X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Divorce or Not

"longshot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    your kidding right? most people spend their whole lives working.. why does a person work? for the money.
    If I worked solely for the money, I would have chosen a higher-paying
    profession. But I work for pleasure too. If I had millions, I'd still do the
    same work I'm doing now.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

your kidding right? most people spend their whole lives working.. why does a person work? for the money.
      If I worked solely for the money, I would have chosen a higher-paying
      profession. But I work for pleasure too. If I had millions, I'd still do the
      same work I'm doing now.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

"Supercalifragil Isticexpialidocius" <[email protected]> wrote in
        message news:[email protected]
        'Keep in mind I have a religious family so living together was a no no (which now I realize would of been great to "test" each other).' Actually, studies prove that there is a higher chance of divorce for those who lived together first. But they don't show that living together has any causative effect. Reply : Higher divorce rates have been linked to Shacking Up beforehand ; plus...there are many disadvantages/repercussions to cohabitating --- One only need watch Judge Judy on TV to see that .
        on a related note, people that smoke cigarettes are more likely to use
        heroine, become hookers, rob banks... ect..
        that's why you shouldn't smoke.

translation: a people that tend to live on the edge & take chances might be
        the kind that takes chances.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

'Keep in mind I have a religious family so living together was a no no (which now I realize would of been great to "test" each other).' Actually, studies prove that there is a higher chance of divorce for those who lived together first. But they don't show that living together has any causative effect. Reply : Higher divorce rates have been linked to Shacking Up beforehand ; plus...there are many disadvantages/repercussions to cohabitating --- One only need watch Judge Judy on TV to see that .
          on a related note, people that smoke cigarettes are more likely to use
          heroine, become hookers, rob banks... ect..
          that's why you shouldn't smoke.

translation: a people that tend to live on the edge & take chances might be
          the kind that takes chances.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

If I worked solely for the money, I would have chosen a higher-paying profession. But I work for pleasure too. If I had millions, I'd still do
            the
            same work I'm doing now.
            are you a hooker or a drug dealer?
            No. But I do work for myself. For lack of a better catch-all title, let's
            say I'm a freelance business / computer consultant.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

If I worked solely for the money, I would have chosen a higher-paying profession. But I work for pleasure too. If I had millions, I'd still do
              the
              same work I'm doing now.
              are you a hooker or a drug dealer?
              No. But I do work for myself. For lack of a better catch-all title, let's
              say I'm a freelance business / computer consultant.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

One only need watch Judge Judy on TV to see that .
                Oh wait... webtv... ok, I understand your logic now.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

One only need watch Judge Judy on TV to see that .
                  Oh wait... webtv... ok, I understand your logic now.

Comment

To Divorce or Not

[email protected] (Supercalifragil Isticexpialidocius) writes:
                    As I said, no one has shown that living together has any causative
                    effect.

While you are looking at things correlated with divorce:

In the US

-"red" states have higher divorce rates than "blue" states.
                    - christians have higher divorce rates than atheists and agnostics.
                    - amongst christians the highest divorce rates are among Baptists,
                    "born again," and fundamentalist christians.

Are we to interpret voting for Bush as increasing your chances of
                    divorce?

Are we to interpret "accepting Christ as your _personal_ savior" as
                    increasing your chances of divorce?

Comment

To Divorce or Not

[email protected] (Supercalifragil Isticexpialidocius) writes:
                      As I said, no one has shown that living together has any causative
                      effect.

While you are looking at things correlated with divorce:

In the US

-"red" states have higher divorce rates than "blue" states.
                      - christians have higher divorce rates than atheists and agnostics.
                      - amongst christians the highest divorce rates are among Baptists,
                      "born again," and fundamentalist christians.

Are we to interpret voting for Bush as increasing your chances of
                      divorce?

Are we to interpret "accepting Christ as your _personal_ savior" as
                      increasing your chances of divorce?

Comment

To Divorce or Not

What you are missing is that the kind of people who would cohabit may also
                        be the kind of people who are more likely to divorce. It isn't that
                        cohabiting causes divorce, it is that cohabiting and divorce often attract
                        the same type of personality.

Which is what Doug meant when he said "they don't show that living together
                        has any causative effect".

Comment

To Divorce or Not

What you are missing is that the kind of people who would cohabit may also
                          be the kind of people who are more likely to divorce. It isn't that
                          cohabiting causes divorce, it is that cohabiting and divorce often attract
                          the same type of personality.

Which is what Doug meant when he said "they don't show that living together
                          has any causative effect".

Comment

To Divorce or Not

"Joy" <[email protected]> writes:
                            "Supercalifragil Isticexpialidocius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                            What you are missing is that the kind of people who would cohabit may also be the kind of people who are more likely to divorce. It isn't that cohabiting causes divorce, it is that cohabiting and divorce often attract the same type of personality. Which is what Doug meant when he said "they don't show that living together has any causative effect".
                            Yes, OR (and I think this might be more likely):

I think there are certain people who after living together for a
                            long time, think they _should_ get married, and then get married
                            from that sense.

So it isn't living together that is the problem, the problem is the
                            idea in some people's heads that living together _ought_ to lead to
                            marriage.

Doug

Comment

To Divorce or Not

"Joy" <[email protected]> writes:
                              "Supercalifragil Isticexpialidocius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                              What you are missing is that the kind of people who would cohabit may also be the kind of people who are more likely to divorce. It isn't that cohabiting causes divorce, it is that cohabiting and divorce often attract the same type of personality. Which is what Doug meant when he said "they don't show that living together has any causative effect".
                              Yes, OR (and I think this might be more likely):

I think there are certain people who after living together for a
                              long time, think they _should_ get married, and then get married
                              from that sense.

So it isn't living together that is the problem, the problem is the
                              idea in some people's heads that living together _ought_ to lead to
                              marriage.

Doug

Comment

To Divorce or Not

"Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                                I think there are certain people who after living together for a long time, think they _should_ get married, and then get married from that sense. So it isn't living together that is the problem, the problem is the idea in some people's heads that living together _ought_ to lead to marriage.
                                I posted recently on That Other Newsgroup about a study looking at the
                                effect of (among other things) length of courtship on marital success.
                                Couples that dated for about 2 years were the most successful, but couples
                                who dated less than 18 months had more successful marriages than couples who
                                dated for 3 years or more. So one theory (possibly in complement with other
                                factors) I would propose is that living together (like dating for a long
                                time) maybe creates such a sense of familiarity and routine that you
                                overlook the "red flags" that may have bothered you earlier in the
                                relationship. Rather than making the bad stuff more obvious, maybe the
                                constant exposure of living together dampens our sensitivity to those
                                problems?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X