Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

    Illinois student sues Starbucks over spill, says cup was defective

    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

    EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- A graduate student at Southern Illinois
    University is suing Starbucks Corp., saying her hands were severely
    burned when coffee spilled from a defective cup.

    According to the lawsuit filed Friday by Molly Alter in Madison County
    court, the cup was bent or creased, causing hot coffee to spill after
    she purchased the beverage Dec. 3 at a Starbucks on campus, the
    Belleville News-Democrat reported.

    The lawsuit seeks damages of more than $50,000.

    A Starbucks spokeswoman told the newspaper Monday that she could not
    comment on the lawsuit because the company had not yet seen it.

    Alter, who is studying metal smithing, had to take grades of
    "incomplete" in three courses because her hands were bandaged "like
    two clubs" for treatment of second-degree burns, said Matthew Marlen,
    her lawyer.

    "There was something wrong with the cup," Marlen said. "Somebody
    should have caught that."

  • #2
    For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

    "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] om...
    Illinois student sues Starbucks over spill, says cup was defective THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- A graduate student at Southern Illinois University is suing Starbucks Corp., saying her hands were severely burned when coffee spilled from a defective cup.
    well, if the cup was truly defective, yea, she should get paid. But I don't
    see how one could prove that.

    JWB


    Comment


    • #3
      For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

      You've REALLY done it now. I'm totally losing it... This REALLY pisses me
      off!

      Caren wrote:
      Illinois student sues Starbucks over spill, says cup was defective THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- A graduate student at Southern Illinois University is suing Starbucks Corp., saying her hands were severely burned when coffee spilled from a defective cup. According to the lawsuit filed Friday by Molly Alter in Madison County court, the cup was bent or creased, causing hot coffee to spill after she purchased the beverage Dec. 3 at a Starbucks on campus, the Belleville News-Democrat reported. The lawsuit seeks damages of more than $50,000. A Starbucks spokeswoman told the newspaper Monday that she could not comment on the lawsuit because the company had not yet seen it. Alter, who is studying metal smithing, had to take grades of "incomplete" in three courses because her hands were bandaged "like two clubs" for treatment of second-degree burns, said Matthew Marlen, her lawyer. "There was something wrong with the cup," Marlen said. "Somebody should have caught that."

      Comment


      • #4
        For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

        Well, don't you think that Starbucks ought to pay up if the cup really
        was defective, as the lawsuit alleges?

        i

        In article <[email protected] >, Caren wrote:
        Illinois student sues Starbucks over spill, says cup was defective THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- A graduate student at Southern Illinois University is suing Starbucks Corp., saying her hands were severely burned when coffee spilled from a defective cup. According to the lawsuit filed Friday by Molly Alter in Madison County court, the cup was bent or creased, causing hot coffee to spill after she purchased the beverage Dec. 3 at a Starbucks on campus, the Belleville News-Democrat reported. The lawsuit seeks damages of more than $50,000. A Starbucks spokeswoman told the newspaper Monday that she could not comment on the lawsuit because the company had not yet seen it. Alter, who is studying metal smithing, had to take grades of "incomplete" in three courses because her hands were bandaged "like two clubs" for treatment of second-degree burns, said Matthew Marlen, her lawyer. "There was something wrong with the cup," Marlen said. "Somebody should have caught that."

        Comment


        • #5
          For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

          "JWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>.. .
          "Caren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
          Illinois student sues Starbucks over spill, says cup was defective THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- A graduate student at Southern Illinois University is suing Starbucks Corp., saying her hands were severely burned when coffee spilled from a defective cup.
          well, if the cup was truly defective, yea, she should get paid. But I don't see how one could prove that. JWB
          I said: For Bill! :-)

          Comment


          • #6
            For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

            Hmm..don't know. How about the manufacturer of the cup rather than
            Starbucks?

            OMG -- I read a story in our paper today that actually sent me to the
            moon. Yesterday, a woman opened a bag of potatoes from the local
            Walmart and then when she turned back around her 11 month old child was
            sticking a live snake in his mouth! That came out of the bag of
            potatoes apparently. Apparently enough that Walmart pulled all the
            potatos off the shelf <probably since all our snakes are hibernating>.
            People claimed it was a copperhead but it was probably a baby rat snake
            <which is confused with copperheads to 90% of Alabamians>. Still, the
            entire scenario would have freaked me out to hysterical proportions!

            Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick to
            death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off
            frivolous lawsuits.

