I'm 15 and wanna marry my 19 year old boyfriend, Forsyth County, Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 15 and wanna marry my 19 year old boyfriend, Forsyth County, Georgia

Okay i'm soooo confused and very young.....my boyfriend is 19 and long story short we got warned by the cops and then we didn't listen...he went to jail and now the only way that I can marry him if I get pregnat....well we have NOT had sex and dont want to unless we are married and the loop hole I heard about is if I'm 16 I have concent to date whom ever I want and have sex with whom ever I want!!! is that true?? i wanna be with him but I dont want he to get into any trouble.....i'll be 16 in December and he already went to jail and I dont him to go back!!! Please help me!!! I'm sooo sad it will be 7 moths we have been dating on June first and 4 months since I spoke to him!!!

Marriage License Laws

From Sheri & Bob Stritof,
    Your Guide to Marriage.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

If you've just set a date for your wedding, this can be an exciting time for the two of you! Don't let the marriage license laws of Georgia put a dent in your wedding plans. Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a Georgia marriage license. We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding out of the way about a month before your wedding date.
    Congratulations and much happiness as you begin your lifetime journey together!

Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Georgia. However, if not a resident, you must apply in the county where the marriage is to be performed.
    Identification Requirement
    Two valid forms of id such as drivers license, birth certificate, U. S. passport, Armed Forces ID card, or Resident Alien ID card. Applicants will also be asked to fill out a brief form.

Pre-marital Education: Cobb County offers a free Marital Workshop called FOCUS ON FOREVER. It is a skill-based non-religious workshop designed to address issues concerning communication and listening skills, anger management, and financial planning. Contact the Cobb County Superior Court for more information.

Previous Marriage: If divorced within six months, you will need to show a copy of your divorce decree.

Waiting Period: No waiting period.

Fees: Approximately $26.00+. Some counties will only accept cash.

Other Tests: As of July 1, 2003, blood tests are no longer required.

Common Law Marriages: Yes.

Proxy Marriages: No.

Under 18: If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may apply if accompanied by both parents who have given written consent. If the bride is pregnant, no parental consent is required if you submit a statement from a Georgia licensed physician certifying that the bride is pregnant. If underage applicants already have a child, they should present a certified copy of the birth certificate for the child at the time of application. If parental consent is not required, the court will notify parents or guardians that you have been issued a marriage license. There is an additional fee of $1.00 per letter.

Cousin Marriages:
    Yes.

from http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriag.../p/georgia.htm

Comment

age doesn't matter when dating. atleast not in fl. i don't know about GA. but if ur parents are okay with both of you dating then thats fine. YOU don't need to get pregnant to marry him. if your parents sign for u then u can get married.

Comment

***GEORGIA LAW***

It appears that there is more to the story that what you are saying. If your boyfriend went to jail, he must have either violated a law at that time or in the past and/or had an arrest warrant or restraining order. It is very unusual and highly unlikely that he was arrested on the basis of being in your presence. There must have been a violation of the law.

Is/are your parent(s) prohibiting you from seeing your boyfriend? If so, they have the statutory right to do so. If not, you have the right to date your 19 year old boyfriend. However, you do not have the right engage in deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact. You must be at least 16 years of age.

Age is a factor in marriages where a person or both persons have not reached the age of majority. A parent must consent to the marriage of a child younger than 18 years of age but over 16. However, the age of limitations do not apply if there is proof of pregnancy.

These statutes are very confusing.
        1a. It is unlawful for a person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact with a person younger than 16 years of age.
        1b. Title 19 (Marriage) states that a person must be 18 years of age to enter into marriage.
        1c. Title 19 does not specifically state an age requirement for the male if the female is pregnant and both are applying for a marriage liscense.
        - However, two persons of the opposite sex may contract marriage, regardless of age, if it is determined that the female is pregnant.
        2. The Title 19 (Marriage) states that a married person may make contracts with other persons.
        - However, Title 39 (Minors) states that the legal age of majority is 18 and all others are considered minors until then. Therefore, it does not provide a specific statute regarding minors who are married, enlisted in the military, or emancipated through a court order.

Upon further thought, these laws lead me to believe that the preceding offenses punishable by law are Statutory Rape (Title 16-6-3), Child Molestation (16-6-4), and Enticing a Child for Indecent Purposes (Title 16-6-5). These laws prohibit deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact of any form with a child under the age of 16. Despite there being a "loophole" where a person can engage in deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact with a child if they are married and were given a marriage liscense on the basis of the female being pregnant, the criminal offense takes priority. The basis for issuing a marriage liscense to an applicant who is female and pregnant is a statutory priveledge, where as Statutory Rape, Child Molestation, and Enticing a Child for Indecent Purposes are all statutory offenses.

