....
    No
    50.00%
    Yes
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by CM1 View Post
    I am being sued by my exes mother for grandparents rights. He commited suicide in Aug, I never denied her time, she just wants too much. She's asking for every other weekend, every other holiday and 2 weeks out of summer. We are a busy family unit here, as I am remarried with more children. We are involved in sprts and church, etc and I do not need a judge to tell me when someone else can see my son. The grandmother filed under my exes old case number in a county I have not lived in for over 6 months. She filed using his name and case # but he is deceased and the judge is not certain if he still has a right to keep venue in that county. It is not a county that "sits" right next to my new one either. I have a little time to prepare a briefing for the judge stating my case as to the change of venue.....HELP??? I need old cases, etc. Advice....
    Well, first, the case that existed should be legally closed due to the death of one party. (as long as the Grandparents were never a legal party in that case).
    Second, for the GP's to use that case number and that name is fraud and it is a crime. If they wish to file for vistation they will have to file in the county you live in by opening a completely new case.

Try finding your state's statutes regarding venue of visitation cases, in almost all states the visitation or custody orders are supposed to be in the CP's county/state.

Maybe someone else can post with additional ideas.

Comment

change in venue

Well to be honest with you I am almost postive the custody case has to be heard in the county in which the child lives. The grand mother can file from the fathers old numbers but will be directed by the courts that a new case with a new file number must be started and it has to be in the county in which the child lives in.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X