In a dilemma, not 18. Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a dilemma, not 18. Kentucky

I live in Kentucky with my parents as I have all my life. To start things off, I will address my issues with my parents. Since I was born, my father has been involved with alcohol abuse, and I believe he has confirmed anger management issues. As far back as I can remember at least 4-5 days a week my parents have fought. Ever since I was about 3 years old. My father would, and still does, verbally abuse my mother, and sometimes will break things, or throw things at her. I can recall a time when I was about 7 years old he was drinking heavily and popping pills just to feel good, and he threw an old crutch at me and hit me in the forehead. He hasn't hurt me recently but he does verbally abuse me, my mother, and my 2 brothers. I no longer see him as a father figure, only a source of abuse and suffering. As for my mother, she sides with him out of fear of being yelled at or hurt. It's not her fault but it's not helping matters for me. Now days they are both addicted to a computer game. My dad plays on the computer, goes to work, sleeps, and plays computer more. I rarely even talk to him. maybe an hour a week. As for my mother, she too is addicted to the same thing. She does not do laundry, she does not cook, she does not clean, she doesn't even pay attention to my schooling. I asked to be taken out of public school due to all the stress at home, I would go across the street to my aunt's and stay there the full day to be away from my parents. But now since my mother plays the computer so often, neither her, nor my father are even the slightest bit interested in my schooling. they never ask about it, grade it, help me on it, nothing. My parents do absolutely nothing for me other than pay for food for me and whatever bills I may generate. There is no love, no support, no attention, nothing. I don't consider myself attached to either of them. If I had a choice I would have left already but Kentucky doesn't have emancipation laws. My question is this. I have a good friend in the state of Georgia who is 22 years of age, he has a steady income, and a 2 bedroom house he lives alone in so there is plenty of room for me. He has offered to pay for my living expenses and look after me. I do not wish to live in this abusive and depressing household any longer. It wears on me each day, and has pushed me to the brink of nearly committing suicide a few times. I would like nothing more than to move to Georgia and live with my friend, but I don't think I can legally. What do you suggest I do? Save all of the "wait until you're 18" stories, I've heard enough of them and they don't solve my problem. I would really like a legal way out of this. It would really make my life enjoyable again. If I cannot find a legal way, I will merely move to Georgia with absolutely no word to my parents, and I will live there in secrecy from my parents and from the government if I have to. Thanks for all the help.

Since you are under 18 (how old are you?), you could end up getting your 22 year old friend in a lot of trouble.

If you are being abused in any way, contact CPS.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I am 16, and I would rather desert my family and live in secrecy than live the sheltered messed up life CPS would offer. Also, my family and no one know where i'd go or who i'd go to.

Comment

Do you care anything for your 22 year old friend, who could go to jail for allowing you to stay with him/her? There are quite a few charges s/he could end up being charged with, resulting in jail time. Don't even imagine that no one would be able to figure out where you are. Even if you don't care about your family, are you really selfish enough to put your friend in legal jeopardy?
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

figured as much from a site like this, thanks for nothing, see you in georgia

Comment

Sweetie, I wish you would listen to us - we know what we are talking about. We're older than you are - you are only 16. Maybe you just don't/can't understand/believe the trouble your friend can get into but it's true.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Would you rather we told you everything was going to be all right and then let you get blindsided when the cops come to your friends' door?

Now, if you want to talk sensibly about this and let us explain to you some of the ways this can blow up in your face, we can do that.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Going to delete this account, figured this site would be full of a bunch of morons trying to outdo one another for fun. For the record, nothing is going to happen. I have nothing traceable with me, and no one I know has ever heard of the person i'm going to. There is no possible way to find out where or who I went to. At most I will be thrown on a missing persons list, and police don't go searching through homes without probable cause. Once i'm 18 my parents lose any bonds over me anyway. I do think it's rather funny though, how all of you think "the big law man" can do whatever he wants. We live in a corrupt, and dying civilization as I, and anyone with sense knows. So I don't hold any respect for unfair laws. There is no way to track down someone with absolutely no ideas, trails, or evidence. In closing, thanks for the replies, got a good laugh out of me.

Comment

Come back and tell us that after you try to enroll in school or get a drivers license without your friend having any record of legal guardianship.

Comment

Wow you're ignorant. I have no desire to finish school or get my driver's license. Just going to wait until I am legally free from my parental bonds and they can't legally do a thing about it. I have checked, no need for proof of legal guardianship for a GED nor a job in Georgia.

Comment

You may not need proof of guardianship, but you have to provide your social security number for educational and professional purposes. How do you think they track people down? Who's being ignorant now?

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped866 View Post
                        Wow you're ignorant. I have no desire to finish school or get my driver's license. Just going to wait until I am legally free from my parental bonds and they can't legally do a thing about it. I have checked, no need for proof of legal guardianship for a GED nor a job in Georgia.
                        I guess you are smarter than those of us who have been through the mill.

Perhaps we should have run away at 16, and ended up living in secrecy for years. Nothing like pretending to be something you are not.

But I guess you think you have everyone fooled.

Some of us have studies communications, and can tell when a post is made by a 16 year old.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X