How to get visitations after termination of parental rights? Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get visitations after termination of parental rights? Kentucky

My husband didn't go to his court date last year and lost custody of his daughter. By default his rights got terminated and his mother got everything. It's a very long story about why all this happened... But since then he has visited his daughter every other weekend and talks to her on the phone once a week if not more. He has babysat her while his mother has went out and been there for all holidays and birthdays. It's tearing him apart that his mother won't let us keep his daughter though, not even for one night, cause she says she would miss her too bad. So my husband wants to get his visitation back. Is there any way he can do? Will they even consider it since he's been there the whole time? Will they consider letting him have anything?

I think you are mistaken. Not showing up to court will not result in a termination of parental rights. It sound slike his failure resulted in Mom being awarded sole physical and legal custody! that has nothing to do with visits. He needs to go to court and get an order of visitation. If Mom violates order she is in contempt
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

How do you go about getting the visitation? Does he need to hire an attorney or is there something that he can do himself? And are the odds ok that he will at least get some type of visitation out of it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephyy07 View Post
        My husband didn't go to his court date last year and lost custody of his daughter. By default his rights got terminated and his mother got everything. It's a very long story about why all this happened... But since then he has visited his daughter every other weekend and talks to her on the phone once a week if not more. He has babysat her while his mother has went out and been there for all holidays and birthdays. It's tearing him apart that his mother won't let us keep his daughter though, not even for one night, cause she says she would miss her too bad. So my husband wants to get his visitation back. Is there any way he can do? Will they even consider it since he's been there the whole time? Will they consider letting him have anything?
        Why does your husband's mother have custody?

Where is the child's mother?

It sounds like your husband is going to need to speak to a local attorney. Not appearing in court when the mother is given custody is one thing, but not appearing and having the Grandmother be given custody is something else.

He needs to get a consult ASAP.

Comment

My husband and his ex lived with his parents during the pregnancy and until they split up when his daughter was about 15 months old. During that time, my husband worked a lot of hours trying to get enough money for them to live on their own. His ex didn't want to leave his parents house at all. Because honestly they have tons of money and they gave her the kinda life she always wanted. Since my husband and his ex both worked his mother kept his daughter all the time. She became extremely attached to her. My husband says that it even came to the point where his daughter didn't know which one was her mother and called grandmother mom. He tried to talk to his ex but she didn't really want to give up being able to run around and do her own thing, so she kept on letting my husband's mom do all the work and start taking over. So when they finally split, it was because he told her he had enough and made her leave. My husbands mom went insane trying to keep her grandaughter with her, she even went so far as to try to pay my husbands ex for her. So when his ex found a new guy and couldn't find the time for her daughter, she told my husband that since his mom was basically a mom to her that they both should give custody over to his mom. He didn't agree with that. When he told them no, they all went against him. His entire family, his ex, and even extended family in other states was calling him and telling him how bad he was to try to take his child away from his mother. It's never been about his daughter to any of them it's always been about keeping his mother happy. His father even made the comment that he didn't know what his wife would do with the grandaughter there with her because she gets so lonely. My husband has regretted his decision for the past year, and has decided that he wants his daughter with him and he doesn't care if the whole world goes against him this time. He loves her so much, and it's been killing him that his own mother turned against him when he thought she was on his side. So that's the story.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X