            The potatoes were bagged in Houston.

            amy

            Ignoramus14140 wrote:
            Well, don't you think that Starbucks ought to pay up if the cup really was defective, as the lawsuit alleges? i In article <[email protected] >, Caren wrote:
            Illinois student sues Starbucks over spill, says cup was defective THE ASSOCIATED PRESS EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. -- A graduate student at Southern Illinois University is suing Starbucks Corp., saying her hands were severely burned when coffee spilled from a defective cup. According to the lawsuit filed Friday by Molly Alter in Madison County court, the cup was bent or creased, causing hot coffee to spill after she purchased the beverage Dec. 3 at a Starbucks on campus, the Belleville News-Democrat reported. The lawsuit seeks damages of more than $50,000. A Starbucks spokeswoman told the newspaper Monday that she could not comment on the lawsuit because the company had not yet seen it. Alter, who is studying metal smithing, had to take grades of "incomplete" in three courses because her hands were bandaged "like two clubs" for treatment of second-degree burns, said Matthew Marlen, her lawyer. "There was something wrong with the cup," Marlen said. "Somebody should have caught that."

            Comment


            • #7
              For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

              "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:[email protected]
              Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick to death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits.
              If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is probably
              not the reason.


              Comment


              • #8
                For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)



                JWB wrote:
                "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick to death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits.
                If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is probably not the reason.
                No ****, JWB -- it's because we have children.

                amy

                Comment


                • #9
                  For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)



                  JWB wrote:
                  "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                  Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick to death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits.
                  If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is probably not the reason.
                  PS. You are right ya know -- that should have said "while the rest of
                  the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits".

                  Really, it doesn't chap you *** to see people suing for every little
                  thing while YOUR insurances, etc go up?

                  Maybe I'm a little hypersensitive to THAT, too since my husband has the
                  possibility of getting sued by any moron that screws up on the road --
                  don't you know the "big truck is ALWAYS at fault" in the lawyers eyes?
                  Shoot, there are billboards up in town saying "Have you been in a wreck
                  with a big truck? Call me and I'll get you cash...." Statistically,
                  big trucks cause VERY FEW wrecks....but that doesn't mean we won't get
                  sued to high heaven because of the soccer mom on the cell phone.

                  amy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

                    "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                    news:[email protected]
                    JWB wrote:
                    "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                    Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick
                    to
                    death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits. If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is
                    probably
                    not the reason. No ****, JWB -- it's because we have children.
                    I know lots of people with kids who are doing just fine. Usually the problem
                    lies with the incoming money, not the outgoing. But we had this discussion
                    once already - you know I feel trucking is a lousy profession.

                    But yes, in agreement with your point, kids can be expensive. BTW, how many
                    kids do you have?


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

                      "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                      news:[email protected]
                      JWB wrote:
                      "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                      Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick
                      to
                      death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits. If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is
                      probably
                      not the reason. PS. You are right ya know -- that should have said "while the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits". Really, it doesn't chap you *** to see people suing for every little thing while YOUR insurances, etc go up?
                      Nah. It doesn't.

                      In all honesty, I personally know nobody who even knows somebody whose
                      cousin's stepbrother's uncle got "rich" off a lawsuit. I do know a few that
                      tried, and all were shot down. I honestly think this is made into a *much*
                      bigger deal than it truly is.

                      Besides, many times, "frivolous" lawsuits exposed some pretty ****ty
                      corporate behaviour (off the top of my head - exploding Ford Pintos, and
                      yes, overly hot coffee served in a drive-thru)

                      Maybe I'm a little hypersensitive to THAT, too since my husband has the possibility of getting sued by any moron that screws up on the road -- don't you know the "big truck is ALWAYS at fault" in the lawyers eyes? Shoot, there are billboards up in town saying "Have you been in a wreck with a big truck? Call me and I'll get you cash...." Statistically, big trucks cause VERY FEW wrecks....but that doesn't mean we won't get sued to high heaven because of the soccer mom on the cell phone.
                      With all due respect to your husband, I know firsthand that truckers are
                      nowhere near the noble knights of the road many like to think they are. I'm
                      sorry, anyone who willingly breaks the law and because their boss told them
                      too doesn't rate very high in my book (speeding, driving under the
                      influence, fudging logbooks, avoiding the DOT checkpoints). I realize soccer
                      moms and cell phones are unsafe, but a vivarin-wired trucker on his 12th
                      hour of driving is more lethal. There is no defense for the above-mentioned.
                      Grow a backbone and tell the boss the goods will get there when they get
                      there, at 55 mph (or whatever the speed limit is)


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

                        Amy D wrote:
                        JWB wrote:
                        "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                        Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick to death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits.
                        If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is probably not the reason.
                        PS. You are right ya know -- that should have said "while the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits". Really, it doesn't chap you *** to see people suing for every little thing while YOUR insurances, etc go up?
                        I doubt it. There are many people of this new age generation that feel they
                        are *entitled* to be *protected* against *every possible thing* you can think
                        of!