Summary: Despite the "loopholes" and lack thereof in the Georgia statutes, the bottom line is that it is against the law for a person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse or sexual contact of any form with a child younger than 16 years of age, even if the intent is to impregnate the female for purposes of marriage. The law does provide that a pregnant female may enter into marriage regardless of age, but if that female is under the age of 16, three laws were violated in the process and therefore, take precedence over any statutory priveledges.

If you have any questions, let me know...

Comment

Great Source For Georgia Marriage Questions

http://www.teen-aid.org/state_resourses/georgia.htm
          Last edited by tsanes; 01-26-2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

If you are pregnant or already had a baby

If you are pregnant or already had a baby you can get married in Georgia with no problem. You do not need parental consent. If your baby is already born you will need to bring the babys birth certificate, your birth certificate and I think your social security card. My best friends daughter just recently got married in May she was 15 her boyfriend/husband is 18. They had no problem. They paid their license fee showed the proper paperwork (birth certificates etc.) and were married.

Comment

One, the OP started this thread over a year ago. Two, your information is incorrect. A minor (under 18) may no longer get married in GA without parental consent (and the parents must be physically present to give consent) or a court order. No one may marry under the age of 16 without a court order. Three, the OP was not pregnant, nor did she have a child with the boyfriend, so this a moot point.
              Last edited by mommyof4; 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM.
              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
              How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
              (unique up on him)
              How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
              (same way)

Comment

Well I know for a fact a 15 year old was married onMay 25, 2006 with no parental consent. Whether the post was a year ago or not fact is fact. The information that was giving wasn't necessarily for that particular person there have been other inquires about getting married.
                Last edited by tsanes; 06-22-2006, 12:35 PM.

Comment

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/news/...s/14373073.htm

Wed, Apr. 19, 2006

Perdue signs bill that closes loophole in marriage law
                  By Greg Bluestein
                  ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA - Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue signed legislation Tuesday that closes a loophole in state law that allowed couples of any age to get married without parental consent in the case of a pregnancy.

Prompted by the case of a pregnant woman who married a 15-year-old boy, the law bans teens under 16 from marrying and deletes language in the state code that allowed a minor to wed regardless of age or parental consent if there is a pregnancy.

The bill allows 16- or 17-year-olds to marry, but only with the approval of a parent or guardian and the confirmation of a probate judge.

Comment

Originally posted by tsanes
                    Well I know for a fact a 15 year old was married onMay 25, 2006 with no parental consent. Whether the post was a year ago or not fact is fact. The information that was giving wasn't necessarily for that particular person there have been other inquires about getting married.
                    There's a chance the law might not have gone into effect immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyvill1985
                      Okay i'm soooo confused and very young.....my boyfriend is 19 and long story short we got warned by the cops and then we didn't listen...he went to jail and now the only way that I can marry him if I get pregnat....well we have NOT had sex and dont want to unless we are married and the loop hole I heard about is if I'm 16 I have concent to date whom ever I want and have sex with whom ever I want!!! is that true?? i wanna be with him but I dont want he to get into any trouble.....i'll be 16 in December and he already went to jail and I dont him to go back!!! Please help me!!! I'm sooo sad it will be 7 moths we have been dating on June first and 4 months since I spoke to him!!!
                      Although this is a year old, since someone already re-opened this up, I will answer as a reference to other teenagers.

If you engage in any sexual contact, this is called child molestation because you are under 16 (though I realize you are 16 now). It could be either a misdemeanor or felony, depending on your exact birthdays. It would be a misdemeanor if you are within 4 years of him (down to the EXACT day) and a felony if you are more than 4 years younger than him. Since you are 15 and he is 19, it could obviously go either way, depending only upon your exact birthdays.

As a side note, OP, you state "the only way I can marry him is if I am pregnant." Why the HELL would you want to get married at 15? And why the HELL would you want to be pregnant at 15? This just completely blows my mind and so do alot of you kids.
                      Last edited by confused232; 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by confused232
                        If you engage in any sexual contact, this is called child molestation because you are under 16 (though I realize you are 16 now). It could be either a misdemeanor or felony, depending on your exact birthdays. It would be a misdemeanor if you are within 4 years of him (down to the EXACT day) and a felony if you are more than 4 years younger than him.
                        If you see anything in the code indicating that there is an 'age cushion' which would only make child molestation a misdemeanor, then point it out, because I'm not seeing it. It is a felony, regardless of the age difference.

