Child Custody in Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Custody in Maryland

My son is 10 months old, and I have decided to split up with his father. We aren't married, but now he is threatening to take me to court to sue for full custody of our son.

He has been unemployed for the last three months and basicly been laying on the couch. He doesn't have a license or a vehicle, and has a history of incarcerations mostly for traffic violations. Our house (in my name) is in utter and complete shambles. He decided to take pictures of this disaster and has had a lawyer come over, and is now holding that over my head becuase apparently his lawyer said that he would have no problem getting custody.

What I want to know is can he actually do that???? I have a really good job, the house and the vehicle are both in my name, and I am the primary caretaker of everyone including the father. The only thing he has against me is the living conditions of the house.

Would the Maryland courts really award him custody based on cleanliness???

Why are the living condition the way they are? What exactly are so bad about them?

Comment

My day is completely filled. . .I get up at 6am take care of the baby, get ready for work, get him ready for daycare, and off we go by 8am. I work full time and we get home around 6pm-630pm. Then it's feed the baby, bathe the baby, and baby in bed between 8 and 9pm. At that point I am utterly exhuasted! I feel that if I'm the one working all the time, then he can take care of the house. . .which he doesn't do.

The weekends are pretty much the same except that the babys father chooses those days to go out here there and everywhere for whatever reason, so I do the best I can on the weekends while watching the baby.

Most people would say to do stuff while the baby is sleeping, by my son doesn't nap. . .if he does it's for maybe an hour. . .enough time to get a shower and and meal and the he's up for the rest of the day.

I have no family in Maryland, so getting help for anything is virtually impossible.

I have asked his father to help, he says he will, but then he turns around and leaves because he needs to see this person or that person.

I haven't had any help with the household since the baby was born. Not only am I left looking after a 10 month old, but we have two dogs that like to get into everything. . .espically the trash can. I feel so overwhelmed that I just want to cry.

I feel like I'm being held prisioner in my own home just so that I don't lose my child!

Comment

First off I have to say I have an 18month old at home I work 8-5:30, 6 days a week and still have time to manage my house work. So I think not trying to be rude but you are using that as an excuse. First off if dad is not helping show him where the door is and boot his *** out!!!!!! Second the dogs were your choice to get so you need to care for them and clean up after them if you can not do that then you need to get rid of them. The way it sounds is dad needs to go because he does NOTHING....... I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude but there is no excuse for dirtyness!!!!!!!! That's plan old lazy.

Comment

Then tell me how you do it.

The mess in the house isn't generated from me or the baby, it's generated from his father and the dogs.

He has me stuck right now. . .he has threatened suicide, he has threatened to take the baby, he has said that if I "make in angry and if I make him hate me even more, he doesn't know what he will do".

Comment

Originally posted by cspence
            My day is completely filled. . .I get up at 6am take care of the baby, get ready for work, get him ready for daycare, and off we go by 8am. I work full time and we get home around 6pm-630pm. Then it's feed the baby, bathe the baby, and baby in bed between 8 and 9pm. At that point I am utterly exhuasted! I feel that if I'm the one working all the time, then he can take care of the house. . .which he doesn't do.

The weekends are pretty much the same except that the babys father chooses those days to go out here there and everywhere for whatever reason, so I do the best I can on the weekends while watching the baby.

Most people would say to do stuff while the baby is sleeping, by my son doesn't nap. . .if he does it's for maybe an hour. . .enough time to get a shower and and meal and the he's up for the rest of the day.

I have no family in Maryland, so getting help for anything is virtually impossible.

I have asked his father to help, he says he will, but then he turns around and leaves because he needs to see this person or that person.

I haven't had any help with the household since the baby was born. Not only am I left looking after a 10 month old, but we have two dogs that like to get into everything. . .espically the trash can. I feel so overwhelmed that I just want to cry.

I feel like I'm being held prisioner in my own home just so that I don't lose my child!
            Welcome to Motherhood.

Seriously though, I doubt very much that a court would award custody of an infant to an unemployed father. While you most likely won't lose custody, it is possible that you will be placed on state supervision while getting help. Alot of that will depend on exactly how big of a mess your home is in. If there is just clutter and a litttle dust, but all are wearing clean clothes, etc. it won't be a problem. However, if there are things like days old dirty dishes laying around, dirty clothes everywhere, dog feces/urine, etc(you get the picture) that would be a big problem.

You may be able to get some help by speaking to someone at CPS or your local mental health clinic. They will be able to point you to some resources for help with everything. Good luck, and hang in there, it does get easier.
            Xena

Comment

It's hard to clean and take care of a baby, but Most of the time I wait untill he is sleeping at night (Down for the count) then do my cleaning I have to stay up late but I would much rather have a clean house. Hang in there you can do it. But I would first eliminate the problem an boot dad out.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X