Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the husband be responsible for wife's debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the husband be responsible for wife's debt?

Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything?
    For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can I
    be held responsible?

I checked into this before I got married and 3 sources told me I can't
    be held responsible, an attorney, a well known radio talk show host,
    and Visa. Now I'm hearing that since the state I live in (Alabama) is
    a community property state, I am responsible and they can garnish my
    wages. Is this true?

In article <[email protected] >, CR wrote:
    Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything? For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can I be held responsible? I checked into this before I got married and 3 sources told me I can't be held responsible, an attorney, a well known radio talk show host, and Visa. Now I'm hearing that since the state I live in (Alabama) is a community property state, I am responsible and they can garnish my wages. Is this true?
    it is possibly true, yes, if your wife spent the money on the
    necessities of marriage. it is a mess, as far as Iknow.

I would not, though, take the word of debt collectors at face value,
    if you heard that from them.

What is the nature of the debt, did your wife acquire it while
    married, and what did she spend the money on?

i

Comment

In article <[email protected] >, CR wrote:
      Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything? For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can I be held responsible? I checked into this before I got married and 3 sources told me I can't be held responsible, an attorney, a well known radio talk show host, and Visa. Now I'm hearing that since the state I live in (Alabama) is a community property state, I am responsible and they can garnish my wages. Is this true?
      it is possibly true, yes, if your wife spent the money on the
      necessities of marriage. it is a mess, as far as Iknow.

I would not, though, take the word of debt collectors at face value,
      if you heard that from them.

What is the nature of the debt, did your wife acquire it while
      married, and what did she spend the money on?

i

Comment

"CR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] om...
        Alabama may be different, but I also live in a community property state and
        YES, I am responsible for my wife's debt as she is mine.

EVERY married couple should ALWAYS review their financial state at a minimum
        of once a month together.

Comment

Alabama may be different, but I also live in a community property state and
          YES, I am responsible for my wife's debt as she is mine.

EVERY married couple should ALWAYS review their financial state at a minimum
          of once a month together.

Comment

CR wrote:
            Yes, it will depend on the state law. Was the attorney qualified in
            Alabama? The general rule is that you will not be responsible for the
            credit card unless your signature is on the account or you have some kind
            of joint arrangement with the bank that issued it. There was an old
            English rule that if you left your wife without support, she could pledge
            your credit for necessaries, i.e she could book up food and clothing on
            your account, but that is probably no longer part of Alabama law.

The best thing is to consult an good local attorney.

Doug (Qualified lawyer in Vic, Australia - only vaguely similar.)
            --
            Where's the man could ease a heart
            Like a satin gown?
            --Dorothy Parker, who also said: Women and elephants never forget.
            (A satin gown would not be a "necessary.")

Comment

CR wrote:
              Yes, it will depend on the state law. Was the attorney qualified in
              Alabama? The general rule is that you will not be responsible for the
              credit card unless your signature is on the account or you have some kind
              of joint arrangement with the bank that issued it. There was an old
              English rule that if you left your wife without support, she could pledge
              your credit for necessaries, i.e she could book up food and clothing on
              your account, but that is probably no longer part of Alabama law.

The best thing is to consult an good local attorney.

Doug (Qualified lawyer in Vic, Australia - only vaguely similar.)
              --
              Where's the man could ease a heart
              Like a satin gown?
              --Dorothy Parker, who also said: Women and elephants never forget.
              (A satin gown would not be a "necessary.")

Comment

I'm curious why you would trust the advice of strangers on Usenet over the
                sources that you consulted earlier.

As a general rule, nobody can garnish your wages unless and until they
                receive a judgment against you. If you get sued, then please hire a lawyer
                to represent you.

be held responsible?

wages. Is this true?

Comment

I'm curious why you would trust the advice of strangers on Usenet over the
                  sources that you consulted earlier.

As a general rule, nobody can garnish your wages unless and until they
                  receive a judgment against you. If you get sued, then please hire a lawyer
                  to represent you.

be held responsible?

wages. Is this true?

