I want to go home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to go home

Can i move out of state with my kids having no divorce? The father pays no support. He lives in a different county with his new 16 year old girlfriend. I want to go back home where I grew up and where both mine and his families are. It would be the best for my children(school wise and financially and support wise). They are not in school yet so they would not be leaving any schools or friends behind here. We have not filed for a divorce yet. I have basically raised the kids on my own through the whole marraige anyways. He was locked up most of our marraige and didn't work for the times he was home. The last time he left us stranded and took everything we had, not considering how it would effect the kids lives. There is a lot more to the situation, if anyone is interested I will explain further. I just really want to know if I can legally move before we are divorced with the children. I do plan on notifying him, I just want to know if he can stop me without us being divorced and the kids have always been in my custody and he has never payed support(which I honestly do not care about, but I know that is something the courts look at). He is not a mentally stable person and I just want to know if anyone can tell me where I stand. I understand no one can give "actual legal" advice but if you know anything it would help. I don't really have the money for consulting a lawyer right now.

Originally posted by sn0w_ang3l_7108 View Post
    Can i move out of state with my kids having no divorce? The father pays no support. He lives in a different county with his new 16 year old girlfriend. I want to go back home where I grew up and where both mine and his families are. It would be the best for my children(school wise and financially and support wise). They are not in school yet so they would not be leaving any schools or friends behind here. We have not filed for a divorce yet. I have basically raised the kids on my own through the whole marraige anyways. He was locked up most of our marraige and didn't work for the times he was home. The last time he left us stranded and took everything we had, not considering how it would effect the kids lives. There is a lot more to the situation, if anyone is interested I will explain further. I just really want to know if I can legally move before we are divorced with the children. I do plan on notifying him, I just want to know if he can stop me without us being divorced and the kids have always been in my custody and he has never payed support(which I honestly do not care about, but I know that is something the courts look at). He is not a mentally stable person and I just want to know if anyone can tell me where I stand. I understand no one can give "actual legal" advice but if you know anything it would help. I don't really have the money for consulting a lawyer right now.
    No, he cannot stop you from moving with the children at this point.

However, he will be able to file and ask the court to order you to bring the children back.

The best course of action will be for you to stay in the state, file for a divorce and ask the court for permission to move the children out of state. Trying to move and then file will create alot of problems for you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X