X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Action: Reject Statuatory Rape!

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] m...
    Urge Producers of the show Desperate Housewives to write out an affair between an adult housewife and her underage gardener.

Where do you get that the gardener is a high school kid? He looks to be in
    his 20's.

Take Action: Reject Statuatory Rape!

"dejablues" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] m...
    Urge Producers of the show Desperate Housewives to write out an affair between an adult housewife and her underage gardener.
    Where do you get that the gardener is a high school kid? He looks to be in his 20's.
    The *actor* is 25.

The *character* is 17.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/desperate/about.html

"...and Gabrielle Solis, the ex-model with everything she's every
    wanted – a rich husband, a big house – so what is she doing with John,
    the 17-year-old gardener (Jesse Metcalfe)?"

What would the reaction be if this were a 35 year old married man
    having an affair with the 17 year old family baby sitter?

-Lee.

Comment

[email protected] (Lee) writes:
      Where do you get that the gardener is a high school kid? He looks to be in his 20's.
      The *actor* is 25. The *character* is 17. http://abc.go.com/primetime/desperate/about.html "...and Gabrielle Solis, the ex-model with everything she's every wanted – a rich husband, a big house – so what is she doing with John, the 17-year-old gardener (Jesse Metcalfe)?" What would the reaction be if this were a 35 year old married man having an affair with the 17 year old family baby sitter?
      I don't know. What was the reaction to Mamet's "State and Main?" I
      don't recall a lot of outrage somehow.

(Though my reaction to both of these is that the productions in
      question are both too dumb to get worked up about.)

What was the reaction when network TV's most highly rated comedy had a
      (male) professor sleeping with one of his (female) students?

Comment

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] m...
        The *actor* is 25. The *character* is 17. http://abc.go.com/primetime/desperate/about.html "...and Gabrielle Solis, the ex-model with everything she's every wanted - a rich husband, a big house - so what is she doing with John, the 17-year-old gardener (Jesse Metcalfe)?" What would the reaction be if this were a 35 year old married man having an affair with the 17 year old family baby sitter? -Lee.
        My reacation would be: so what?

Marley

Comment

[email protected] writes:
          In Message-ID:<[email protected]> posted on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:04:54 +1000, Tai wrote:
          (really big snip)
          Nope. I don't know either way and am unlikely to at this distance. I suspectthey aren't applied very vigorously where the 'child' is 17, though. (Mymain point, btw, lest it get lost again.) Is it your contention that isn'tthe case? Since you live outside the US now just how much first handknowledge do you possess? Do you regard first hand knowledge as the only reliable source of knowledge? How many things have you learned in school have you personally verified? If you have taken a chemistry course, have you personally verified the melting points of all the elements? Do you believe everything in the history books or on the current news, for that matter? What do you consider as "proof"?
          I don't know if Tai was asking for "proof." Myself, I'd settle for
          _evidence_ (firsthand or not).

(The only evidence for statutory rape being enforced against men more
          heavily then women in the U.S. presented in this thread was "Joey
          Buttafucco." Who served, I believe, 6 months, and then had a
          Hollywood career, followed by several arrests for other crimes! So he
          doesn't make a very good example of someone who has been sadly abused
          by the system. [I think he may have gotten off lightly because people
          feel sorry for him on account of his name.]

To which one could respond with Mary LeTourneau, who served 7.5 years,
          or Pamela Smart, who's underage lover, like Buttafucco's attempted to
          murder Smart's spouse. The differences being that Smart's lover
          succeeded, and she is serving a life-without-parole term instead of
          Buttafucco's 6 months.

So as far as "proof" goes, I haven't even seen _evidence_ presented in
          this thread for the assertion that statutory rape is prosecuted
          against men a higher proportion of the time, or more vigorously, than
          against women. As far as "celebrity" cases in the U.S. go, it looks
          to be the other way around. But I don't judge much based on celebrity
          cases myself.

(more major snipping)

Doug

Comment

"Doug Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:[email protected]
            [email protected] (Lee) writes:
            <snip>
            I gave an example. Twice now.
            Jeremy Irons' Lolita was *banned in the US*. Too offensive some say. Nicole Kiddman has a new film in which she has an affair with a ten year old boy, who is allegedly the reincarnation of her dead lover. We shall see if it is distributed stateside. Please post the obverse situation where a grown man does this with a ten year old girl, in any mainstream English language film.
            Obverse to what? And how did you get from 17 year old boys to 10 year old girls?

With a very long bow.

Tai

Comment

Tai wrote:
              {snippage}
              In view of the HIV crisis in Africa I wonder if African countries are devoting energy to teaching their children how to protect themselves. I read one shocking statistic that 10% of 15 - 24 year olds in South Africa are HIV positive. Pregnancy pales into relative insignificance when you see something like that.
              {snippage}

I don't think so. Not only do condoms protect the users from
              HIV/AIDS, they're also birth control.

