Father wants name on Birth Certificate Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father wants name on Birth Certificate Hawaii

The Father and I have not been together in years and my daughter and I moved from Oahu, Hi to Arizona in 2006. My daughter is almost 10 this month and when I had her we were together but at the age of 15 and we chose not to put the fathers name on the BC due to his family not wanting anything to do with my baby or me. So in was is the best interest for the both of us, or all of us. My daughter also doesn't have his last name she has mine. After a year we moved to Arizona the father and I wasn't getting along to well and he stopped calling our daughter, and the summer of 07 she went back and stayed with my mom and things weren't going so good between him and his own family. It was a mess to send her home and the father barely seen her you could count about 5 times he saw her in 2 1/2 months. My daughter was hurt and because she knows who the dad is it hurts more to see her go through this. Anyway getting to my question is he called me the other day and he wanted to talk to me about putting her name on the birth certificate, and I said for what, his reply "Cause i'm her father". He is stating that he doesn't need me to know or sign anything for his name to be on the BC. Is this true and what is the process for him to get his name on the BC? I am currently with my boyfriend and we have been together for almost 3 years and about to have a baby in June, we have bought a house and built a family an life out here, that would be something that the father of my 10yr old daughter would never be able to do. I'm very stressed even as I write this it bothers me, and I know its not going since I am so close to my due date. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Was legal paternity ever established, either via court ordered DNA testing or a legal affidavit of paternity?

If not, he will have to establish paternity first. Then it will be ordered that his name be added to the BC.

You really have no grounds to block any of this from happening. New babies, boyfriends, etc. have nothing to do with establishing legal paternity, legal record of birth, custody/visitation, and child support.
    HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
    How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
    (unique up on him)
    How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
    (same way)

Comment

thaks

No we have not gone to court nor established paternity. If he does put a petition in he would be doing it in Hawaii, since I am in AZ will I get notification or something. Not sure how this works and will I be obligated to change her last name to his. If the courts do put his name on the BC is he foing to be able to take her when he wants?

Comment

No, he won't be filing to establish paternity in HI. He will have to do so where the CHILD is a resident. That would be AZ.

Establishing paternity does not mean he has the right to do what he wants with her, when. It does not mean that her name will change. As a matter of fact, as she is (what?) 10, it is HIGHLY doubtful that a court would order that her name be changed. That wouldn't be in her best interest.

If he wants any form of custody or visitation, he will have to sue for it in court. Until there is a court order granting him any parenting time, he has no rights, even once paternity is established.

If he does file to establish paternity, if you want CS, you will need to file for that. He has no legal obligation to support his child until there is an order in place.
        Last edited by mommyof4; 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM.
        HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
        How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
        (unique up on him)
        How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
        (same way)

Comment

so happy

Thanks so much you have put a smile on my face. Its good news for me since I put in the middle of my daughter and the father and even the way I feel. You have been a lot help

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X