• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I tell

"WhansaMi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    I was speaking about the relative "wrongness" or immorality of a
    circumstance.
    Yes, I'd put adultery on the same level, in terms of morality, as armed robbery.
    Wow, Sheila. :-O I just have to say I completely disagree here, but as Cal
    mentioned, we're all pretty entrenched in our views (paraphrasing if I got
    that wrong, Cal!). It comes back to believing that the code we live by is
    the right one. I consider myself a person with integrity, but someone who
    considered all my views across the board might find that my positions don't
    spell integrity to him.
    But, I do have a desire to swipe that necklace, or have three
    Cosmopolitans. I
    don't do that either.
    I didn't know there was anything wrong with having three Cosmopolitans. :-)
    If there is, I am wrongity wrongity wrong *urp*. (To be fair, those drinks
    are really small.)

Jennifer

Should I tell

>"WhansaMi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    I was speaking about the relative "wrongness" or immorality of a
    circumstance.
    Yes, I'd put adultery on the same level, in terms of morality, as armed robbery.
    Wow, Sheila. :-O I just have to say I completely disagree here, but as Calmentioned, we're all pretty entrenched in our views (paraphrasing if I gotthat wrong, Cal!). It comes back to believing that the code we live by isthe right one. I consider myself a person with integrity, but someone whoconsidered all my views across the board might find that my positions don'tspell integrity to him.
    We are talking about my opinion here, which is why I keep saying, "IMO".

I do hold people who cheat on their spouses in less esteem, just as I hold
    people who steal or drive while drunk in less esteem.

My brother cheated on his wife. My nephew committed several burglaries when he
    was a late teen, and went to jail. I continue to have contact with both of
    them, but, yes, their actions have caused me to change my perspective of both
    of them (less so for my nephew, due to his age at the time of the offenses, and
    the fact that he has demonstrated a goodly level of integrity and
    responsibility since then). But, ultimately, yes, my brother's adultery made
    me lose respect for him as an ethical person that I doubt I will ever reclaim.
    But, I do have a desire to swipe that necklace, or have three
    Cosmopolitans. I
    don't do that either.
    I didn't know there was anything wrong with having three Cosmopolitans. :-)If there is, I am wrongity wrongity wrong *urp*. (To be fair, those drinksare really small.)Jennifer
    There is something wrong with it if you are driving. I found one of those BAC
    calculators online, and if a 140 lb. woman drinks three frozen daquiris
    (Cosmopolitans aren't listed as an option) over the course of three hours, her
    BAC is likely to be 0.10 -- legally impaired in all states.

Sheila

Comment

Should I tell

Jennifer in Maryland wrote in news:[email protected]:
      But, I do have a desire to swipe that necklace, or have three Cosmopolitans. I
      don't do that either.
      I didn't know there was anything wrong with having three Cosmopolitans. :-) If there is, I am wrongity wrongity wrong *urp*. (To be fair, those drinks are really small.)
      It is wrong in the context that Sheila orignially mentions, which is
      having three cosmos (my favorite as well ), and then getting behind the
      wheel of a car. I also don't engage in drinking if I am to drive. Even
      at home, I won't have a glass of wine until my kids are home for the
      night. To some, that is extreme, but I know how alcohol affects me and
      it's a necessary precaution to take.

--
      Cal~

Change me to myself for email :-)

Comment

Should I tell

"Jennifer in Maryland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        I didn't know there was anything wrong with having three Cosmopolitans. :-) If there is, I am wrongity wrongity wrong *urp*.
        Pay the royalty.

Jess

Comment

Should I tell

Wow, Sheila. :-O I just have to say I completely disagree here, but as
          Cal
          mentioned, we're all pretty entrenched in our views (paraphrasing if I
          got
          that wrong, Cal!). It comes back to believing that the code we live by
          is
          the right one. I consider myself a person with integrity, but someone
          who
          considered all my views across the board might find that my positions
          don't
          spell integrity to him. We are talking about my opinion here, which is why I keep saying, "IMO". I do hold people who cheat on their spouses in less esteem, just as I hold people who steal or drive while drunk in less esteem. My brother cheated on his wife. My nephew committed several burglaries
          when he
          was a late teen, and went to jail. I continue to have contact with both
          of
          them, but, yes, their actions have caused me to change my perspective of
          both
          of them (less so for my nephew, due to his age at the time of the
          offenses, and
          the fact that he has demonstrated a goodly level of integrity and responsibility since then). But, ultimately, yes, my brother's adultery
          made
          me lose respect for him as an ethical person that I doubt I will ever
          reclaim.

