• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T.Whats wrong with me???

Jennifer - you never answered this. Do you know why, or not? You don't
    have to be afraid to tell me!

Bill in Co. wrote:
    Jennifer in Maryland wrote:
    "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > Sounds too simplistic to me, Caren. I know I don't know those women,
    but I
    > bet you don't either. Since you haven't been here terribly long I had to Google myself to figure it out...I've actually been posting sporadically for 18 months, but I probably lurked for close to a year
    before
    that, so that makes 2 1/2 years. The time flies, doesn't it? :-)
    With a capital S. The countertops and new couches are far more important than who runs our country. I know what and who I am talking about.
    Okay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about schools. Our public school district is fairly good for this city, but the county's system is
    abysmal.
    We send our younger 3 kids to private school, and even though I'm an atheist, I prefer it a thousandfold over where they'd be going. The choices around here for us were pretty much (1) move to a hugely expensive neighborhood & count on a reputable public school system, (2)
    live
    in a more affordable neighborhood & count on paying for private school (that's us), or (3) buy into the hugely expensive homes in what *was* our affordable area & still have the crappy public school system. I've been more and more disillusioned with the public school system as
    time
    goes by, and both DH and I are public school kids. SD18 graduated this
    past
    year from the same high school her dad and I attended. Things are far different there in the same building than they were 25 years ago. :-O Jennifer Yup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?

Comment

Bill in Co. wrote:
      Jennifer - you never answered this. Do you know why, or not? You don't have to be afraid to tell me!

I think the biggest reason is threat of litigation. Schools teach "scared".

JWB

Bill in Co. wrote:
      Jennifer in Maryland wrote:
      "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] oogle.com...>>Sounds too simplistic to me, Caren. I know I don't know those women,
      but I
      >>bet you don't either.>>Since you haven't been here terribly longI had to Google myself to figure it out...I've actually been postingsporadically for 18 months, but I probably lurked for close to a year
      before
      that, so that makes 2 1/2 years. The time flies, doesn't it? :-)>With a capital S. The countertops and new>couches are far more important than who runs our country. I know what>and who I am talking about.Okay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about schools. Our public schooldistrict is fairly good for this city, but the county's system is
      abysmal.
      We send our younger 3 kids to private school, and even though I'm anatheist, I prefer it a thousandfold over where they'd be going.The choices around here for us were pretty much (1) move to a hugelyexpensive neighborhood & count on a reputable public school system, (2)
      live
      in a more affordable neighborhood & count on paying for private school(that's us), or (3) buy into the hugely expensive homes in what *was* ouraffordable area & still have the crappy public school system.I've been more and more disillusioned with the public school system as
      time
      goes by, and both DH and I are public school kids. SD18 graduated this
      past
      year from the same high school her dad and I attended. Things are fardifferent there in the same building than they were 25 years ago. :-OJenniferYup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?

Comment

The whole culture TODAY operates under the fear of ligitation. And you
        can see the result. That's why I love and respect the legal "profession"
        so much. I can't blame all the clients, as so many of them are nincompoops.
        But the profession that supports and encourages it? You bet.

JWB wrote:
        Bill in Co. wrote:
        Jennifer - you never answered this. Do you know why, or not? You
        don't
        have to be afraid to tell me! I think the biggest reason is threat of litigation. Schools teach
        "scared".
        JWB
        Bill in Co. wrote:
        Jennifer in Maryland wrote:> "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message> news:[email protected] om...>>>>> Sounds too simplistic to me, Caren. I know I don't know those women,>>> but I bet you don't either.>>>> Since you haven't been here terribly long>> I had to Google myself to figure it out...I've actually been posting> sporadically for 18 months, but I probably lurked for close to a year> before that, so that makes 2 1/2 years. The time flies, doesn't it?
        :-)
        >>>> With a capital S. The countertops and new>> couches are far more important than who runs our country. I know what>> and who I am talking about.>> Okay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about schools. Our public
        school
        > district is fairly good for this city, but the county's system is
        abysmal.
        > We send our younger 3 kids to private school, and even though I'm an> atheist, I prefer it a thousandfold over where they'd be going.>> The choices around here for us were pretty much (1) move to a hugely> expensive neighborhood & count on a reputable public school system, (2)> live in a more affordable neighborhood & count on paying for private
        school
        > (that's us), or (3) buy into the hugely expensive homes in what *was*
        our
        > affordable area & still have the crappy public school system.>> I've been more and more disillusioned with the public school system as
        time
        > goes by, and both DH and I are public school kids. SD18 graduated this> past year from the same high school her dad and I attended. Things are
        far
        > different there in the same building than they were 25 years ago. :-O>> Jennifer Yup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?