The Catholic church and our esteemed(sic) administration are
              telling people that the only method of birth control is
              abstention. Far better to bring a baby into the world to
              die of AIDS than not to have the baby at all.

--
              -- Marten Kemp
              (Fix name and ISP to reply)

Comment

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:39:56 GMT, Marten Kemp
                <[email protected]> wrote:
                Tai wrote: {snippage}
                In view of the HIV crisis in Africa I wonder if African countries are devoting energy to teaching their children how to protect themselves. I read one shocking statistic that 10% of 15 - 24 year olds in South Africa are HIV positive. Pregnancy pales into relative insignificance when you see something like that.
                {snippage} I don't think so. Not only do condoms protect the users from HIV/AIDS, they're also birth control. The Catholic church and our esteemed(sic) administration are telling people that the only method of birth control is abstention. Far better to bring a baby into the world to die of AIDS than not to have the baby at all.
                The only one that works 100% of the time.

-Tony

--
                "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time
                to fertilize your lawn!"
                Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend.
                Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Comment

"Tony Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:39:56 GMT, Marten Kemp <[email protected]> wrote:
                  {snippage} I don't think so. Not only do condoms protect the users from HIV/AIDS, they're also birth control. The Catholic church and our esteemed(sic) administration are telling people that the only method of birth control is abstention. Far better to bring a baby into the world to die of AIDS than not to have the baby at all.
                  The only one that works 100% of the time. -Tony
                  Abstinence? Works 100% of the time and followed only 10% of the time by 2%
                  of the population. Great Plan.

rg

Comment

Tony Miller <[email protected]> writes:
                    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:39:56 GMT, Marten Kemp <[email protected]> wrote:
                    The only one that works 100% of the time.
                    Sure. But the high teen-pregnancy rate in the US bible belt (where
                    abstinence is preached religiously) tells you that a method of
                    avoiding pregnancy which works 100% of the time, but which most people
                    are simply unwilling to use, is a very poor method indeed.

Doug

Comment

Tony Miller <[email protected]> writes:

(snip)
                      LOL!!!!! You, who go on record implying that chastity is impossible for most people quote statistics when condoms are USED PROPERLY?!?!?!?!?
                      I don't understand this sentence.

But I certainly haven't implied that chastity is impossible. However,
                      it doesn't seem to be the choice most people make, even when kept
                      shamed and ignorant.

Comment

Doug Anderson wrote:
                        Tony Miller <[email protected]> writes: (snip)
                        LOL!!!!! You, who go on record implying that chastity is impossible for most people quote statistics when condoms are USED PROPERLY?!?!?!?!?
                        I don't understand this sentence. But I certainly haven't implied that chastity is impossible. However, it doesn't seem to be the choice most people make, even when kept shamed and ignorant.
                        "shamed"??? today? like where?

Comment

<[email protected]> wrote in message
                          and many would like the US to be a theocracy.
                          I wonder how many? What percentage? And of those that would, do they mean a theocracy where only their particular group gets to dictate policy? I somehow can't imagine the Catholics in the US wanting some Protestant group to dictate policy, and find it even harder to imagine any Protestant in the US wanting the Pope to have control over the USA.
                          It isn't an "official" theocracy that many people seem to want - it's more
                          subtle than that. It is more along the lines of "I believe XYZ, and it is
                          so absolutely crystal clear to me that XYZ is the "one true way", that of
                          COURSE all our laws should be written to reflect that".

Comment

"Joy" <[email protected]> wrote
                            It isn't an "official" theocracy that many people seem to want - it's more subtle than that. It is more along the lines of "I believe XYZ, and it is so absolutely crystal clear to me that XYZ is the "one true way", that of COURSE all our laws should be written to reflect that".
                            Yup, and ironically, this is exactly the case in those "terrorist" countries
                            that these selfsame people hate so much. So why are they trying to turn the
                            US from a free country into one of them?

Comment

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:17:15 -0400, Joy
                              <[email protected]> wrote:
                              <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                              and many would like the US to be a theocracy.
                              I wonder how many? What percentage? And of those that would, do they mean a theocracy where only their particular group gets to dictate policy? I somehow can't imagine the Catholics in the US wanting some Protestant group to dictate policy, and find it even harder to imagine any Protestant in the US wanting the Pope to have control over the USA.
                              It isn't an "official" theocracy that many people seem to want - it's more subtle than that. It is more along the lines of "I believe XYZ, and it is so absolutely crystal clear to me that XYZ is the "one true way", that of COURSE all our laws should be written to reflect that".
                              Of course. You have a problem with that?

-Tony

--
                              "If the grass appears to be greener on the other side of the fence, it's time
                              to fertilize your lawn!"
                              Want to jump start your marriage? Consider a Marriage Encounter weekend.
                              Check out http://www.wwme.org for more information.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X