Fair enough! So how ethical is my position to you--that is, I've never
          cheated and plan never to cheat, but I can't say within a shadow of a doubt
          that I would never cheat?

Jennifer

Comment

Should I tell

Me:
            My brother cheated on his wife. My nephew committed several burglarieswhen he
            was a late teen, and went to jail. I continue to have contact with both
            of
            them, but, yes, their actions have caused me to change my perspective of
            both
            of them (less so for my nephew, due to his age at the time of the
            offenses, and
            the fact that he has demonstrated a goodly level of integrity and responsibility since then). But, ultimately, yes, my brother's adultery
            made
            me lose respect for him as an ethical person that I doubt I will ever
            reclaim.
            Jennifer: >Fair enough! So how ethical is my position to you--that is, I've
            never
            cheated and plan never to cheat, but I can't say within a shadow of a doubtthat I would never cheat?Jennifer

Neither ethical or unethical. A prediction about behavior is not an ethical
            issue.

Now, if you were to say, "I can't say as without a shadow of a doubt that I
            would never cheat, but if I did, as long as it was only once, I don't think
            that would be wrong/immoral/unethical", well, then I'd have to say that I think
            that is wrong.

Sheila

Comment

Should I tell

Jennifer in Maryland wrote:
              "WhansaMi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
              Wow, Sheila. :-O I just have to say I completely disagree here, but as
              Cal
              mentioned, we're all pretty entrenched in our views (paraphrasing if I
              got
              that wrong, Cal!). It comes back to believing that the code we live by
              is
              the right one. I consider myself a person with integrity, but someone
              who
              considered all my views across the board might find that my positions
              don't
              spell integrity to him. We are talking about my opinion here, which is why I keep saying, "IMO". I do hold people who cheat on their spouses in less esteem, just as I
              hold
              people who steal or drive while drunk in less esteem. My brother cheated on his wife. My nephew committed several burglaries
              when
              he was a late teen, and went to jail. I continue to have contact with
              both
              of them, but, yes, their actions have caused me to change my perspective
              of
              both of them (less so for my nephew, due to his age at the time of the offenses, and the fact that he has demonstrated a goodly level of
              integrity
              and responsibility since then). But, ultimately, yes, my brother's
              adultery
              made me lose respect for him as an ethical person that I doubt I will
              ever
              reclaim. Fair enough! So how ethical is my position to you--that is, I've never cheated and plan never to cheat, but I can't say within a shadow of a
              doubt
              that I would never cheat? Jennifer
              Well, no maybe YOU can't, Jennifer. You've still got a few more of the
              Ten Commandments to catch up on first - at least if I read what you said
              right.

Comment

Should I tell

Jennifer: >Fair enough! So how ethical is my position to you--that is,
                I've
                never
                cheated and plan never to cheat, but I can't say within a shadow of a
                doubt
                that I would never cheat?Jennifer Neither ethical or unethical. A prediction about behavior is not an
                ethical
                issue. Now, if you were to say, "I can't say as without a shadow of a doubt that
                I
                would never cheat, but if I did, as long as it was only once, I don't
                think
                that would be wrong/immoral/unethical", well, then I'd have to say that I
                think
                that is wrong.
                Hmmm, I don't think that if Tim did it once, it would be
                wrong/immoral/unethical. I'd consider it stupid experimentation and I'd
                want him not to put it on me.

I'm not sure if I'd say that I could do it once and it would not be
                wrong/immoral/unethical. OTOH, what's keeping me from cheating is my
                connection with Tim, not some sense that cheating is wrong. I don't avoid
                cheating because I think it's immoral, I avoid cheating because I want to
                feel at peace with myself. I imagine that *if* I cheated, I'd feel
                justified in some way as I've seen other people behave, and I'd possibly
                feel I'm still a moral person. As I just discussed with Tracey, though, I
                would certainly grant that I've committed an immoral *act*.

Jennifer

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X