changing baby's last name Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing baby's last name Kentucky

how do i go about doing this? my son was born on march 8, 2010. i gave him his father's last name because we were together and thought we were getting married. two days ago, the father dropped a bomb on me saying he's not happy, so we are no longer together. what types of things would they ask? how much does it cost? is my son too young to change his name already?

Is he the biological father? If so, then he deserves to have his fathers last name.

It makes his life so much cleaner, even though his parents do not get along today.

Get along where the child is concerned. You have a lifetime of connection to the father now. File for child support, and custody rights. The father deserves to be able to see his son, and the child deserves to know his whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by GotSmart View Post
      Is he the biological father? If so, then he deserves to have his fathers last name.

It makes his life so much cleaner, even though his parents do not get along today.

Get along where the child is concerned. You have a lifetime of connection to the father now. File for child support, and custody rights. The father deserves to be able to see his son, and the child deserves to know his whole family.
      i don't believe that someone who walks out on a one week old baby and his mother deserves to give the child his last name. he is not going to see my son at all, and i don't believe he wants to.

Comment

It is not about you or him. It is about the child.

The child deserves ADULTS for parents.

Comment

Originally posted by soszgurl13 View Post
          how do i go about doing this? my son was born on march 8, 2010. i gave him his father's last name because we were together and thought we were getting married. two days ago, the father dropped a bomb on me saying he's not happy, so we are no longer together. what types of things would they ask? how much does it cost? is my son too young to change his name already?
          Your first step must, by law, be to serve dad with notice that you are filing a name change petition.

IF Dad is in agreement, the name can be changed very easily.

However, if Dad does NOT agree, at this stage it will be virtually impossible to get a Judge to order the change over dad's objections.

So, ask Dad how he feels about the name change BEFORE you even file.

Comment

my son's father and i are both adults. i feel like it would be in his best interest to have my last name. he doesn't need to have a huge stamp like this screaming "my father is a deadbeat!".

Comment

Up until 2 days ago, you did not have a problem with him.

Both of you need some time to think about things. He is obviously scared about growing up.

If I had him here, I would give him a swift kick in the pants, but as it is you need to take things slow. Don't do anything in a hurry that you will regret later.

Comment

Originally posted by soszgurl13 View Post
                my son's father and i are both adults. i feel like it would be in his best interest to have my last name. he doesn't need to have a huge stamp like this screaming "my father is a deadbeat!".
                First, your child is not quite 2 weeks old.
                Second, you do NOT have a court order for CS.

So, until there is a court order for CS and dad does not pay, nor see his child for at least 1 year or more, he cannot be called a "deadbeat".
                Besides that, have you EVER seen any child that you can tell has a "deadbeat" parent simply by looking at them, or thier last name?

What you should do, since you are saying that your son's best interests come first, will be to file immediately for a custody and CS order.

Once you have that and some time passes without any CS and without Dad seeing his child, then you might have a chance at getting a court order to allow a name change against Dad's wishes.

Comment

I have a feeling this is Kelly.
                  HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                  How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                  (unique up on him)
                  How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                  (same way)

Comment

or a "Kelly"

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X