Terminating a biological father's rights Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminating a biological father's rights Hawaii

I am a single mother to an awesome 6 year old boy who has come to his own conclusion that he has no father. Almost 3 years ago, his father walked out on us and never looked back. This man is bi-polar, possibly schizophrenic, and possibly a sociopath. He has not contacted his son since he left and has made no effort to pay any kind of child support. He has gotten married and currently resides somewhere on the East Coast and has contacted me once to try and get me to give him back a ring he gave me, which I no longer have. I asked him then about why he has not made contact with his son and his response was, "I just don't think he and and I feel each other". I know this man is on the crazy side and I just don't want him to suddenly decide he can jump back into our lives someday. I would like to relinquish any rights he has to our son and I don't ever want to hear from him again if possible. Is there any way of doing this?

Not likely without a step parent willing to step in and adopt
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

I hope you are wrong

I read somewhere that you can terminate someone's rights if they have abandoned their child and not made any attempt to contact them or offer any kind of support in over six months....and it's been almost 3 years. I would also like to see about changing my son's last name, so if anyone has any idea how to go about doing that, let me know. His father is MIA and so I won't be able to have him sign for it.

Comment

You can certainly contact an Attorney over your assumption. However Judges frown on leaving children with onlyone parent even if its an absent one

Comment

So much for best interest of the child

Well, I have no money to contact any lawyers. I am a single Mom raising a child alone in Hawaii with no support from his deadbeat father. And the fact that "Judges" would rather have a child have a parent that can fly in and out of a child's life whenever they please over the child having one stable parent that is going to be there always, is beyond me. People like my son's "sperm donor", should have no parental rights. Parental rights should be earned and he hasn't earned them. The law needs to wake up.

Comment

If he is absent and uninvolved there is no real issue. It might be best to leave things alone until or if you remarry.

Comment

Easier said than done

Easy to say to "leave it alone", but he has another child on the other side of the island whom he has never met nor never supported. Though he has "suddenly" decided to make contact with her and suddenly "wants a relationship" with that child. This child's mother is terrified. As she should very well be. It is this sudden contact that concerns me. This man is the deadbeat yo-yo who can only be a disruptance in any child's life. I just want to protect my child from him.

Comment

Protect child from what? Has he abused other child?

Comment

He's never met the other child (she just turned 3). This man's instablility and irresponsibility is abuse for any child. A child's security is held tight in stability. It is impossible for a child to grow up well adjusted if they have a parent that is yo-yo ing in and out of their lives. Fathers of convenience are better off never trying to be fathers. The child only suffers in disappointment. This to me, is abuse.

Comment

However, it is not abuse from a legal standpoint.
                    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Legally its not. However you were told its unlikely. You can certainly pursue this but doing so without an Attorney only decreases your chance of success

Comment

All I'm saying is that the law is screwed up when it comes to the welfare of children. The fact that it is perfectly legal for a biological parent to disappear and reappear in their lives whenever and there's nothing you can do to stop it, is just plain wrong. A parent that chooses to be gone for years at a time should be terminated of their rights as a parent. The fact that the law doesn't recognize that, is really messed up.

Comment

Have you sought child support? If not why not? That is neglect on ytour part to some degree. It not how fair or unfair the laws are they are what they are. No law in any Democracy is going to force a parent to love a child

Comment

Yes, I have filed for child support and not seen a penny. He is a deadbeat. Plain and simple. He has mental problems and I do believe he will try to come back into our lives someday, just to be disruptive. That is the kind of person he is. I have no intentions of getting married. I have also filed a TRO on him in the past for threatening people in my family. He is nuts and I don't ever want him anywhere near my son. Ever.

Comment

I also do not want this man to "love" my child. I want him OUT of my child's life. Forever. And the fact that I can't do it, is the most frustrating thing ever. He can only cause damage in my son's life, nothing more.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X