Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights Illinois

My husband and I separated 3 months ago. At the time, I believed things to be reconcilable but he has since filed for divorce and become very antagonistic. I received a call today from him that he has spoken to his attorney regarding voluntarily terminating his parental rights of our 1 1/2 year old child. He said he can only terminate rights if I am able to support myself and the child without requiring state aid. I have been a stay at home mom to our son as well as his children from his 1st marriage (who he has custody of) for over 3 years. I have a degree in a field that does not allow for much full time work (photography) and jobs are REALLY hard to find around here doing anything that would even cover babysitting while I'm at work.

1. Does anyone know if that is true?
    2. Does anyone know if that includes being on state insurance?

If he can NOT terminate his rights at this time because of my lack of ability to support my child without support payments from him; can I file for temporary suspension of visitation rights based on the fact that my husband stated he feels it is in the child's best interest to be raised solely by me and that he does not wish to be a part of the child's life at this time?

Thank you.

Visitation and support are two separate issues. I don't know of any court that will terminate parental rights/responsibilities without another person ready to adopt the child, like a current husband. The child has a right to be supported by both parents, and it's all about the best interests of the child, not what either parent wants. That doesn't mean that visitation can't be teriminated, though.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X