Welfare spokesman Tom Shanahan said this week that two babies in Idaho
    have been abandoned in dumpsters since passage of the Safe Haven Act."

Are you interested in the full article for your files? I can scan it
    tomorrow and send it to you via e-mail. Alternatively, you could
    write to the editor of "The West" section of the paper and perhaps she
    will send you an electronic copy. Her name is Margaret Wimborne and
    her e-mail addy is: [email protected]

The PR is available on-line by subscription only. I have the "dead
    tree" version delivered to my door every morning.

Rick
    Adad (occasional alt.a lurker)

(attn Marley) Article on Success with Safe Havens in Idaho

Thanks, Rick. I'd like that. If you scan it and email it to me that would
    be great. [email protected]

Marley

"Rick Norell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Marley, Our local paper had an article today entitled "Safe Haven Act proving successful" byline to Corey Taule, Post Register. Two key quotes: "Since the act became law on July 1, the Department of Health and Welfare said, five babies have been dropped off at safe havens in Idaho". and "The law, however, hasn't completely solved the problem. Health and Welfare spokesman Tom Shanahan said this week that two babies in Idaho have been abandoned in dumpsters since passage of the Safe Haven Act." Are you interested in the full article for your files? I can scan it tomorrow and send it to you via e-mail. Alternatively, you could write to the editor of "The West" section of the paper and perhaps she will send you an electronic copy. Her name is Margaret Wimborne and her e-mail addy is: [email protected] The PR is available on-line by subscription only. I have the "dead tree" version delivered to my door every morning. Rick Adad (occasional alt.a lurker)

Comment

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:36:58 GMT, "Marley Greiner"
      <[email protected]> wrote:
      Thanks, Rick. I'd like that. If you scan it and email it to me that wouldbe great. [email protected]Marley

Okay, I'll send it tomorrow.

Rick
      "Rick Norell" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] .com...
      Marley, Our local paper had an article today entitled "Safe Haven Act proving successful" byline to Corey Taule, Post Register. Two key quotes: "Since the act became law on July 1, the Department of Health and Welfare said, five babies have been dropped off at safe havens in Idaho". and "The law, however, hasn't completely solved the problem. Health and Welfare spokesman Tom Shanahan said this week that two babies in Idaho have been abandoned in dumpsters since passage of the Safe Haven Act." Are you interested in the full article for your files? I can scan it tomorrow and send it to you via e-mail. Alternatively, you could write to the editor of "The West" section of the paper and perhaps she will send you an electronic copy. Her name is Margaret Wimborne and her e-mail addy is: [email protected] The PR is available on-line by subscription only. I have the "dead tree" version delivered to my door every morning. Rick Adad (occasional alt.a lurker)

Comment

Thanks, Rick.

Marley

"Rick Norell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected]
        On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:36:58 GMT, "Marley Greiner" <[email protected]> wrote:
        Thanks, Rick. I'd like that. If you scan it and email it to me that
        would
        be great. [email protected]Marley Okay, I'll send it tomorrow. Rick
        "Rick Norell" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected] .com...

Comment

Was this the story? It's a very good one.
          Jean
          =======
          IDAHO
          http://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=55138

H&W puts reminder out on Safe Haven Act
          ---------------------------------------------------------------
          IDAHO FALLS — If it saved just one baby, Idaho´s Safe Haven Act would be a
          success, the sponsors said two years ago when they made it legal for
          birthparents to abandon their newborn children at designated areas.
          Since July 1, 2001, five babies have been left at safe havens in Idaho. But two
          more have been found abandoned and dead in trash bins since the act became law,
          and advocates say more advertisement of the law is needed.

Health and Welfare spokesman Tom Shanahan said though fliers and posters have
          been distributed at health district offices, hospitals, schools and by juvenile
          detention officers, some young mothers still are not getting the message.

“A lot of it is getting the word out,” Shanahan said. “If we get the word
          out, the program is pretty well set up.”

The law´s author, Senate Majority Leader Bart Davis, said he also sees the
          need for more outreach. A struggling economy has left state agencies pinching
          pennies, but the Department of Health and Welfare needs money in its budget to
          advertise the law, Davis said. “Certainly we need to continue to apprise
          people of this opportunity,” he said.

Still, the senator said he rejoices in the law´s result. All five abandoned
          babies have either been adopted or are going through the adoption process.

“I am frankly extremely excited about the positive impact this legislation
          has had,” Davis said.

He recently had a chance to see the law in action, when he met with an eastern
          Idaho couple who adopted one of the babies.

“It was a tingling moment,” he said.

The law grants birthparents immunity from prosecution if they abandon babies at
          places considered safe havens within 30 days of birth. Almost any medical
          facility qualifies as a safe haven under the law, and children can also be left
          with emergency medical responders.

Because the birthparents are guaranteed anonymity under the law, the Department
          of Health and Welfare will not disclose in which cities the babies were
          abandoned.

Edition Date: 12-01-200

Comment

On 01 Dec 2003 12:43:04 GMT, [email protected] (BabySafeHaven)
            wrote:
            Was this the story? It's a very good one.Jean=======IDAHOhttp://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=55138H&W puts reminder out on Safe Haven Act---------------------------------------------------------------
            (snip)

No, the Statesman is a different paper. Both articles appear to quote
            the same news release but the Post Register version is larger. Would
            you like me to e-mail you the scanned PR article?

Regards,

Rick

Comment

<<<<No, the Statesman is a different paper. Both articles appear to quote
              the same news release but the Post Register version is larger. Would
              you like me to e-mail you the scanned PR article?

Regards,

Rick>>>

E-mail it, or just post it here so we all can read it.
              Thanks,
              Jean

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Rick Norell
                <[email protected]> writes:
                Regards,Rick
                Greetings, Rick.

Decide to come by for the holidays? Hope things are well in your neck of the
                woods.

J.

Comment

On 02 Dec 2003 02:20:27 GMT, [email protected] (J.) wrote:
                  In article <[email protected]>, Rick Norell<[email protected]> writes:
                  Regards,Rick
                  Greetings, Rick.Decide to come by for the holidays? Hope things are well in your neck of thewoods.J.
                  Hi J!

Yes, things are going well for us. Thanks for asking! My son
                  graduated from high school this last spring and has moved out into an
                  apartment. He decided to work for a year before starting college.
                  We've had the opportunity to experience an empty nest. Pluses and
                  minuses as you can imagine. On Thanksgiving, he announced that he
                  would like to move back home so that he can save more money for
                  college... Smart man!

As far as usenet, well I decided to develop other uses for my time and
                  stopped reading for several months. Now that winter is approaching, I
                  think I'll get back to reading usenet and participating as time
                  allows.

Best to you and yours,

Rick

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X