Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

17 Year old male needs help pursuing emancipation? Hawaii

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 Year old male needs help pursuing emancipation? Hawaii


    I am pursuing information / resources if any are available to pursue emancipation as a 17 year old male. I live in the foster system, I am an enlisted DEP member of the U.S Army Reserve, I am unmarried, I have no dependents. I am pursuing emancipation for the sake of bettering my own life by making choices to help my education, and personal life. My mother still has custody over me. Hawaii statue law, says that a minor may seek emancipation if he or she is married, is there any way around this? If not, please, I need some way to talk to a judge or a lawyer. I don't know what to do, someone told me about the Legal Aid Society, but there numbers are busy 24/7, i've tried calling all day yesterday and today, but no luck...

    I really need to live a better life, and I cannot wait untill i am 18. Any help you can offer, advice, etc. Is GLADLY appreciated.

    God bless.

  • #2
    This is the only thing I could find right off:

    Quoting Hawaii Statutes ยง 577-25 - Emancipation of certain minors.

    Any law to the contrary notwithstanding, a minor who has been married pursuant to chapter 572 shall be deemed to be emancipated and shall be regarded as though he or she were of legal age and shall have all the rights, duties, privileges, and responsibilities provided by the civil law to a person who has reached the age of majority under civil law; provided that:

    (1) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to confer upon such person the right to vote in any federal, state, or county election or the right to purchase, possess, or sell alcoholic beverages; and

    (2) Nothing in this section shall change the status of such persons as minors in connection with any criminal law, nor affect the exclusive original jurisdiction of the family court over such persons under section 571-11(1).
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      If the law says that only minors who have been lawfully married can be legally emancipated, then why do you think that there is a way around it?
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.