Comment

>Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything?
                    For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can Ibe held responsible?
                    I'm not familiar with Alabama law but here is the law here in California, which
                    is a community property state.

Any debt incurred by either party, for anything is considered a debt of the
                    marriage. Both parties are equally responsible and liable for 100% of the debt
                    regardless whose name is on the credit card and who signed for it.

And here's the truly scary part! a premuptual agreement can protect your
                    separate assets from your spouse, but it cannot protect you from your spouses
                    creditors.

If the det was acquired by one person prior to marriage I'm not sure what the
                    obligations of a new s pouse would be.

BTW: The bad credit rating of one spouse prior to marriage will lower the
                    credit rating of both partners during the course of the marriage.

Comment

>Can I be responsible for my wife's debt, if I didn't sign anything?
                      For example if she opens up a credit card, with just her name, can Ibe held responsible?
                      I'm not familiar with Alabama law but here is the law here in California, which
                      is a community property state.

Any debt incurred by either party, for anything is considered a debt of the
                      marriage. Both parties are equally responsible and liable for 100% of the debt
                      regardless whose name is on the credit card and who signed for it.

And here's the truly scary part! a premuptual agreement can protect your
                      separate assets from your spouse, but it cannot protect you from your spouses
                      creditors.

If the det was acquired by one person prior to marriage I'm not sure what the
                      obligations of a new s pouse would be.

BTW: The bad credit rating of one spouse prior to marriage will lower the
                      credit rating of both partners during the course of the marriage.

Comment

[email protected]ojunk (Grace) wrote in message
                        Any debt incurred by either party, for anything is considered a debt of the marriage. Both parties are equally responsible and liable for 100% of the debt regardless whose name is on the credit card and who signed for it. And here's the truly scary part! a premuptual agreement can protect your separate assets from your spouse, but it cannot protect you from your spouses creditors.
                        That just doesn't seem right to me.
                        BTW: The bad credit rating of one spouse prior to marriage will lower the credit rating of both partners during the course of the marriage.
                        I'm a cash only person so ruining my credit doesn't really bother me,
                        garnishing my wages would.

Comment

[email protected]ojunk (Grace) wrote in message
                          Any debt incurred by either party, for anything is considered a debt of the marriage. Both parties are equally responsible and liable for 100% of the debt regardless whose name is on the credit card and who signed for it. And here's the truly scary part! a premuptual agreement can protect your separate assets from your spouse, but it cannot protect you from your spouses creditors.
                          BTW: The bad credit rating of one spouse prior to marriage will lower the credit rating of both partners during the course of the marriage.
                          I'm a cash only person so ruining my credit doesn't really bother me,
                          garnishing my wages would.

Comment

>[email protected] (Grace) wrote in message
                            Any debt incurred by either party, for anything is considered a debt of the marriage. Both parties are equally responsible and liable for 100% of the
                            debt
                            regardless whose name is on the credit card and who signed for it. And here's the truly scary part! a premuptual agreement can protect your separate assets from your spouse, but it cannot protect you from your
                            spouses
                            creditors.
                            I'm a cash only person so ruining my credit doesn't really bother me,garnishing my wages would.

I agree completely.

Tthe scary thing is that financial side of marriage is something we may not
                            consider fully when we're in the mood to marry.

Sometimes we do more due diligence selecting a spouse than the average comopany
                            does before hiring an employee.

Comment

>[email protected] (Grace) wrote in message
                              Any debt incurred by either party, for anything is considered a debt of the marriage. Both parties are equally responsible and liable for 100% of the
                              debt
                              regardless whose name is on the credit card and who signed for it. And here's the truly scary part! a premuptual agreement can protect your separate assets from your spouse, but it cannot protect you from your
                              spouses
                              creditors.
                              I'm a cash only person so ruining my credit doesn't really bother me,garnishing my wages would.

I agree completely.

Tthe scary thing is that financial side of marriage is something we may not
                              consider fully when we're in the mood to marry.

Sometimes we do more due diligence selecting a spouse than the average comopany
                              does before hiring an employee.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X