Comment

Bill in Co. wrote:
          The whole culture TODAY operates under the fear of ligitation. And you can see the result. That's why I love and respect the legal "profession" so much. I can't blame all the clients, as so many of them are nincompoops. But the profession that supports and encourages it? You bet.

I really don't - I'm an entrepreneur - if there's a need, I will try to
          fill it. I can't blame lawyers.

I more blame the clients.

JWB wrote:
          Bill in Co. wrote:
          don't
          have to be afraid to tell me!I think the biggest reason is threat of litigation. Schools teach
          "scared".
          JWB
          Bill in Co. wrote:>Jennifer in Maryland wrote:>>>>"Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message>>news:[email protected] .google.com...>>>>>>>>>>Sounds too simplistic to me, Caren. I know I don't know those women,>>>>but I bet you don't either.>>>>>>Since you haven't been here terribly long>>>>I had to Google myself to figure it out...I've actually been posting>>sporadically for 18 months, but I probably lurked for close to a year>>before that, so that makes 2 1/2 years. The time flies, doesn't it?
          >>>>>With a capital S. The countertops and new>>>couches are far more important than who runs our country. I know what>>>and who I am talking about.>>>>Okay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about schools. Our public
          school
          >>district is fairly good for this city, but the county's system is
          abysmal.
          >>We send our younger 3 kids to private school, and even though I'm an>>atheist, I prefer it a thousandfold over where they'd be going.>>>>The choices around here for us were pretty much (1) move to a hugely>>expensive neighborhood & count on a reputable public school system, (2)>>live in a more affordable neighborhood & count on paying for private
          school
          >>(that's us), or (3) buy into the hugely expensive homes in what *was*
          our
          >>affordable area & still have the crappy public school system.>>>>I've been more and more disillusioned with the public school system as
          time
          >>goes by, and both DH and I are public school kids. SD18 graduated this>>past year from the same high school her dad and I attended. Things are
          far
          >>different there in the same building than they were 25 years ago. :-O>>>>Jennifer>>Yup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?

Comment

"Bill in Co." <[email protected]> wrote in message
            news:ve2dd.1100$%[email protected] nk.net...
            don't
            have to be afraid to tell me!
            Well, Bill, I mentioned my school system being in worse shape than 25 years
            ago, and your response was:

"Yup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?"

I figured that to be a rhetorical question, begging for the response that
            begins with, "In my day..."

I know you think everything is going downhill simply because it's 25 years
            past the day that was 25 years ago, but you know I don't agree that things
            have gone to hell in a handbasket. I don't want to feed that negativity &
            don't want to engage in it myself.

However, if you wanted an honest answer, the reason SD's high school is
            worse than 25 years ago is due to overcrowding. It's at 141% of capacity,
            something like 2,700 students in grades 9-12. There's not enough attention
            to individual students.

It would ease matters greatly if a new high school were built to siphon off
            the extra students. The middle school where DH, SD and I attended has *17*
            temporary buildings in its parking lot, right down the road from us in what
            is a leafy, healthy and otherwise uncrowded suburb. The other middle school
            we used to have was turned into an elementary school over a decade ago, so
            now it's just the one...and that sucks.

FWIW, I was pleased with SD's experiences for the most part in both the
            middle and high school, but if I can avoid them at all (and I can), I will.
            DH and I have the option of sending our BKs to private and
            religious-affiliated schools, and they are receiving an incredible
            education. I can't rave enough about how much I love their school. At this
            point, I'd home school my kids rather than send them to the local high
            school, if I couldn't afford the private school.

Jennifer

Comment

"JWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:[email protected]
              Bill in Co. wrote:
              don't
              have to be afraid to tell me! I think the biggest reason is threat of litigation. Schools teach
              "scared".

I don't see that so much in our area. What do you mean, that schools are
              afraid of disciplining their students? I'm sure that's true, but I'm not
              privy to that. What I do know is that there are classes of 35-40 students,
              where even one unruly student can screw up the learning experience for the
              others.

If I can give my children one thing, it will be a love of education. It is
              a privilege that they have the opportunity to go to school and learn, and I
              want them to be in an environment that supports that POV.

