Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the husband be responsible for wife's debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[email protected] (CR) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
    Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything? For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can I be held responsible? I checked into this before I got married and 3 sources told me I can't be held responsible, an attorney, a well known radio talk show host, and Visa. Now I'm hearing that since the state I live in (Alabama) is a community property state, I am responsible and they can garnish my wages. Is this true?
    Alabama is NOT a community property state! The following are:

Arizona
    California
    Idaho
    Louisiana
    Nevada
    New Mexico
    Texas
    Washington
    Wisconsin

HTH,
    Kathi

Comment

Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything? For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can I be held responsible? I checked into this before I got married and 3 sources told me I can't be held responsible, an attorney, a well known radio talk show host, and Visa. Now I'm hearing that since the state I live in (Alabama) is a community property state, I am responsible and they can garnish my wages. Is this true?
      Alabama is NOT a community property state! The following are:

Arizona
      California
      Idaho
      Louisiana
      Nevada
      New Mexico
      Texas
      Washington
      Wisconsin

HTH,
      Kathi

Comment

[email protected] (Kathi) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
        Alabama is NOT a community property state! The following are: Arizona California Idaho Louisiana Nevada New Mexico Texas Washington Wisconsin
        I just looked it up and came up with the same answer. I getting some
        bad information.

Thanks!

Comment

[email protected] (Kathi) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
          Alabama is NOT a community property state! The following are: Arizona California Idaho Louisiana Nevada New Mexico Texas Washington Wisconsin
          I just looked it up and came up with the same answer. I getting some
          bad information.

Thanks!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X