Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Leaving home at 17 Illinois

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leaving home at 17 Illinois

    I'm 17 years old and my mom is absolutely crazy. She used to be abusive (last time she was was in December 2012) and now just yells all the time and makes me take care of my 2 year brother all the time. She has kicked me out 4 times in 2 years and always tells me to leave and never come back. But every time I talk to her about leaving so we stop fighting shes gets real emotional and freaks out. Could I just leave to go live in a stable home and still go to school, or would the cops come get me and get everyone helping me in trouble? Since she kicks me out isn't that like a free pass to leave?
    I've thought about emancipation but I don't have enough money and not enough reason to get one.
    I really need help, I've dealt with so much from her and I'm going crazy.

  • #2
    Until you are 18, you live where your Mother says. If you are abused "in any way", contact CPS, school counselor or another adult you trust.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      On top of that, can you stomach abandoning your little brother in such an environment?
      I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
      Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
      I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
      Don't worry, be happy. is a good resource!


      • #4
        In any case, emancipation is not granted on the basis of how bad you have it at home. Emancipation, on the rare occasions that it is granted, is based on providing legal protections to those minor who, for reasons outside their own control, found themselves living on their own. It does not free you to go live with someone else who will support you; it allows you to sign contracts (such as leases) and put the light bill in your own name.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


        • #5
          Keep in mind that if you stay somewhere without your parents' permission, the people you are staying with could be arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Do you really want to put someone who cares about you at risk?

          Personally, I don't think she's going to let her free baby sitter go so easily.
          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.


          The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.