Jennifer

Comment

JWB wrote:
                Bill in Co. wrote:
                The whole culture TODAY operates under the fear of ligitation. And you can see the result. That's why I love and respect the legal
                "profession"
                so much. I can't blame all the clients, as so many of them are
                nincompoops.
                But the profession that supports and encourages it? You bet. I really don't - I'm an entrepreneur - if there's a need, I will try to fill it. I can't blame lawyers. I more blame the clients.
                The clients aren't the professionals, they're (as often as not) just some
                dingbats of society who feel they are entitled to everything. There is
                nothing you can do about that. But the "legal professionals" are supposed
                to ACT like Professionals, in EVERY sense of the meaning of that word.
                And that means drawing some lines! And it requires Principles, Morality,
                and personal integrity, something obviously lacking in the "let's make as
                much money as we can off of these dip**** clients".
                JWB wrote:
                Bill in Co. wrote:> Jennifer - you never answered this. Do you know why, or not? You
                don't
                > have to be afraid to tell me! I think the biggest reason is threat of litigation. Schools teach
                "scared".
                JWB> Bill in Co. wrote:>>>> Jennifer in Maryland wrote:>>>>>>> "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message>>> news:[email protected] om...>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sounds too simplistic to me, Caren. I know I don't know those
                women,
                >>>>> but I bet you don't either.>>>>>>>> Since you haven't been here terribly long>>>>>> I had to Google myself to figure it out...I've actually been posting>>> sporadically for 18 months, but I probably lurked for close to a year>>> before that, so that makes 2 1/2 years. The time flies, doesn't it? :-)
                >>>>>>> With a capital S. The countertops and new>>>> couches are far more important than who runs our country. I know
                what
                >>>> and who I am talking about.>>>>>> Okay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about schools. Our public school
                >>> district is fairly good for this city, but the county's system is
                abysmal.
                >>> We send our younger 3 kids to private school, and even though I'm an>>> atheist, I prefer it a thousandfold over where they'd be going.>>>>>> The choices around here for us were pretty much (1) move to a hugely>>> expensive neighborhood & count on a reputable public school system,
                (2)
                >>> live in a more affordable neighborhood & count on paying for private school
                >>> (that's us), or (3) buy into the hugely expensive homes in what *was*
                our
                >>> affordable area & still have the crappy public school system.>>>>>> I've been more and more disillusioned with the public school system
                as
                time
                >>> goes by, and both DH and I are public school kids. SD18 graduated
                this
                >>> past year from the same high school her dad and I attended. Things
                are
                far
                >>> different there in the same building than they were 25 years ago.
                :-O
                >>>>>> Jennifer>>>> Yup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?

Comment

I love the Republicans who talk about the litigation crisis, but when its their
                  own case, the first thing you hear is how they're really hurt (unlike the other
                  fakers) and what they're entitled to. A few large personal injury awards were
                  won by by plaintiffs who previously campaigned for tort reform.
                  Subject: Re: O.T.Re: Whats wrong with me???From: JWB [email protected]Date: 10/19/2004 3:00 PM Eastern Standard TimeMessage-id: <[email protected]>Bill in Co. wrote:
                  The whole culture TODAY operates under the fear of ligitation. And you can see the result. That's why I love and respect the legal "profession" so much. I can't blame all the clients, as so many of them are
                  nincompoops.
                  But the profession that supports and encourages it? You bet.
                  I really don't - I'm an entrepreneur - if there's a need, I will try tofill it. I can't blame lawyers.I more blame the clients.
                  JWB wrote:
                  Bill in Co. wrote:>Jennifer - you never answered this. Do you know why, or not? You
                  don't
                  >have to be afraid to tell me!I think the biggest reason is threat of litigation. Schools teach
                  "scared".
                  JWB>Bill in Co. wrote:>>>>Jennifer in Maryland wrote:>>>>>>>"Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message>>>news:[email protected] g.google.com...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sounds too simplistic to me, Caren. I know I don't know those women,>>>>>but I bet you don't either.>>>>>>>>Since you haven't been here terribly long>>>>>>I had to Google myself to figure it out...I've actually been posting>>>sporadically for 18 months, but I probably lurked for close to a year>>>before that, so that makes 2 1/2 years. The time flies, doesn't it?
                  >>>>>>>With a capital S. The countertops and new>>>>couches are far more important than who runs our country. I know what>>>>and who I am talking about.>>>>>>Okay. I enjoyed reading your thoughts about schools. Our public
                  school
                  >>>district is fairly good for this city, but the county's system is
                  abysmal.
                  >>>We send our younger 3 kids to private school, and even though I'm an>>>atheist, I prefer it a thousandfold over where they'd be going.>>>>>>The choices around here for us were pretty much (1) move to a hugely>>>expensive neighborhood & count on a reputable public school system, (2)>>>live in a more affordable neighborhood & count on paying for private
                  school
                  >>>(that's us), or (3) buy into the hugely expensive homes in what *was*
                  our
                  >>>affordable area & still have the crappy public school system.>>>>>>I've been more and more disillusioned with the public school system as
                  time
                  >>>goes by, and both DH and I are public school kids. SD18 graduated this>>>past year from the same high school her dad and I attended. Things are
                  far
                  >>>different there in the same building than they were 25 years ago. :-O>>>>>>Jennifer>>>>Yup. And do you know why that is true, Jennifer?

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X