                        You know, like if you walk into MacDonalds, and the floor is wet (during its
                        cleaning), and you slip on it, you are entitled to sue MacDonalds for your own
                        carelessness (aka stupidity). Because after all, you don't have to be
                        responsible for anything anymore! You were an "innocent victim"! Where is
                        my "entitlement"??

                        Welcome to the 21st century, my dear!
                        /end rant


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

                          "Bill in Co." <[email protected]> wrote in message
                          news:[email protected] hlink.net...
                          I doubt it. There are many people of this new age generation that feel
                          they
                          are *entitled* to be *protected* against *every possible thing* you can
                          think
                          of!
                          Said through the killfile "protecting" him from me.


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

                            "JWB" <[email protected]> writes:
                            "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                            JWB wrote:
                            "Amy D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] > > Would I sue Walmart? Highly doubtful -- although my husband is sick
                            to
                            > death of being broke because the rest of the world is getting rich off > frivolous lawsuits. > If you're broke, others getting rich off of frivolous lawsuits is
                            probably
                            not the reason. PS. You are right ya know -- that should have said "while the rest of the world is getting rich off frivolous lawsuits". Really, it doesn't chap you *** to see people suing for every little thing while YOUR insurances, etc go up?
                            Nah. It doesn't. In all honesty, I personally know nobody who even knows somebody whose cousin's stepbrother's uncle got "rich" off a lawsuit. I do know a few that tried, and all were shot down. I honestly think this is made into a *much* bigger deal than it truly is.
                            I tend to agree with this as far as it goes. I think the courts do a
                            good job dealing with frivolous lawsuits most of the time.

                            There is something which I think is a problem though, which is that
                            often lawsuits which aren't frivolous are given really high
                            settlements, and other times lawsuits about technical issues (for
                            example medical malpractice) are decided by people without the
                            expertise needed to settle them.

                            If your baby dies during childbirth, for example, and you choose to
                            sue, you are fairly likely to get a settlement from the insurance
                            company even if no malpractice is involved. A dead babies plays well
                            with a jury, and insurance companies would like to avoid the risk of a
                            jury settlement.

                            And this points up the third problem: because insurance companies are
                            worried about large settlements, they are often willing to settle
                            without a trial.
                            Besides, many times, "frivolous" lawsuits exposed some pretty ****ty corporate behaviour (off the top of my head - exploding Ford Pintos, and yes, overly hot coffee served in a drive-thru)
                            Yep.
                            Maybe I'm a little hypersensitive to THAT, too since my husband has the possibility of getting sued by any moron that screws up on the road -- don't you know the "big truck is ALWAYS at fault" in the lawyers eyes? Shoot, there are billboards up in town saying "Have you been in a wreck with a big truck? Call me and I'll get you cash...." Statistically, big trucks cause VERY FEW wrecks....but that doesn't mean we won't get sued to high heaven because of the soccer mom on the cell phone. With all due respect to your husband, I know firsthand that truckers are nowhere near the noble knights of the road many like to think they are. I'm sorry, anyone who willingly breaks the law and because their boss told them too doesn't rate very high in my book (speeding, driving under the influence, fudging logbooks, avoiding the DOT checkpoints). I realize soccer moms and cell phones are unsafe, but a vivarin-wired trucker on his 12th hour of driving is more lethal. There is no defense for the above-mentioned. Grow a backbone and tell the boss the goods will get there when they get there, at 55 mph (or whatever the speed limit is)
                            And get fired for it. Well, I agree, that's what I'd do, but it
                            involves more than growing a backbone, it involves looking for a new
                            career!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              For Bill: Sorry, I just couldn't resist sending this to you ;-)

                              My ex was an attorney with the federal government. He would come home talking
                              about the ****edest cases. One of the more memorable was a man suing the
                              government because, as he was walking through a national park with hot springs,
                              his dog (who was unleashed) dug under a fence that was around a hot spring and
                              went into the water, and started yelping because the hot springs was... well,
                              hot. The man climbed the fence, and dove into the water to save the dog. The
                              man was burned. He sued.

                              Now, the park service had 5 or 6 foot fences. The dog was unleashed on federal
                              grounds (illegal). But, the cost of going to a trial, and knowing here was
                              this poor burned guy who *only* wanted to save his dog (I can't remember what
                              happened to the dog... will have to ask) the feds settled with the man.

                              Sorry, Bill.... <giggle>

                              Sheila

                              Comment

                              The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X