Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father taking custody Maryland

I need some guidance....here's the history:
    My husband and I have been married for about 1 1/2 years (together over 3). He has a six year old daughter from a previous relationship (they were not married). We have a 1 year old daughter together. Since his ex and him split in 2003, he pretty much saw his daughter on a consistent basis. I came into the picture shortly after they split and am very close with his daughter. His ex and I didn't always see eye to eye, but now we are very civil and don't have any problems getting along. This past year has been a little turbulent for both him and his ex in different ways. He has struggled with some drug addiction and she has been involved in an abusive relationship. He is now clean and sober and we are going to be moving into a new house (we are now staying with my mom) within the next month. She, however, is still involved in the abusive relationship and it has been affecting the 6 year old. She has come to me several times with very interesting stories about what has been going on at home with her mom, and she doesn't like her boyfreind at all. Her mom does not have her enrolled in school and basically seems to be putting her aside. I always thought that his ex was a good mother, but since she's been involved with this guy, she has put her daughter to the back burner. Once my husband and I move, he really wants to take custody of his daughter, I just wanted an opinion on what may happen given his problems this past year and his ex's current living situation (3 adults and his daughter live in a 1 bdrm apt). Any ideas?

Originally posted by bribaby1105 View Post
    I need some guidance....here's the history:
    My husband and I have been married for about 1 1/2 years (together over 3). He has a six year old daughter from a previous relationship (they were not married). We have a 1 year old daughter together. Since his ex and him split in 2003, he pretty much saw his daughter on a consistent basis. I came into the picture shortly after they split and am very close with his daughter. His ex and I didn't always see eye to eye, but now we are very civil and don't have any problems getting along. This past year has been a little turbulent for both him and his ex in different ways. He has struggled with some drug addiction and she has been involved in an abusive relationship. He is now clean and sober and we are going to be moving into a new house (we are now staying with my mom) within the next month. She, however, is still involved in the abusive relationship and it has been affecting the 6 year old. She has come to me several times with very interesting stories about what has been going on at home with her mom, and she doesn't like her boyfreind at all. Her mom does not have her enrolled in school and basically seems to be putting her aside. I always thought that his ex was a good mother, but since she's been involved with this guy, she has put her daughter to the back burner. Once my husband and I move, he really wants to take custody of his daughter, I just wanted an opinion on what may happen given his problems this past year and his ex's current living situation (3 adults and his daughter live in a 1 bdrm apt). Any ideas?
    A recent drug addiction is considered to be more "dangerous" to a child than a parent living in an abusive relationship, sorry.

He probably won't be able to get custody, or at least it will be a long, expensive process with no real hope of winning- absent direct abuse of child by mother.

Is mom home schooling the child? If she isn't he can report that to the authorities or CPS. If there is any indication that mom or mom's BF are abusing the child, it should be reported to CPS.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinion. To answer your question, no she is not home schoolong her. We were told she was to start school 2 mondays ago because they had moved. However, before they moved she wasn't in school. I spoke with her mother last night, and now she tells me that his daughter is to start school today. I truly hope this is the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by bribaby1105 View Post
        Thank you very much, I really appreciate your opinion. To answer your question, no she is not home schoolong her. We were told she was to start school 2 mondays ago because they had moved. However, before they moved she wasn't in school. I spoke with her mother last night, and now she tells me that his daughter is to start school today. I truly hope this is the truth.
        Your husband should wait about a week or two and then check to make sure his daughter is really enrolled. If she isn't he needs to report it to CPS.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X