Georgia Code
                        16-6-4

(a) A person commits the offense of child molestation when he or she does any immoral or indecent act to or in the presence of or with any child under the age of 16 years with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the person.

(b) A person convicted of a first offense of child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years. Upon such first conviction of the offense of child molestation, the judge may probate the sentence; and such probation may be upon the special condition that the defendant undergo a mandatory period of counseling administered by a licensed psychiatrist or a licensed psychologist. However, if the judge finds that such probation should not be imposed, he or she shall sentence the defendant to imprisonment; provided, further, that upon a defendant´s being incarcerated on a conviction for such first offense, the Department of Corrections shall provide counseling to such defendant. Upon a second or subsequent conviction of an offense of child molestation, the defendant shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten years nor more than 30 years or by imprisonment for life; provided, however, that prior to trial, a defendant shall be given notice, in writing, that the state intends to seek a punishment of life imprisonment. Adjudication of guilt or imposition of sentence for a conviction of a second or subsequent offense of child molestation, including a plea of nolo contendere, shall not be suspended, probated, deferred, or withheld.

(c) A person commits the offense of aggravated child molestation when such person commits an offense of child molestation which act physically injures the child or involves an act of sodomy.

(d)(1) A person convicted of the offense of aggravated child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 30 years. Any person convicted under this Code section of the offense of aggravated child molestation shall, in addition, be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.1 and 17-10-7.

(2) The court sentencing a person who has been convicted of a first offense of aggravated child molestation when the victim is 16 years of age or younger at the time of the offense is authorized to require, before sentencing, that the defendant undergo a psychiatric evaluation to ascertain whether or not medroxyprogesterone acetate chemical treatment or its equivalent would be effective in changing the defendant´s behavior. If it is determined by a qualified mental health professional that such treatment would be effective, the court may require, as a condition of probation and upon provisions arranged between the court and the defendant, the defendant to undergo medroxyprogesterone acetate treatment or its chemical equivalent which must be coupled with treatment by a qualified mental health professional. In case of a person sentenced to probation who is required to undergo such treatment or its chemical equivalent and is in the custody of a law enforcement agency or confined in a jail at the time of sentencing, when he or she becomes eligible for probation, such person shall begin medroxyprogesterone acetate treatment and counseling prior to his or her release from custody or confinement. A person sentenced to probation who is required to undergo such treatment and who is not in the custody of a law enforcement agency or confined in a jail at the time of sentencing shall be taken into custody or confined until treatment can begin. Additional treatment may continue after such defendant´s release from custody or confinement until the defendant demonstrates to the court that such treatment is no longer necessary. No such treatment shall be administered until such person has been fully informed of the side effects of hormonal chemical treatment and has consented to the treatment in writing. The administration of the treatment shall conform to the procedures and conditions set out in subsection (c) of Code Section 42-9-44.2.

(3) Any physician or qualified mental health professional who acts in good faith in compliance with the provisions of this Code section and subsection (c) of Code Section 42-9-44.2 in the administration of treatment or provision of counseling provided for in this Code section shall be immune from civil or criminal liability for his or her actions in connection with such treatment or counseling.
                        Last edited by pty; 06-22-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

wait before you marry

Originally posted by crazyvill1985
                          hun, you DONT want to get married at 16, trust me, nor do you want to get pregnant. my father in law got married at 16, and it lasted 2 yrs. by the time they divorced, they had two sons. my sister in law married at 16, my other sister in law is 13, and is raising a child by herself. trust me, you dont want to go there

Comment

Originally posted by kelly abernathy
                            hun, you DONT want to get married at 16, trust me, nor do you want to get pregnant. my father in law got married at 16, and it lasted 2 yrs. by the time they divorced, they had two sons. my sister in law married at 16, my other sister in law is 13, and is raising a child by herself. trust me, you dont want to go there
                            You do realize she made that post 2 months ago, right?
                            Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Hey look!!! Kelly decided to use her full name. Kelly, you need to have your computer confiscated. And just for the record, I would like to know what state your sister in law was in that allowed her to marry at the age of 13 and what, did she have a baby at the ripe old age of 11??? Woman... you're screwy.
                              Last edited by mommyof4; 08-22-2006, 01:34 PM.
                              HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!
                              How do you catch a very rare rabbit?
                              (unique up on him)
                              How do catch an ordinary rabbit?
                              (same way)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X